Healthy weight

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
snikles
Adolescent Bully

Re: Healthy weight

Postby snikles » Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:00 pm

Nichole wrote:
PitCurious wrote:Does this sound right??

She's defiantly gained some, the ribs are much less pronounced. But do yours really not have ribs showing?

Mine have ribs showing. I think most trim, healthy dogs (esp dogs with really short coats like ours) without excess pounds show ribs to some degree.

Both your dogs are fit and beautiful, but I know plenty of trim, healthy short coat dogs that do not show any ribs. I don't think it is a good idea to try and promote ribs showing as some type of standard for people to shoot for.

Nichole
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby Nichole » Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:17 pm

PitCurious wrote:Thank you,

Pics from today:

This picture makes me wonder if she should gain a little more. It's hard to know for sure without putting hands on her to feel her, but with the amount of rib showing I'd lean towards having her gain a little more.

PitCurious
Newborn Bully

Healthy weight

Postby PitCurious » Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:26 pm

Celesteandthebullies wrote:I don't think she looks skinny but it's hard to tell. Do you have any side pictures of her standing?

Sure, but they I can't get them uploaded! I'll try to get some pics of her playing outside tomorrow. These pics were an afterthought today and shge was tuckered out from playing in the heat. I had to bribe her to get out of bed at all. Lol. Try again tomorrow.

I don't mind fattening her up at all, but would like to keep her on the lighter side of things because she has HD.

Celesteandthebullies
Addicted to PBF

Postby Celesteandthebullies » Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:27 pm

Nichole wrote:

Pics from today:

This picture makes me wonder if she should gain a little more. It's hard to know for sure without putting hands on her to feel her, but with the amount of rib showing I'd lean towards having her gain a little more.

For some reason the picture linked above didn't show earlier when I looked. But I agree/feel the same way as Nichole on that one.

PitCurious
Newborn Bully

Healthy weight

Postby PitCurious » Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:30 pm

snikles wrote:
Nichole wrote:
PitCurious wrote:Does this sound right??

She's defiantly gained some, the ribs are much less pronounced. But do yours really not have ribs showing?

Mine have ribs showing. I think most trim, healthy dogs (esp dogs with really short coats like ours) without excess pounds show ribs to some degree.

Both your dogs are fit and beautiful, but I know plenty of trim, healthy short coat dogs that do not show any ribs. I don't think it is a good idea to try and promote ribs showing as some type of standard for people to shoot for.

Thank you, and I agree. I really like where BG is at right now...a healthy light layer of fat and muscle.

Actually, the pics of snow I'd seen elsewhere on the board made me ask... Because she looks healthy to me and yet you do not see any ribs.

PitCurious
Newborn Bully

Healthy weight

Postby PitCurious » Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:33 pm

SnowKoi2010 wrote:yeah she could use some weight on her. How much does she currently weight?

I don't know. Going to have her weighed tomorrow. She started out at about 52lbs 2 months or so ago (maybe it's been longer?).

PitCurious
Newborn Bully

Healthy weight

Postby PitCurious » Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:34 pm

Reading that other link, maybe the Thing that stands out as a clue to: too skinny, is that it's not just the ribs, but her spine still sticks out some. :?

Nichole
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby Nichole » Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:40 pm

PitCurious wrote:Reading that other link, maybe the Thing that stands out as a clue to: too skinny, is that it's not just the ribs, but her spine still sticks out some. :?

While her spine does look prominent, it's hard to gauge that in the position she is in. The best way to eval the spine is in a standing position. I keep Sadie on the lean side and when she is curled up in a ball her spine becomes exaggerated. Stand her up and it's not nearly so prominent. So while her spine is probably a too prominent, the position she is in doesnt help.

ETA - the picture I quoted above looks like she is in a standing position? If so, then yes imo her spine is too prominent.

Sarah
Dabbling Dog Coddler

Postby Sarah » Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:22 am

She is too thin, and needs to gain weight. I do think a fit dog of a smooth coated breed should be showing some rib. Nichole's dogs are an example of that, they are in good condition. This dog doesn't have a lot of muscle, though, which should also be easy to see.

The Purina weight chart is IMO misleading. Dog body styles vary, and on dogs of this type, you should see rib on a fit dog. See, though, how on this flying dog, you see not just rib, but clear muscle definition?

If you are seeing just rib and little or no muscle, a dog is underweight.

Oh, and also, the spine will not usually protrude on a dog at a healthy weight, unless the dog has a spinal problem.

FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF

Postby FBODGRL » Wed Jun 15, 2011 2:41 am

I agree that she looks too thin and I would put a little weight on her.

Actually something that frustrates me about this board is people tend to push and push about rib showing and telling people theirs dogs are fat (which is rude IMO), etc. Considering that then some people take a lot of weight of their dog and the dog is just skinny and not conditioned. Every dog is different genetically some will look a certain way and others won't

sorry OP for that little off topic tangent lol

GSDBulldog
Addicted to PBF

Postby GSDBulldog » Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:04 am

Sarah wrote:She is too thin, and needs to gain weight. I do think a fit dog of a smooth coated breed should be showing some rib. Nichole's dogs are an example of that, they are in good condition. This dog doesn't have a lot of muscle, though, which should also be easy to see.

The Purina weight chart is IMO misleading. Dog body styles vary, and on dogs of this type, you should see rib on a fit dog. See, though, how on this flying dog, you see not just rib, but clear muscle definition?

If you are seeing just rib and little or no muscle, a dog is underweight.

Oh, and also, the spine will not usually protrude on a dog at a healthy weight, unless the dog has a spinal problem.

x2

It's evident that the dog has been through a lot; the first order of business is to get her fat and happy first. Worry about muscle tone and "conditioning" later. And yes, I would put more weight on her while integrating some light exercise to build some muscle tone.

PitCurious
Newborn Bully

Healthy weight

Postby PitCurious » Wed Jun 15, 2011 5:58 pm

I think it was more obvious outside today. Image

PitCurious
Newborn Bully

Healthy weight

Postby PitCurious » Wed Jun 15, 2011 6:19 pm

Pics from today:

This was her standing, btw!

I know they aren't the best pics, but it's the best I can do for now- she just won't stay still and standing up!

SnowKoi2010
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby SnowKoi2010 » Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:15 pm

PitCurious wrote:I think it was more obvious outside today. Image

Nice side pictures. I can see that she does need to put on at least 10 or so pounds. Maybe 5, but she does need to gain weight.

Nichole
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby Nichole » Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:18 pm

Yah the new pics confirm the above thoughts which is she needs to gain some more weight. All that romping around will help her get the muscle conditioning she needs while she gains weight. Slow and steady wins the race :)

Return to “Health Issues”