Recovering from Parvo

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Recovering from Parvo

Postby TB » Sun Dec 07, 2003 2:56 pm

Hi everyone. This is my first post on this board. A bit about me-I am involved in rescue in Northern Cal, not pit bull specific rescue, but we always have pit bulls because there are so many in need! Anyway, my question is about a pup we took in recently who is recovering from parvo. He is a 13 week old Dane and had a relatively mild case of parvo, is home from the hospital and recovering nicely. I was told by the vet on duty when I picked him up, that he would be shedding virus for seven days after the cessation of symptoms. I've heard a lot of different timeframes for this including 2 weeks following exposure and up to a month after symptoms go away. I'm not overly concerned about the adult dogs, as they are all healthy and vaccinate, but we have a litter of pit bull puppies, now five weeks old, who will be coming here for weaning, spaying, etc in a couple weeks, and I am PARANOID about exposing the babies. We have Dane pup isolated, and are taking hygenic precautions, but I really need to know how long this guy will be shedding the virus. It's been a couple years since we've done a parvo dog, and then there were no pups to be concerned about. I would be glad to hear any info anyone might have, especially those who have dealt with this disease.
TB
Adolescent Bully

Return to Health Issues