Any suggestions on skin supplements?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
tmherrera
Newborn Bully

Any suggestions on skin supplements?

Postby tmherrera » Sun Jul 24, 2011 11:44 pm

Peaches has a pretty dry coat and is very prone to hot spots and allergies. Any one have suggestions for supplements for her coat?
I am also switching her to Malaseb shampoo.

FransterDoo
Addicted to PBF

Re: Any suggestions on skin supplements?

Postby FransterDoo » Sun Jul 24, 2011 11:59 pm

What food and supplements are you currently using?

tmherrera
Newborn Bully

Postby tmherrera » Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:26 am

The vet recommended Taste of the Wild Wetlands which is a very high end duck dry dog food. I am not using any supplements at the time. (thanks for asking, I should have put this information in my original post!)
It would also have to be something for her age, she is only 9 months old.

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:47 am

I would suggest a fatty acid supplement, such as salmon oil.

Are you doing a true diet trial, or just switching foods to see if an upgrade improves her coat?

tmherrera
Newborn Bully

Postby tmherrera » Mon Jul 25, 2011 12:14 pm

When I got her was using blue buffalo and my vet suggested Taste of the Wild a few months back. I don't plan on changing her food again unless there is a real need to. Thank you for your suggestion I will look into it!

Curly_07

Postby Curly_07 » Mon Jul 25, 2011 5:22 pm

From my experience TOTW(Taste of the Wild) Salmon formula is better on my dogs coat and skin than any of the other formulas. I also do 2 pumps of salmon oil on their food. They are soft and glossy :)

Also, mine have allergies too. Mostly anything to do with chicken in it, so I stay clear of it. Also Febreeze causes one of mine to get rashes/hot spots. How often are you bathing the pup and what do you bathe her with? Shampoos and freaquency of baths can cause problems too. For the hot spots I used to use a hot spot spray(with change of diet and shampoo/plus no Febreeze anything I haven't had any hot spots in over a year). For shampoo I use John Paul's Pet shampoo and conditioning spray, sometimes will use an oatmeal/aloe base shampoo if I can't find the John Paul line.

FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF

Postby FBODGRL » Mon Jul 25, 2011 5:40 pm

What is she allergic to?

I'd also suggest salmon oil and vitamin e

mtlu
Addicted to PBF

Postby mtlu » Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:01 pm

Do her allergies seem to get worse at certain times of the year (much like how humans get hay fever/bad allergies in the spring)? If she seems to get worse seasonally in the spring/summer due, I would suspect some kind of pollen-based, environmental allergen. I give Molly local raw honey to combat seasonal allergies. Honey that is produced locally will be contain pollen from plants in your geographic locale and eating a little bit of honey everyday will help the immune system build tolerance to the allergens.

If she seems prone to contact allergies (like from laying on grass), I would just make a routine of wiping her down with babywipes a couple times a day. Just make sure you don't use the kind with alcohol as that will dry out her skin and coat even more.

I used to give Molly salmon oil + vit E as others have recommended and I still think it's a great supplement but had to stop as it was giving Molly some anal gland issues. I've been adding dried kelp as a supplement and have really liked the results I've seen. I've been giving it less frequently now as we switched to another brand of kibble about a month ago and I want to see what this kibble does for her without supplementing specifically for her skin & coat with the kelp. She still gets a bunch of other stuff.

starrlamia
Addicted to PBF

Postby starrlamia » Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:09 pm

fish oil and coconut oil is what i give for coats.

tmherrera
Newborn Bully

Postby tmherrera » Mon Jul 25, 2011 10:07 pm

Curly_07 wrote:From my experience TOTW(Taste of the Wild) Salmon formula is better on my dogs coat and skin than any of the other formulas. I also do 2 pumps of salmon oil on their food. They are soft and glossy :)

I didn't even know they had a salmon formula! I will definitely be switching her to that! 8) I know not to frequently bathe her and when I did I was using a puppy oatmeal based shampoo but I would like to switch her to Malaseb, because I have heard great things about it.

FBODGRL wrote:What is she allergic to?

I'd also suggest salmon oil and vitamin e

I'm not exactly sure what she is allergic to. But she did have flees in the spring so that contributed to the problem. :\

mtlu wrote:Do her allergies seem to get worse at certain times of the year (much like how humans get hay fever/bad allergies in the spring)?

