Natural Food vs. "Major" Brand vs. Raw

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Re: Natural Food vs. "Major" Brand vs. Raw

Postby Misskiwi67 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:16 am

ProudMommy77 wrote:Blah, I feed RAW it's cheaper than kibble. I feed kibble on occasion, when I am out of raw, but it's not very often. Dottie's breeder is a Vet, and she feeds a raw diet to her dogs. My personal vet is a raw feeder, I think most people I know are also. For us, it's economical, and the health benefits aren't such a bad thing. :thumbsup:

My dogs had a raw dinner night before last, I feed it because they love it, and so I can tell clients "I feed this..." when they're feeding some wacko and/or poorly researched diet.

There's nothing wrong and a lot of right with raw diets when they're done well. Most dogs love it, and when its done well there are so many benefits. However, the benefits are from whole ingredients and an overall lack of modern processing, not enzymes or nature or voodoo. Thats all I was trying to add to the conversation, and I apologize it took me 3 posts to say it.

ProudMommy77
Forum Junky

Postby ProudMommy77 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:15 am

I agree. Nothing makes me more angry then when people are feeding a raw diet incorrectly. And refuse to take advice. And have a million reasons to why they can't feed a correct diet. If you can't feed a correct raw diet, then feed a high grade kibble. Sorry, just my rant.

BrokenAquarian
Addicted to PBF

Postby BrokenAquarian » Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:20 am

The only "enzymes" I know for a fact my dogs are getting from eating raw are the ones in the stomach of the food critters - I think that's just stomach acid. I don't know if you can call that enzymes. lol

I butchered up a bunch of rabbits once and put all of their guts in a big bag to deal with the next day. While I was in the process of butchering, I was being swarmed by flies and yellow jackets(wasps). I was trapping them in the bag and smashing them - there were a crap load of 'em.

The next day, I pull the gut bag out of the fridge and all of the bugs are completely gone - digested by the rabbit guts that have been dead, frozen and thawed. *ew cool* lol

Back on topic - my assumption is that consuming the rabbit guts would probably aid in digestion for the dog, so I think that it probably plays a somewhat important role, maybe. :)

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:33 am

BrokenAquarian wrote:
Back on topic - my assumption is that consuming the rabbit guts would probably aid in digestion for the dog, so I think that it probably plays a somewhat important role, maybe. :)

But rabbits don't digest their food... they ferment it...

Still... that would be cool to see!

FransterDoo
Addicted to PBF

Postby FransterDoo » Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:04 pm

Misskiwi67 wrote: However, the benefits are from whole ingredients and an overall lack of modern processing, not enzymes or nature or voodoo. Thats all I was trying to add to the conversation, and I apologize it took me 3 posts to say it.

Totally. It's the same thing as watching how long it takes for a twinkie to rot/mold. Gross!

BrokenAquarian
Addicted to PBF

Postby BrokenAquarian » Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:28 pm

Misskiwi67 wrote:
BrokenAquarian wrote:

But rabbits don't digest their food... they ferment it...

Still... that would be cool to see!

Well, whatever the hell it was, it completely liquified the exoskeletons of about 50 wasps in 15 hours lol

I'm wondering since my dogs have been on raw for over 3 years now, if it would be good to have some (what?)testing - or if since they look good and the vet says they look good at all the appointments, it's not something to worry about?

They've been eating whole prey model for 2 years.

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:03 pm

BrokenAquarian wrote:
I'm wondering since my dogs have been on raw for over 3 years now, if it would be good to have some (what?)testing - or if since they look good and the vet says they look good at all the appointments, it's not something to worry about?

They've been eating whole prey model for 2 years.

I don't know what they would test other than the usual chemistry panel. Expect the BUN to be elevated due to the high protein diet, everything else should be normal.

Mya&theSiebenDackels
Addicted to PBF

Postby Mya&theSiebenDackels » Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:33 pm

We feed Fromm dog food(which they are doing wonderful on) right now to our dogs but we fed RAW to them for awhile.

It took me 3 years of research and more research before I felt like I was ready to feed RAW. The RAW Diet really helped our dachshund Buddy who is paralyzed from the waist down. His skin and coat were looking great and he all around was looking wonderful. It was SO much easier on his kidneys and his pee went from smelling very concentrate and strong(Yes he has been checked by a vet and he has no infections or anything) to just smelling like regular dog pee. I read that kibble can be hard on dog's kidneys and he still even though he is on kibble now, gets his cranberry supplement which seems to help. The reason we had to switch him to Fromm is because he has such a sensitive stomach and his digestive system just could not get used to RAW(and I did everything like you are suppose to and took it really slow, etc).

Luckily, he does very well on Fromm and it does not seem to be too hard on his kidneys(his pee is much better and does not smell that strong anymore). I am so glad we finally found a dog food that works for him and Charlotte because they are so sensitive in one way or another to certain dog foods that it has been a long road finding a diet that agrees with them!

