Infected stitches?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
APBT<3er
Forum Junky

Infected stitches?

Postby APBT<3er » Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:40 pm

Dolly's stitches seem to be red and inflamed, there is no puss coming out, and I don't think they're quite infected yet but may become infected so I wanted to know if there is anything I can do at home for her before bringing her in to the vet. Her surgery cost me $400, my cat that was put to sleep a few months ago cost me over $1000 and the mini poodle needs a teeth cleaning something wicked, its not that I can't afford the vet visits, but with the wedding and the baby coming its been REALLY hard on us lately because it all seems to be everything at once.. If I have to bring her to the vet I will, I'm not one of those crummy dog owners who will try to doctor her up at home if it isn't going to do her any good, but if the vet is going to just tell me to put some polysporin on it, then I could easily save a $50 consultation.. Anywho, if anyone has any advice, please let me know.

Mooresmajestic
Bully Lover 4 Life

Re: Infected stitches?

Postby Mooresmajestic » Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:06 pm

Not sure what the sutures are for, but the majority of issues like this we see as rechecks at work for spay/neuters are usually from A: the dog licking it or B: the dog is too active or a combination of both.

Watch it closely, put an e-collar (the cone not a shock collar) on her and keep her confined.

Most vets will do a surgery recheck at no charge.

APBT<3er
Forum Junky

Postby APBT<3er » Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:32 pm

The surgery was to remove a tumor on her left hind leg. We called the vet today and he told us to keep the e-collar on and watch it, to clean it with soap and water and then put polysporin on it... We cleaned it with peroxide last night to kill any infection or atleast to nip it in the bud and now we've moved on to the soap/water/polysporin and theres already a huge difference. No more swelling and its only a little pink instead of red.

I guess it was just as well that we called today because it turns out that the tumor WAS cancerous. The results from the biopsy showed that it was a cancerous tumor cell and apparently with the type of cancer that it was, with surgery, she has a 90% chance at a full life.

She hates us right now because shes in the cone of shame, but we love her so we keep it on.

PitBull-Lady
Addicted to PBF

Postby PitBull-Lady » Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:23 pm

:hug: sorry about the diagnosis :hug:
:thumbsup: great for the prognosis!

APBT<3er
Forum Junky

Postby APBT<3er » Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:41 pm

thx :) its been a stressful few weeks, so this was definitely good news...

Return to “Health Issues”