Hind leg(s) sore, limping after exercise. Need advice

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
DannyNyce
Super Bully

Hind leg(s) sore, limping after exercise. Need advice

Postby DannyNyce » Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:27 am

Hey guys, this is what I've noticed: Jaxx gets sore after exercising at the field.
It's always his hind legs when he limps. Either the right or the left.
It lasts a couple of days and then he's good.
His exercise consists of running and fetching. No backflips lol
Jaxx is 70lbs*, a few lbs over his ideal weight. (62-65lbs) *I will watch this closely to see if it's a factor.
He's 2yrs 6 months, neutered.
He's one of those dogs who sits on his sides... not the usual sit position. I've read that's normal though.
I feed him kibble and some baby carrots here and there.

Before I take him to see a vet, is there a natural supplement/food that I can look at for joint mobility?
Should I gently stretch his legs before/after exercise?
Any other observations are welcome. Thanks!
:thumbsup:

afrikaPB
Matured Bully

Re: Hind leg(s) sore, limping after exercise. Need advice

Postby afrikaPB » Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:12 am

Before I take him to see a vet, is there a natural supplement/food that I can look at for joint mobility?
Should I gently stretch his legs before/after exercise?

Glucosamine/chondroitin are good supplements for joints.
I warm my horse up by walking her for a while, to loosen her up before asking her to run or climb steep hills. A leashed walk could help with your dog, if launching straight into crazy run and play exercise is making him hurt. Might be he just needs calmer exercise until he looses the pounds or gets checked by the vet. My fat dog gets walked on the beach, since the sand is low impact but gives him a work out.
Either way, I would get it examined as it could be a hip/leg problem that is causing more pain than he is letting on.

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Thu Jul 21, 2011 2:21 pm

I'd still recommend seeing a vet. Even very mild lameness can be a sign of serious disease, and waiting too long on an ACL rupture (they can do both at the same time!) can result in debilitating arthritis development.

FransterDoo
Addicted to PBF

Postby FransterDoo » Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:17 pm

Vet - first and foremost. Ask to check hips and knees for ligament tears and make sure his hips sockets are decent.

Also don't wait on losing those extra pounds. They are affecting him, whether you see it or not.

Then also add in fish body oil and something like Glyco-Flex 3 to his diet.

IF HE IS IN PAIN (which he is since he is limping)- just adding a couple of supplements to his diet is not going to solve his problems. He is a young dog. If you don't get this checked out, his quality of life as a middle aged dog will not be good.

DannyNyce
Super Bully

Postby DannyNyce » Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:49 pm

I'm on it. Thanks guys!

FransterDoo
Addicted to PBF

Postby FransterDoo » Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:25 pm

DannyNyce wrote:I'm on it. Thanks guys!

Glad to hear it!

DannyNyce
Super Bully

Postby DannyNyce » Sat Jul 23, 2011 2:46 pm

Sprained left knee, possible partial tear in the meniscus. The vet sent us home with some Deramaxx 100mg for inflammation, which is not really so bad according to her and what she showed us on the x-rays.
Prior to the vet's visit Jaxx was still limping but leaping on the couch and pulling on his walk, so I am hoping and praying that it isn't a tear.
He weighed at 65lbs and vet advised us to get him to 60lbs.
Right now he's all drowsy from the meds he was given pre x-rays.
Lots of rest and no exercise for 2 weeks. Follow up then. :thumbsup:

Anyone with advice/experience on how to prevent further injury that can lead to surgery? Thanks! :thumbsup:

dogs4jen
Forum Junky

Postby dogs4jen » Sat Jul 23, 2011 10:25 pm

I would guess that a lot of starting and stopping while running would be bad, like playing with a flirt pole, or monkey in the middle, and probably try to avoid a lot of jumping. Good luck, we just went through knee surgery with Roscoe.

DannyNyce
Super Bully

Postby DannyNyce » Sun Jul 24, 2011 9:43 am

Yeah, that makes sense. Jaxx is more of a runner. He runs like there's no tomorrow. Do these injuries heal close to 100%?
I mean, at this stage where it still just a sprain? How about post surgery?

mtlu
Addicted to PBF

Postby mtlu » Sun Jul 24, 2011 10:50 pm

I only know of meniscal tears in conjunction with CCL damage – and what usually happens is that the damaged tissue of the meniscus is removed during surgery to repair the CCL ligament(s). Nothing is put in to replace the damaged meniscus and from what I can understand, there's a higher likelihood of arthritis developing in the joint sooner rather than later.

I would be careful with his activity once he gets better – make sure that he has good musculature in his legs to support his knees; but keep exercise as low impact as possible. Judging a dog's weight/body condition can be a bit subjective but I would recommend keeping Jaxx as lean as possible without losing muscle mass – giving a target loss of 5lbs or 6lbs doesn't necessarily help because it doesn't take into account body condition. Start reducing his food now since he is on rest and is not allowed to exercise right now.

Others have recommended some really good supplements in this thread and those will also help with maintaining joint health along with the weight loss. Good luck and keep us posted on how Jaxx is doing.

Return to “Health Issues”