Well since I have only had her for 6 months (shes only 8 months old) I really can't say if it's seasonal. But I will keep in mind your advice! I would have never thought to use honey! :thumbsup:

Thanks everyone for your advice! I think I will be switching to TOTW Salmon formula with fish oil for now until I know exactly what is causing her allergies. I know she has really dry skin and itches quite a bit. So hopefully this will help clear up her problem. ;)

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Mon Jul 25, 2011 10:18 pm

If her allergies continue, at her age food allergies are high on the list. Try the new food first, and if that doesn't do the trick then I recommend a true diet trial. You will be amazed what dogs are allergic to, mine is allergic to beef, so things like heartguard, bones, and many training treats make him itch. He's also allergic to chicken, but not nearly as severely.

tmherrera
Newborn Bully

Postby tmherrera » Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:03 pm

Misskiwi67 wrote:You will be amazed what dogs are allergic to, mine is allergic to beef, so things like heartguard, bones, and many training treats make him itch. He's also allergic to chicken, but not nearly as severely.

Sometimes I feel so STUPID! I have really not paid much attention to treats and bones as much as her food! I wonder if that could be an issue for her! If she is allergic to beef, what kind of chew toys do you use? She is a BIG chewer!
Also can you tell me more about this true diet trial??
Thanks for your help :)

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 3:27 pm

tmherrera wrote:
Misskiwi67 wrote:You will be amazed what dogs are allergic to, mine is allergic to beef, so things like heartguard, bones, and many training treats make him itch. He's also allergic to chicken, but not nearly as severely.

Sometimes I feel so STUPID! I have really not paid much attention to treats and bones as much as her food! I wonder if that could be an issue for her! If she is allergic to beef, what kind of chew toys do you use? She is a BIG chewer!
Also can you tell me more about this true diet trial??
Thanks for your help :)

A true diet trial invovles feeding a food with ONE protein and ONE carbohydrate for 3 months. Those ingredients must be ingredients the dog has never been exposed to before, and therefore cannot be allergic to. So if you have cats and your dog gets cat food, fish might not be an option. Most dogs have had beef, chicken and lamb, so those are usually not used unless your dog hasn't had them before. Common carbohydrates are potato, sweet potato, and some of the rarer grains. Common proteins include fish, duck, rabbit, venison, bison, or kangaroo.

I usually recommend Natural Balance Duck and Potato, most people haven't fed Duck unless they are big into protein rotation. Taste of the wild generally has two proteins (ie, salmon and ocean fish = two types of protein) and is therefore not technically appropriate for a true diet trial. However, if your dog has NEVER been exposed to any type of fish, you could probably fudge it.

Next comes the dietary restriction. Your dog cannot have ANYTHING go into its mouth that is not the food. No treats, no flavored toys, no flavored medication (heartguard, other flea meds, many antibiotics), no buscuits at the bank drive through, no cheese, no hotdogs, no tablescraps, no countersurfing, NOTHING.

The most common canine food allergies, in order, are Beef, chicken/eggs, dairy, corn and wheat. You will read a lot about dogs being allergic to grains because they are unatural, but its bull-pucky. Dogs are allergic to proteins, just like people (nuts and shellfish are most common in people). Corn and wheat are high-protein grains, and most dogs are exposed young, this is the only reason they produce allergies, but they are definitely on the list of proteins to be avoided during a diet trial.

Canned food, kibble and marshmallows can be used for training treats. Stuffed toys, and unflavored rubber toys are the only chewing items allowed.

You must do this for 3 months, and control all secondary infections with appropriate medical care during this time. It can take 6-8 weeks to see improvement. If you screw up and forget, you start over at day 1. Heartguard will make Romeo itch for a week or more, many other things will make him itch for a couple days. Something as minor as licking the spagetti plate after I've scraped all the meat off will make him itch for 24 hours. I know this because he still gets to clean my plates despite the itching, I feel its worth it to him.

If you notice improvement, you may have a food allergy. At the end of the diet trial, you can slowly start adding in treats ONE at a time, and test them for two weeks with a 2 week break between to determine what your pup might be allergic to.

My dog Romeo is allergic to all beef products, but he can have unflavored rawhide for instance. It took a long time to figure this out, but we've got a good system down after 3 years now. In the grand scheme of things, food allergies are MUCH easier than environmental allergies because you can control exposure.

I use Revolution for heartworm prevention as it is topical. Advantage Multi is another good heartworm preventative you can use during the diet trial.

Return to “Health Issues”