Expressing Anal Glands

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
bburk4883
Newborn Bully

Expressing Anal Glands

Postby bburk4883 » Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:14 am

Does anyone do this on their own at home? Or do you take your dog to the vet/groomer? I believe I'm taking Bane to the vet to have his expressed, his poop and him passing gas can LITERALLY clear out a whole room! I hope having this done will help with this problem! I've watched several instructional videos how to do *this* however I think I'll pass and leave it to the pros... :thumbsup: LOL

pblove
Addicted to PBF

Re: Expressing Anal Glands

Postby pblove » Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:19 am

what are you feeding him?

bburk4883
Newborn Bully

Postby bburk4883 » Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:04 pm

Well I just adopted Bane not long ago, I dont know what the previous owners were feeding him, they didnt say. Could you reccomend a good dog food brand? Perhaps Iams, pedigree, or purina would be good? I live in a small town with a pop less than 7,000 so its hard to find a good selection in local stores around here. I hear expressing the glands is something that needs to be done every now and then anyways? Hmm

jamielvsaustin

Postby jamielvsaustin » Mon Jun 06, 2011 3:59 pm

bburk4883 wrote:I hear expressing the glands is something that needs to be done every now and then anyways? Hmm

Some dogs need it and some don't. Our boy Trooper can express his own, and I often see him do it after he poops. Bailey-our girl needs it done every once in a while-but mostly only on one side.

The need for them to be expressed can depend on the dog and on the type of food fed, as pblove mentioned.

bburk4883
Newborn Bully

Postby bburk4883 » Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:37 pm

Thanks for the info! :D

PitBull-Lady
Addicted to PBF

Expressing Anal Glands

Postby PitBull-Lady » Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:07 pm

As for food, a couple of thoughts, in general, the better the food, the better thebpoop quality, the better the smell. However in my house there is Capone...who can clear a room on THE best food lol

You may want to consider mail order. Sometimes you can get it delivered for not too much extra. Especially if it is from the manufacturer.

But what you might want to do is get no-name quality food like the Kirkland brand (Costco) dog food. You may be able to mail order too.

Any food is better than no food but not all food is created equal. Read through a bunch of the threads in the food section. I think you may find some of the info you are looking for.

Celesteandthebullies
Addicted to PBF

Postby Celesteandthebullies » Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:37 pm

I don't recommend Iams, Purina, or Pedigree.

Here are some brands I'd recommend, you can type in your zip code and see if any are in stores near you.

http://tasteofthewildpetfood.com/
http://bluebuffalo.com/
http://www.orijen.ca/orijen/about/
http://www.evopet.com/
http://www.naturalbalanceinc.com/

And you can always buy online and have it shipped. :)

Cherry
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby Cherry » Sat Jun 11, 2011 12:05 pm

My dog has always been on very high quality foods and still has trouble expressing her own anal glands so I just do them at home when she starts her butt scooting. It is super easy! Stinky but I've got it down so it squirts straight out with no dribble on her at all! We just do it outside. Worst smell in the world though!! It got in my hair once. :(

Anyways, I just had the vet teach me how to do it. She was happy to show me, said that she wished more owners would do it themselves haha.

pblove
Addicted to PBF

Postby pblove » Mon Jun 13, 2011 12:39 pm

Cherry wrote: It got in my hair once. :(

ewwwwwwwww lol

Cherry
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby Cherry » Tue Jun 14, 2011 6:09 pm

Ya... Never will I wear my hair down again when I do it LOL. Took forever to get the smell out.

PitBull-Lady
Addicted to PBF

Postby PitBull-Lady » Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:25 pm

Cherry wrote:Ya... Never will I wear my hair down again when I do it LOL. Took forever to get the smell out.

Oh gawd! when I read that I wanted to get sick ...I'm sorry you did that, but thanks for the heads up on tying the hair back!

Odnarb

Postby Odnarb » Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:10 pm

bburk4883 wrote:Well I just adopted Bane not long ago, I dont know what the previous owners were feeding him, they didnt say. Could you reccomend a good dog food brand? Perhaps Iams, pedigree, or purina would be good? I live in a small town with a pop less than 7,000 so its hard to find a good selection in local stores around here. I hear expressing the glands is something that needs to be done every now and then anyways? Hmm

I live in a small town, too. Check the feed, farm, and hardware stores. Sometimes they carry really good pet foods!

haircrazie016
Bully Ambassador

Postby haircrazie016 » Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:44 pm

I do anal glands myself. Couda and Paige need them expressed routinely no matter what food they are on. If it turns out this is something he needs help with regularly, have the vet show you how in person, its really not too bad. Couda has squirted a few times and that can be gross, but overall its not too messy, and doesnt take very long.

Return to “Health Issues”