Thinking About Switching to Feeding Raw

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
Absoulte
Newborn Bully

Thinking About Switching to Feeding Raw

Postby Absoulte » Mon Jun 13, 2011 5:00 pm

My mother and I were recently talking to my cousin who has switched his dogs over to raw completely (he feeds chicken/turkey etc). We are seriously considering it because it makes sense to us for many reasons. My question is how do we go about doing it to make sure they are getting the nutrients they need out of it? I read something that says switch the meat every week (so one week do chicken, the next turkey, the next rat or whatever). I am worried really about the joints and hips aspect of it more than anything else. I don't want to put our dogs on this diet and later have major issues with joints and hips. Just any information on raw feeding that you can give me, and your personal story on it would be great. How long you have been feeding it, what you feed and how much/how often etc. etc. :) Thanks!

FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF

Re: Thinking About Switching to Feeding Raw

Postby FBODGRL » Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:09 pm

There are several recent posts about this and some over the last few months. I know if you search my user name you will find at least a couple that I started.

I encourage you to do a lot of research before switching to raw. There is info here, yahoo groups and books. Make sure you understand what type of raw you want to feed and the proper way to do so. If you feed correctly you shouldn't worry about adverse reactions.

I have hit some bumps in the road along the way (we started prey model raw in the fall), but it has been amazing for Khan and he is thriving. His coat looks amazing, he looks great and his allergies have done a complete turn around.

white0nr1ce
Newborn Bully

Re: Thinking About Switching to Feeding Raw

Postby white0nr1ce » Mon Jun 20, 2011 12:46 pm

I personally read the barf 101 thread start tofinish and read through a lot of the great sources they had linked or otherwise sourced. You can find a plethera of information just searching raw and/or barf then narrowing it down to what suits your dogs needs. (Then searching keywords of what ever else you have unanswered questions about) There are a few posts of questions I still had and clarifiation needed AFTER probably a solid week or more of just reading! I just recently switched my 1 yo and my 8 yo and both are doing great! It is very important you do your research and being sure of your decision and capability before starting. Do not be intimidated, but do not your dogs diet lightly, either. Most dogs do very well when the raw diet is done right. Apollo and jewels have had had chicken, turkey, pork, and will be trying beef this week. I usually spend some timethe day I shop weighing portions and making organ cubes so the daily routine lasts as long as it takes for them to eat and me to clean.

Return to “Health Issues”