Swinging back legs.?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
bucky685
Newborn Bully

Swinging back legs.?

Postby bucky685 » Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:59 am

My 2 year old American Pit bull Terrier; Cairo, I noticed that on walks usually he will swing his back legs around, instead of lifting them and pulling them straight forward. He doesn't do this all the time i would say a mojority of the time he does. He does it more as he gets tired.

Does anyone elses dog do this? Is it something i need to get looked at or it is he is just tired/lazy to lift his legs up?

Thanks in advance.

Tim

bucky685
Newborn Bully

Re: Swinging back legs.?

Postby bucky685 » Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:06 am

Almost like he doesn't bend his knees.

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:43 am

He could have luxating patellas or hip dysplasia.

I would definitely mention it at your dogs yearly checkup, but if its not bothering him, its not necessary to be seen immediately. If your pup starts limping or seems even the slightest bit uncomfortable (hesitating to go up stairs or jump in the car, slower to stand up after lying down etc.) then you should have it checked out right away.

bucky685
Newborn Bully

Postby bucky685 » Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:23 am

Misskiwi67 wrote:He could have luxating patellas or hip dysplasia.

I would definitely mention it at your dogs yearly checkup, but if its not bothering him, its not necessary to be seen immediately. If your pup starts limping or seems even the slightest bit uncomfortable (hesitating to go up stairs or jump in the car, slower to stand up after lying down etc.) then you should have it checked out right away.

Thank you! Next time we are in the vet i will mention something to them. It doesn't seem to affect him.

Celesteandthebullies
Addicted to PBF

Postby Celesteandthebullies » Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:36 am

I don't really have a mental picture, but is the odd walking at the hock joint? It could be slipping hocks as well.

bucky685
Newborn Bully

Postby bucky685 » Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:11 am

Celesteandthebullies wrote:I don't really have a mental picture, but is the odd walking at the hock joint? It could be slipping hocks as well.

He basicially just swings his back legs around and pivots at his hip, and doesn't bend his knee. He swings them out to the side instead of pulling them straight underneath him.

bucky685
Newborn Bully

Postby bucky685 » Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:24 am

Swinging them out to the side in a circular motion.

Celesteandthebullies
Addicted to PBF

Postby Celesteandthebullies » Tue Jun 21, 2011 3:56 pm

Kind of sounds like it. Is there anyway you could get a video?

Do you know where the hock is? When he walks watch it and see if it looks like there's an odd twist on it.

MetaMuffin
Newborn Bully

Postby MetaMuffin » Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:05 pm

Are we talking like a bulldog waddle?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNhHOL22FNs

Shoshana
Bully Ambassador

Postby Shoshana » Thu Jun 23, 2011 4:10 pm

Are you talking about walking like there are non bending braces on the pup's back legs so the legs swing out and around? I have seen that on an older dogs when arthritis was acting up - they walk like they don't want to bend their back legs.

I'd video and take a laptop to the vet to show them in case he isn't doing it when you bring him in. I would bring him in soonish (because it would drive me nuts not knowing) but like others have said, not an emergency.

Good luck

bucky685
Newborn Bully

Postby bucky685 » Thu Jun 23, 2011 4:49 pm

Shoshana wrote:Are you talking about walking like there are non bending braces on the pup's back legs so the legs swing out and around? I have seen that on an older dogs when arthritis was acting up - they walk like they don't want to bend their back legs.

I'd video and take a laptop to the vet to show them in case he isn't doing it when you bring him in. I would bring him in soonish (because it would drive me nuts not knowing) but like others have said, not an emergency.

Good luck

Yea, that is what he is doing.. It is only when he is "tired" after/during a walk that he does it.

We are going to try to get him in soon. That is a good idea with take a video of it to show!

Thanks!

Return to “Health Issues”