Natural Food vs. "Major" Brand vs. Raw

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
addieNmel
Newborn Bully

Re: Natural Food vs. "Major" Brand vs. Raw

Postby addieNmel » Sun Jul 17, 2011 9:45 pm

Great thread guys, I love hearing form those who feed raw, kinda helps me see what else I can 'dive' into.

I feed Addie Acana with raw meals here and there. I get a lot of ground whole animals ( duck,chicken,lamb, beef etc) and other 'goodies' -whole fish, chicken feet etc.. through my pet carnivore. Addie seems to love it. I am a licenced vet tech whos done a LOT of independent research ( self and continuing education credit) on nutrition. I believe dogs are primarily carnivores, but are able to digest and get nutritents from other food items. Dogs can use up to 60% of carbs in their diet, but what TYPE becomes the important part. Potatoes for example..though not completely broke down is better than corn ( more easily digested). You need to look at the most complete proteins ( most ammino acids etc), as well as variety.. 4 different types of protein, not 4 forms of corn for example. Its not said they need them, but they are able to get some nutrition. I believe a balanced, varied diet just like that is ideal for humans, is also the way to go for our pets.

Dont feel bad about what you can do, and keep an open mind, Many will tell you (insert feeding type here) is best and is the only way to go.. its just not true. Look at all the controversies around human nutrition ( atkins diet, vegan etc). Thats one reason why I like this forum and stear clear of 'raw only' forms because theres a much more open mindedness and helpfulness about it here. You wont get bashed for asking a question. We all started somewhere.. dont hesitate to ask! Heck I'm still learning myself.

Find what you can financially afford and what your dog does best on. Kibble is perfectly fine to feed. Speaking of which, check out taste of the wild, its about the same price as Science diet, but a lot better in my opinion.

Hope it helps, feel free to ask all kinds of questions.. interested in hearing others information, too.

kagnew
Newborn Bully

Postby kagnew » Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:08 pm

:goodpost: And good for you going beyond in the area of nutrition!

I feed raw, but I absolutely agree that there are some wonderful kibbles available if you do your homework! We had a babysitter come for a few days and I bought a bag of Acana to make things simpler for her as it was kind of a last minute thing. My crew loved it, no digestive upsets or refusals. I also buy small bags of good kibbles for dry training treats.

I would never condemn anyone for not feeding raw. (I know what you mean about the forums - yikes!) It took me months to get comfortable with the decision and it was REALLY hard at first (I'm a vegetarian!). You can absolutely raise a healthy, thriving dog on a quality commercially prepared diet. I just happen to believe that raw feeding - with some grains, fruits and veggies for the dogs (ducking from the prey model people!) is the healthiest way to feed my pets. And my experience after 4 years supports this. The only thing that gets under my skin is when people insist on a vegetarian diet for the pets. There ARE the (very) rare few who have issues digesting meat proteins, but they are very rare. Dogs need meat. Period. I'm a vegetarian. If I never had to haul big blocks of frozen chopped up animal out of my freezer I would NOT complain! But it is what is best for my babies so that's what I do!

I can't stand it when people try to force their opinions on others - and I so hope I didn't come across that way! But I'm pretty passionate and always ready to help!

kathy

WackyJacki
Addicted to PBF

Postby WackyJacki » Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:56 am

I feed my dogs raw (prey model) and my cats still eat kibble with occasional raw.

I am of the opinion that a diet of fresh, whole, unprocessed foods are best for all of us, including our dogs. I can't imagine that any animal is really going to thrive on a diet of pellets.

Now with that said, I realize that raw is not always possible or desirable for some people and thankfully commercial dog food is getting better. There are several great brands to choose from and most would recommend finding at least 3-4 formulas that your dog does well on and rotating them. Supplementing with quality canned foods, fish oil, raw, etc is also a good idea. ;)

Don't expect to find a lot of "scientific" research on raw feeding. Research requires funding, and the pet food companies aren't going to fund something that isn't going to make them money. ;)

Best of luck to you!

WackyJacki
Addicted to PBF

Postby WackyJacki » Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:58 am

Sorry from the DP. To address some people's concerns about domestication changing their dietary needs, that is false. A dog is still a carnivore through and through. Google the anatomy of a dog's digestive system and you'll see it doesn't differ from that of a wolves.

WackyJacki
Addicted to PBF

Postby WackyJacki » Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:29 am

Wolf*

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:44 am

WackyJacki wrote:Sorry from the DP. To address some people's concerns about domestication changing their dietary needs, that is false. A dog is still a carnivore through and through. Google the anatomy of a dog's digestive system and you'll see it doesn't differ from that of a wolves.

This might be true... but it also doesn't differ much from other carnivores that are well-documented scavengers and omnivores, like bears and raccoons.