So really it just depends on the dog. If you can feed your dogs a proper RAW or BARF diet, I say go for it because I personally think it is probably one the best diets for your dogs. If not, than feed them a high quality dog food.

Absoulte
Newborn Bully

Postby Absoulte » Fri Jul 22, 2011 2:23 pm

Sorry it has been so long very hectic past week! I had him to the vet he has a yeast infection in his ear which is now being treated.

I really still do want to feed raw - but like it is stated here everyone seems to do a lot of research on it before switching and I'd like to do that. Does anyone know of any BEGINNER/BASIC websites that explain raw? A lot of the sites people give me don't explain what animals, what parts etc. I'm going to go through and read all the sites people posted on this threat over the weekend. :)

Until I am ready to switch to raw and do more "grunt work" (LOL) and research I like the sounds of canidae grain free pure sky. I also need to invest in a large freezer - we already have one but it is where our food goes - we get cows/pigs etc. too and there isn't room for a whole lot of dog food in there. :)

I loveeee this thread and everyone here is so helpful! :)

Absoulte
Newborn Bully

Postby Absoulte » Fri Jul 22, 2011 2:55 pm

On the http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-food-reviews/brand/ website SD gets 2 stars. Now my dog looks great and healthy on it - so that is where I get frustrated. If I just go by what he looks like etc then SD is fine but everyone who likes the "natural" is so against it.

I am looking into the Canidae Pure and Wellness Core. I worry the most about the joint aspect and about the fact that if there is a recall how easy will I hear about it? With these big named brands when there is one recalled it is spread fast - everyone hears about it through pet stores, vets. etc. These less common brands aren't sold at these huge stores most of the time and it might take a while to hear about it.

If anyone can recommend other good dry food that I can look into I'm all ears. The list is huge and there is no way I can go through it all. I just know that Canidae and Wellness are both foods I can get from the local, holistic pet store.

I think I might try to throw some raw in once in a while anyways - chicken and the likes here and there. :) Bones are good for teeth cleaning right? I have heard that a few times - maybe that is where the necks and backs will be handy. Brushing doesn't seem to do much good - it does make an improvement but my cousin said when he began feeding raw his dogs teeth are pearly white again.

ProudMommy77
Forum Junky

Postby ProudMommy77 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 3:09 pm

raw meaty bones are great for teeth...raw in general is good for teeth...see Dottie shows her pearly whites to the lovely decoy.

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 3:29 pm

Absoulte wrote:I think I might try to throw some raw in once in a while anyways - chicken and the likes here and there. :) Bones are good for teeth cleaning right? I have heard that a few times - maybe that is where the necks and backs will be handy. Brushing doesn't seem to do much good - it does make an improvement but my cousin said when he began feeding raw his dogs teeth are pearly white again.

Why not try pre-made raw? Thats what I do... I don't have the time, patience or inclination to balance my own diet, let alone my dogs food. I feed Nature's Variety patties, they're great!

Absoulte
Newborn Bully

Postby Absoulte » Fri Jul 22, 2011 5:00 pm

ProudMommy77 wrote:raw meaty bones are great for teeth...raw in general is good for teeth...see Dottie shows her pearly whites to the lovely decoy.

Wow! How old is she and what do you feed her? (Raw wise - animals and parts lol) Her teeth look great!
Misskiwi67 wrote:
Absoulte wrote:I think I might try to throw some raw in once in a while anyways - chicken and the likes here and there. :) Bones are good for teeth cleaning right? I have heard that a few times - maybe that is where the necks and backs will be handy. Brushing doesn't seem to do much good - it does make an improvement but my cousin said when he began feeding raw his dogs teeth are pearly white again.

Why not try pre-made raw? Thats what I do... I don't have the time, patience or inclination to balance my own diet, let alone my dogs food. I feed Nature's Variety patties, they're great!

That was actually something I meant to ask about and forgot - how do your dogs do on them? I know the petstore carries those as well!

Curly_07

Postby Curly_07 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 5:03 pm

Misskiwi67 wrote:

I normally feed TOTW, but when I do feed RAW I also use Natures Variety Medalians. The dogs love them and the have a good balance of everything IMO. I do stay away from the chicken though, because my dogs skin doesn't do so well with chicken anything. The medalians also make it REALLY easy to know how much to give your dog for their weight.

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 7:11 pm

Absoulte wrote:
That was actually something I meant to ask about and forgot - how do your dogs do on them? I know the petstore carries those as well!

My dogs do great on them. They get them about 3 times per week currently, and they love them. I'm using the lamb currently because that is what the co-op had in stock. Someday I will have a bigger freezer and order in bulk from my distributor at work.

I can't tell any difference from kibble and the raw, but I don't feed it very much. I really love the company standards and the dogs love the food. You really can't go wrong here (except for the price). I also feed taste of the wild kibble, seems to be a popular combination!

Return to “Health Issues”