Lumps on Dogs Toes - Wish us luck

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Lumps on Dogs Toes - Wish us luck

Postby Keira&Phoenix » Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:11 am

So last week I found a lump on Phoenix's toe

It hasn't gone down since then it actually seems to have gotten worse and seems a bit scabby now.
I was told by a 5th Year Vet Student friend it could be a grass seed granuloma, a histiocytoma (self limiting benign lump) or Mass Cell Tumor.

What concerns me now is that she has had a second lump appear in the exact same place on her other foot :(
She has also in the past had a similar lump show up on her thigh a while back but I thought nothing of it.

After reading some of the stories about MCT it is a little worrying and I want to check it out asap.

We are booked to see the Vet tonight at 6 pm and I am just asking for lots of good vibes and wishes for it to be nothing major.

Thanks in advance :)
Keira&Phoenix
Adolescent Bully

Re: Lumps on Dogs Toes - Wish us luck

Postby Nichole » Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:44 am

I had something like that pop up on Sadie's paws. She licked it a lot and it bled. The vet throught it might me a histiocytoma so we did surgery to remove it.

And it ended up being...(drum roll please)...a papilloma! A viral wart! So not only did I put miss Sadie through surgery for nothing, I then had to wait for another wart to appear before her body finally decided to fight it so the virus could finally go in retreat.

I dunno if you are familiar with pap's but the most common place for them to grow is in the mouth/tongue and on the feet. From what I understand they are two different strains. Violet got them in her mouth, Sadie got them on her feet. Good times!

I obviously cant say for sure if that is what your pup has but it should definitely be on your list of differentials.
Nichole
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby Keira&Phoenix » Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:56 am

Does look similar, Thanks.

Phoenix's seems to have a lump inside the swollen skin....don't know it is a bit hard to explain. She has had a total of 3 now, the first went away on it's own (the one on her thigh), then she got this one, which seems to have gotten worse and then another has shown up on her other foot...Hopefully it is something minor like what Sadie had.
Keira&Phoenix
Adolescent Bully

Postby pblove » Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:34 am

:pray
pblove
Addicted to PBF

Postby dogs4jen » Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:56 am

Roscoe got a ganglion cyst on his wrist from jumping over the gate all the time, but it's covered in fur, not exposed like your dog''s. It might be worth asking if it could be a cyst. Also, Austin had a lump on his leg, that looked more like the one in your picture, and after antibiotics and hot compresses, it went away. The vet thought it must have been a foreign body stuck in there that needed to work its way out. It was winter and I thought maybe something had gotten in there with a scrape from the snow. Anyways, I just thought I would throw those possibilities out there, I hope it's something benign whatever it is on your dog.
dogs4jen
Forum Junky

Postby Ilovethepits » Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:41 am

Praying it is benign nothingness and all healed up soon.
Ilovethepits
Addicted to PBF

Postby Keira&Phoenix » Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:43 pm

Well how much of a doof did I feel like yesterday afternoon when I got home and the lumps had gone down!! I still took her to the vet but she didn't charge me and just said to keep an eye out and let her know if they came back or if I spotted anything similar.

So all good for now :D
Keira&Phoenix
Adolescent Bully

Postby Misskiwi67 » Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:32 am

Keira&Phoenix wrote:Well how much of a doof did I feel like yesterday afternoon when I got home and the lumps had gone down!! I still took her to the vet but she didn't charge me and just said to keep an eye out and let her know if they came back or if I spotted anything similar.

So all good for now :D

Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but mast cell tumors will commonly become larger and then get smaller as they release histamine, become inflamed, and then it resolves.

It could also be bug bites she was licking...

Keep a VERY close eye on it... tumors of the feet, when they are tumors, tend to be more aggressive than tumors in other areas of the body.
Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Return to Health Issues