You also don't want to forget that there is several thousand years of selective breeding for animals who thrive on human "leftovers".

BrokenAquarian
Addicted to PBF

Postby BrokenAquarian » Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:55 am

Included in those human leftovers are raw meat, raw bones, offal and all the other stuff from a butchered animal that most people don't eat. < That's the bulk of what these dogs have been eating while staying in our homes/barns.

FransterDoo
Addicted to PBF

Postby FransterDoo » Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:32 am

Misskiwi67 wrote:You also don't want to forget that there is several thousand years of selective breeding for animals who thrive on human "leftovers".

And those leftovers were not processed or frozen or full of fake colors like what many people eat these days. In addition, the leftovers were the family's leftovers. Not the leftovers from the global agriculture business driven to produce kibble for profit.

I"m getting ready to make a batch of my dog's morning ground food. In my freezer is about 3 big baggies filled with our "leftovers" including strawberries, pears, parsley, broccoli, collard greens and some other stuff. Anything leftover from dinner makings or fruit that could be getting overripe gets tossed into the freezer.

My grandparents didn't really fed kibble to their dog. Instead my grandma made stew or stir-fry type dishes of the leftover meats, fruits and veggies along with any leftover grains like rice or oatmeal. I believe that this was a cultural heritage of the dogs truly eating the leftovers from the family meals. I'm just much more involved in creating variety and maintaining balance over time than they were.

BabyReba

Postby BabyReba » Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:27 am

Instead my grandma made stew or stir-fry type dishes of the leftover meats, fruits and veggies along with any leftover grains like rice or oatmeal.

I hear that ... when I was a kid, we always had a big bowl on the counter at every meal, and anything that wasn't eaten was tossed into it -- meat, milk, eggs, vegetables, bread, etc. -- for the dogs' dinner. And the chickens and ducks, too. Our animals always ate a lot of what we ate ...

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:36 pm

FransterDoo wrote:My grandparents didn't really fed kibble to their dog. Instead my grandma made stew or stir-fry type dishes of the leftover meats, fruits and veggies along with any leftover grains like rice or oatmeal. I believe that this was a cultural heritage of the dogs truly eating the leftovers from the family meals. I'm just much more involved in creating variety and maintaining balance over time than they were.

This is what I meant... a large portion of foods pets were eating were cooked foods, along with breads and grains.

Many raw feeders take the "raw" part to extremes with talk of enzymes that have never been identified and other craziness that has never been validated.

BrokenAquarian
Addicted to PBF

Postby BrokenAquarian » Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:39 pm

I wouldn't call anything craziness, unless it's been fully debunked. Unverified does not mean wrong.

FransterDoo
Addicted to PBF

Postby FransterDoo » Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:25 pm

Misskiwi67 wrote:
FransterDoo wrote:My grandparents didn't really fed kibble to their dog. Instead my grandma made stew or stir-fry type dishes of the leftover meats, fruits and veggies along with any leftover grains like rice or oatmeal. I believe that this was a cultural heritage of the dogs truly eating the leftovers from the family meals. I'm just much more involved in creating variety and maintaining balance over time than they were.

This is what I meant... a large portion of foods pets were eating were cooked foods, along with breads and grains.

Yes, a home cooked diet is another great option. But I know that granma wasn't feeding Soybean meal or dried beet pulp. And she wasn't cooking the smitherens out of it!

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:49 pm

BrokenAquarian wrote:I wouldn't call anything craziness, unless it's been fully debunked. Unverified does not mean wrong.

When steak starts self-digesting on the countertop I will start believing in the "digestive enzymes found in raw meat"

Until then... :twisted:

Sarah
Dabbling Dog Coddler

Postby Sarah » Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:37 pm

BrokenAquarian wrote:Included in those human leftovers are raw meat, raw bones, offal and all the other stuff from a butchered animal that most people don't eat. < That's the bulk of what these dogs have been eating while staying in our homes/barns.

I doubt dogs got much raw meat for most of their domestication period. People ate the meat themselves. And ate most parts of a butchered animal. Bones would have gone into soups and stews. Our current selective eating is due to our relative wealth.

Dogs would have gotten meat scraps, and some of the least edible parts of a butchered animal, but it wouldn't have made up the bulk of their diet, most people didn't have that much meat to spare.

ProudMommy77
Forum Junky

Postby ProudMommy77 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:37 pm

Blah, I feed RAW it's cheaper than kibble. I feed kibble on occasion, when I am out of raw, but it's not very often. Dottie's breeder is a Vet, and she feeds a raw diet to her dogs. My personal vet is a raw feeder, I think most people I know are also. For us, it's economical, and the health benefits aren't such a bad thing. :thumbsup:

Return to “Health Issues”