Worms that look like rice?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
trexgorawrrrrr
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Worms that look like rice?

Postby trexgorawrrrrr » Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:44 pm

I know one or both of the dogs have worms. I have no idea where they came from. I just moved back home with my mom, and today when I was picking up their poop it looks like they both have worms. I could see some of the worms moving, and they look like rice. Does anyone know what this could be? I have been looking at pictures online, but haven't found anything that look like them... So, I'm wondering if maybe they're young worms?

I pick up the poop in the yard twice a week, and I did not notice it before this time. I'm calling the vet bright and early tomorrow to see if they want stool samples from each dog to determine what it is.

I am wondering if there is anything I should be spraying in the yard where they poop, or if there is anything to kill it? I'm worried about after it being gone that it's going to come back.

This is the first time I've had to deal with them, and I'm not so sure what to do.

Sarah
Dabbling Dog Coddler

Re: Worms that look like rice?

Postby Sarah » Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:51 pm

Tapeworms. You can buy over the counter meds that will treat it- the active ingredient you want is praziquantel. Or you can get something from your vet.

trexgorawrrrrr
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby trexgorawrrrrr » Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:55 pm

I thought Tapeworm also, but the actual worm doesn't look like the pictures I keep seeing online. It said that some people describe rice, but the the actual worms that are moving around are so small. It's not like a piece of the worm that has fallen off.

Hmmm... It could be actual Tapeworms, but maybe just young? I'm not sure...

trexgorawrrrrr
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby trexgorawrrrrr » Wed Jun 22, 2011 6:11 pm

Local mom and pop store has Worm X, which has that active ingredient you listed. It has another one too, but I can't remember what it was called. I did get some of the worms in a small baggie though, so I'll take it in tomorrow and see what they are.

pblove
Addicted to PBF

Postby pblove » Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:39 pm

as Sarah said it is tapeworms but your only seeing segments of the worm, not the entire worm itself, (tapeworms look like fettuchine sort of) sometimes if you look where they sleep/lay regularly it will look like sesame seeds, that is the tapeworm segments that have dried up after passing.

XDogs
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby XDogs » Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:01 am

The segments can move. They are egg packages.. think of them as ovaries of the worms. They fall/crawl off of the pet and then the dried segment is eaten by flea larvae in the carpet/environment. Once the flea larva matures, it is infected with the tapeworm larvae and if the animal that the flea is feeding on ingests the flea while chewing the itchy spot, it has been re-infected by the tapeworm.

Sooo.. the important thing with tapeworms is to get rid of the secondary hosts (fleas)... or not let your pet eat rodents if it does do so. Rodents can also carry tapeworm larvae. Generally those are more likely to cause problems in humans as well.

trexgorawrrrrr
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby trexgorawrrrrr » Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:03 am

Bentley and Shey are on monthy flea and tick treatments as well as their heartworm pills, so I know they shouldn't have any fleas. And I know neither of them eat rodents...

Xdog thank you for that useful info, I had no idea the pieces that broke off could move around too. I wasn't really seeing any white smashed non moving pieces, so I wasn't sure of it being tapeworm or not. It just looks like a bunch of moving rice. It all makes sense though.

I am wondering though if they should not be allowed to sleep with us? Bentley sleeps underneath the covers everynight next to me, and Shey sleeps in random places (with or without people.)

I will be asking the vet tomorrow, but how long does it take for them to normally be gone?

PITtsburgher
Matured Bully

Postby PITtsburgher » Thu Jun 23, 2011 5:54 am

You probably will need multiple doses a few weeks apart. The medication won't be that expensive from the vet; I think you should get it from the vet to be sure it actually works.

pblove
Addicted to PBF

Postby pblove » Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:46 am

it is also possiblke for them to get tapes if they ingest bird poop, oppossum poop etc

Sarah
Dabbling Dog Coddler

Postby Sarah » Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:34 am

They don't have to actually have fleas, all it takes is one flea that is carrying tapeworm larvae. Flea jumps on dog, bites dog, dog catches and swallows it before the flea meds can take effect, dog is infected with tapeworms. They are easy to treat, fortunately, especially since the praziquantel became available over the counter (used to have to get it from a vet)

Shoshana
Bully Ambassador

Postby Shoshana » Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:02 pm

For sure tapeworms.

Peanut had them about a year after she showed up. She is on a monthly heartworm pill but it doesn't handle tapeworms.

Our vet said she pro'bly had them for a while but they didn't see any in the fecal sample when we first brought her in but that she could have had them anyway.

Our vet gave her one pill and we haven't seen any since.

She has never had fleas so I just washed all her bedding real well and vacuumed a lot.

The only drawback was she started gaining weight and we had to cut back on her food. She still weighs a couple of pounds more than she ought to.

HappyPuppy
Addicted to PBF

Postby HappyPuppy » Thu Jun 23, 2011 6:28 pm

I'd be washing those sheets and NOT allowing any bed company for a week!

trexgorawrrrrr
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby trexgorawrrrrr » Thu Jun 23, 2011 6:32 pm

Whew, NOT Worms...

I took Bentley in with a sample of the "worms." Turns out they were maggots. Thinking about it, I picked up the stool sample next to the garbage... Even though they were in the other poop, it was older. So, they looked at them, and looked at Bentley. So, I'm happy to report I was a worry wart for no reason lol

HappyPuppy
Addicted to PBF

Postby HappyPuppy » Thu Jun 23, 2011 6:54 pm

Ha ha!!!! We had a 'scare' like that last summer. Ruby will raid my garden for tomatoes - and toward the end of hte summer, the flies find htem and lay eggs that...turn into maggots. YUK! I had noticed them stewing and brewing on some tomatoes on the vine. Then, then next day, Ruby made a poop with what looked like maggots. Now, in my mind, they HAD to be tapeworms - what else could they have been?!? But they looked just like maggots and not like tapeworm segments. I also assumed that the maggots could not possibly have completed her digestive system intact...so that was a couple of days of panic until it was decided it was NOT worms. I think I missed last month's flea and heartworm dosing so I'm holding my breath until the next dose time.

trexgorawrrrrr
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby trexgorawrrrrr » Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:29 pm

Stupid maggots, foolin' everyone into thinking they're worms... lol

This was my first time dealing with what I thought was worms, so I wasn't too sure. I am relieved though!

Return to “Health Issues”