Osteopathy - anyone tried it?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Osteopathy - anyone tried it?

Postby Enigma » Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:14 pm

Has anyone here tried osteopathy with their dog? What were the results?

http://agilitynet.co.uk/health/osteopathy_clairshort.html

My friend told me about this and i'm seriously considering trying it with Brina. She has problems with her front legs because of arthritis and her hips aren't good either. With age, the problems will probably get worse that's why i'm searching for every possible way i can keep her healthy as long as i can.

Thanks!
Enigma
Forum Junky

Re: Osteopathy - anyone tried it?

Postby kaytenmags » Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:07 am

i didn't know there were osteopaths for dogs!
until recently, i didn't know what an osteopath was. after six months of intense back pain (started by a fractured tailbone) a friend of mine suggested that i see an osteopath. best move ever!
if canine osteo's are anything like the human ones, they're AMAZING
kaytenmags
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby Enigma » Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:15 pm

We have one in our country that a lot of dog owners swear by, especially those competing in agility. She's also a vet. I will probably take Brina to see her next month. :thumbsup:

Thanks! It's good to hear other people's experience, osteopathy is very new to me :)
Enigma
Forum Junky

Postby nsbullylover » Wed Jun 22, 2011 6:31 pm

Enigma wrote:We have one in our country that a lot of dog owners swear by, especially those competing in agility. She's also a vet. I will probably take Brina to see her next month. :thumbsup:

Thanks! It's good to hear other people's experience, osteopathy is very new to me :)

Both of my parents swear by osteopaths! My dad had severe pain in his groin that started when he was around 20 years old, and after numerous doctor visits he had given up on ever being pain free. After 2 trips to an osteopath at the age of 57, no more pain! He was also told last year that he needed double knee replacement surgery right away, and after consulting with his osteopath again and following her treatment plan for the last year, he has avoided the surgery and has more mobility than he had previously. My mom went to the same osteopath for mobility issues that she had been suffering from for a number of years, and after treatment her mobility is better than mine!
nsbullylover
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby nic » Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:07 am

My dogs see an osteopath 2 or 3 times a year,or if I notice a problem,I've never had it done myself,but the dogs seem to benifit from it.
nic
Forum Junky

Postby Enigma » Thu Jun 23, 2011 6:59 am

Thanks! Great to hear that! :thumbsup: I really hope it will help with Brina's joint problems :)
Enigma
Forum Junky

Postby Enigma » Tue Jul 05, 2011 2:00 pm

Ok, so we've had our first visit with the osteopath today and it was good, Brina really enjoyed it. The osteopath said that Brina's overall condition is great for her age, her muscle definiton is good, the movement of her joints is good, she showed me a couple of things i have to do every day to keep it that way. The only thing that isn't ok are her kidneys, we need to detox them, she gave me homeopathic remedies for it, Brina has to be on them for the next 4 weeks. After that, we'll meet again and see if anything improved. Even though Brina has a long past of health problems, i'm happy we finally came to a point where her problems came down to a minimum, i hope she stays this way for a long, long time :thumbsup:

Enigma
Forum Junky

Postby Ilovethepits » Tue Jul 05, 2011 3:16 pm

So glad to hear Brina enjoyed her treatment. I pray the detox will help with her too. She is a lovely lady and I pray you have many, many more happy years together.
Ilovethepits
Addicted to PBF

Postby Leslie H » Tue Jul 05, 2011 4:36 pm

I'm glad things went well for your beautiful lady.
I checked your link, as I'd never heard of osteopathy. I swear those agility people are the most on top of anything related to structure and function.
Leslie H
Regulator

Postby Enigma » Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:17 pm

Thanks!
Leslie H wrote:I swear those agility people are the most on top of anything related to structure and function.
They sure are, i would never know something like this exists if my friend who's into agility wouldn't tell me about it lol

Brina is taking the homeopatic pills and i'm adding some tea to her meals to help clean out the kidneys.. We're going back next month to see how she's doing :thumbsup:
Enigma
Forum Junky

Postby Enigma » Wed Aug 17, 2011 5:25 am

Brina had her second theraphy today and she enjoyed it.. I did notice a small increase of energy in the last few weeks, plus she's playing with other dogs more often than she was before. :) And her front legs are not shaking and causing her problems anymore, so i think osteopathy did help her :thumbsup:

Her osteopath said i can call her if Brina will start feeling down and we'll make another appointment, but for now, we're done with theraphy, Brina is feeling great so there's no need to go every month. :)
Enigma
Forum Junky

Postby Ilovethepits » Wed Aug 17, 2011 8:30 am

SO happy for Brina!! Cool photo too. Brina just likes everything??
Ilovethepits
Addicted to PBF

Postby nic » Wed Aug 17, 2011 2:15 pm

Brilliant!When mine get treated as soon as its finished they let out a huge contented sigh and go to sleep...even if they've been treated in the agility field,which is the most excited place in the world to them.
nic
Forum Junky

Postby Enigma » Wed Aug 17, 2011 2:37 pm

Thanks!
Ilovethepits wrote:Brina just likes everything??
Yeah, once she gets to know you, she will let you do whatever you want with her lol
nic wrote:When mine get treated as soon as its finished they let out a huge contented sigh and go to sleep...
Yeah, Brina has been sleeping pretty much the whole day today :D
Enigma
Forum Junky

Postby nic » Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:56 pm

She must be feeling good bless her. :)
nic
Forum Junky

Return to Health Issues