OFA Hips & Elbows

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

OFA Hips & Elbows

Postby Nichole » Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:06 pm

I want to get Sadie done. She's 2.5 years old now. This isn't for breeding purposes, it is my desire to be thorough for a couple of reasons:
1) to get a baseline for her in case any issues arise in the future
2) She is active in flyball, getting into agility, both of which are active sports. If there are issues, I want to know before I hurt her.

I found a place in Kirkland that'll do hips for $297 and hips+elbows for $473.
I know I want the hips. What are thoughts on elbows?
Nichole
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Re: OFA Hips & Elbows

Postby Sarah » Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:27 pm

Get the elbows. Staffords in OFA stats are 14th of 104 breeds for prevalence of HD (Amstaffs are 13th, and APBTs are 16th, so we're all in the same sucky boat)

If you want to wait, are patient, and want to save money, you can get them done at the Steamboat breeder day:
http://steamboatanimalhospital.com/stea ... vents.aspx
Sarah
Dabbling Dog Coddler

Postby Nichole » Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:33 pm

Wow - for those prices I can get all of those things done and still end up spending less money. I think I can be patient!
Thanks for the link.
Nichole
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby Celesteandthebullies » Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:33 pm

I'd drive to WA for those prices!
Celesteandthebullies
Addicted to PBF

Postby MissKitty » Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:37 pm

Keep in mind (unless they changed the rules), that they only offer it at SteamBoat for intact dogs.

Which totally sucks because they are literally within walking distance from me :(
MissKitty
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby Nichole » Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:40 pm

MissKitty wrote:Keep in mind (unless they changed the rules), that they only offer it at SteamBoat for intact dogs.

Oh, suck. I will emailand verify but you might be right since the title says it is for breeders. Sadie is spayed.
Nichole
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby MissKitty » Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:53 pm

They could have changed it, I talked to them around 3-4 years ago. Let me know if they have, I would love to get Apollo done.

Maybe you could sneak Sadie in, I didn't think it would work for Apollo, but it is harder to check the ladies :tongue:
MissKitty
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby Sarah » Fri Jun 17, 2011 4:00 pm

You don't have to tell them she's spayed. ;) It is a breeder's day, but I figured you could just tell them you were doing it for her breeder. Take Violet in and get her CERF done too, they won't even question you.
Sarah
Dabbling Dog Coddler

Postby Nichole » Fri Jun 17, 2011 4:22 pm

Sarah wrote:You don't have to tell them she's spayed. ;) It is a breeder's day, but I figured you could just tell them you were doing it for her breeder. Take Violet in and get her CERF done too, they won't even question you.

For those prices I think I will get them both done. Violet turns 2 in Sept so it's great timing.

They were quick to respond by email!

Nichole, you are more than welcome to come the the Breeder Day event in Oct it is a lot of fun and very discounted prices. You can OFA Breeding and Non Breeding stock if you just want the certification for your info.
Nichole
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby Adrianne » Fri Jun 17, 2011 4:38 pm

I wish I had something like that locally. :inlove: We'll be doing Backup in Jan and Sloan a few months after that, I should start saving now... bleh.
Adrianne
Regulator

Postby MissKitty » Fri Jun 17, 2011 4:50 pm

That is awesome!

I emailed to see if they would allow a mixed breed in too.

Steamboat is an excellent clinic, I use their sister clinic. I hope to see Sadie and Violet there in October!
MissKitty
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby Sarah » Fri Jun 17, 2011 6:33 pm

Adrianne wrote:I wish I had something like that locally. :inlove: We'll be doing Backup in Jan and Sloan a few months after that, I should start saving now... bleh.

Look around you for health clinics. I happen to know about the Steamboat one, because they do it twice a year, and post it on the NW Dog Activities e-list; but there are other health clinics in the area. Last year, I got both the puppies microchipped, the 2 of them and Tess had CERF exams, Tess an OFA cardiac exam, and Tess a rabies vaccine for under $200 at a "Canine Health Day" sponsored by the local Cavalier King Charles Spaniel club. Could have had X-rays, not sure how much, but affordable, but I didn't need any. You can frequently save a lot of money doing health screens at events like that.

Though I personally haven't used one for X-rays, I have a place I like to go about an hour south of me. It costs around $200 for hips & elbows, submitted to OFA, and put on a CD for my reference. That works for me, but if I was having to pay $400-500 like Nichole was quoted, I'd be looking for health clinics.
Sarah
Dabbling Dog Coddler

Postby Nichole » Fri Jun 17, 2011 7:10 pm

That wasn't even my most expensive quote. The surgery center quoted me 400-600. I've been having a bear of a time finding a place that even understood what I was asking. It was like I was speaking a foreign language. "OFA hip xrays" did not compute apparently. So this place in Olympia is a STEAL in my eyes! It's first come first serve so I think I'm gonna get me some coffee and start the drive from Seattle early.
Nichole
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby Sarah » Fri Jun 17, 2011 7:54 pm

It'll be perfect for you, since you can get both your girls done at the same time.
Sarah
Dabbling Dog Coddler

Postby Nichole » Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:38 pm

Agreed. I'm really hoping their films are digital because I'd like to bring home copies for my own records. I may get some other stuff done too while we're there since it is all done at great price points.
Nichole
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Next

Return to Health Issues