Feeding Raw

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Feeding Raw

Postby Adrianne » Wed Aug 10, 2011 6:01 pm

How do people feel about dehydrated raw (artisan or honest kitchen) in the same meal or even day as kibble or raw meat? I am curious the process time for dehydrated foods.

On that note has anyone tried grandma lucys Artisan? I'm considering this in conjunction with a raw diet.
Adrianne
Regulator

Feeding Raw

Postby Adrianne » Wed Aug 10, 2011 6:02 pm

BrokenAquarian wrote:Something raw that my dogs like to do -

I buy frozen mice and hide them in the yard. I let one dog out at a time and they have to search for them. They LOVE it.

Creepy but fun! Do you count/monitor to make sure none are left behind?
Adrianne
Regulator

Re: Feeding Raw

Postby MetaMuffin » Wed Aug 10, 2011 6:21 pm

Adrianne wrote:How do people feel about dehydrated raw (artisan or honest kitchen) in the same meal or even day as kibble or raw meat? I am curious the process time for dehydrated foods.

On that note has anyone tried grandma lucys Artisan? I'm considering this in conjunction with a raw diet.

I have fed Honest Kitchen as well as Sojos right on top of kibble. The dogs really enjoyed it, and I didn't run into any problems.
MetaMuffin
Newborn Bully

Feeding Raw

Postby Adrianne » Wed Aug 10, 2011 6:28 pm

Thank you, that is helpful to know!
Adrianne
Regulator

Postby BrokenAquarian » Wed Aug 10, 2011 6:39 pm

Adrianne wrote:
BrokenAquarian wrote:Something raw that my dogs like to do -

I buy frozen mice and hide them in the yard. I let one dog out at a time and they have to search for them. They LOVE it.

Creepy but fun! Do you count/monitor to make sure none are left behind?

I only do 4 each - so it's easy to keep track :)
BrokenAquarian
Addicted to PBF

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:55 pm

Adrianne wrote:How do people feel about dehydrated raw (artisan or honest kitchen) in the same meal or even day as kibble or raw meat? I am curious the process time for dehydrated foods.

The Dane that I walk gets honest kitchen dehydrated food in his kong and for treats.
AllisonPitbullLvr
Regulator

Postby Nichole » Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:23 pm

AllisonPibbleLvr wrote:The Dane that I walk gets honest kitchen dehydrated food in his kong and for treats.

Same here. Works great stuffed in kongs! We freeze it :)
Nichole
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby starrlamia » Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:26 pm

i have a dehydrated raw, just add water, cant remember the brand name but I use it in kongs too!
starrlamia
Addicted to PBF

Postby Adrianne » Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:27 pm

Thanks for the kong tip!
Adrianne
Regulator

Postby FBODGRL » Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:01 pm

Does anyone raw feed their cats?
FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF

Postby Nichole » Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:48 pm

FBODGRL wrote:Does anyone raw feed their cats?

I tried. Afterwards, I felt like bashing my head into a brick wall.

So that would be a no!
Nichole
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby Adrianne » Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:55 pm

Nichole wrote:
FBODGRL wrote:Does anyone raw feed their cats?

I tried. Afterwards, I felt like bashing my head into a brick wall.

So that would be a no!

roflmao About how we felt when I tried to start my moms cats on raw... but I have friends who feed their cats raw happily.
Adrianne
Regulator

Postby FBODGRL » Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:00 pm

Yeah that is kind of why I haven't tried it lol

I do have one cat who will eat absolutely ANYTHING and he has stole raw stuff as I was packaging Khans meat and ate it fine. He stole part of a pork neck and there was no way I was fighting him for it. He ate it and came back crying for more roflmao My 2 eldest cats 12 and 9 have both had dentals and are both going to have to get dentals again. The piggie cat has not had one and his teeth are ok, but eventually probably could use a dental. I got the wheels turning about raw and dental health.

I wonder if eating just a chicken wing here and there would be of any benefit for their teeth. I know for certain I can get the one to eat that or anything and my 1 year old might be willing to try. The other 2 I don't know, but maybe I could get them to do a wing or something.

Any opinions or thoughts if a wing or some other RMB here and there would help their teeth?
FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF

Postby Adrianne » Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:28 pm

it definitely would. I have heard the temp effects them a lot more than dogs so warming it some will help a lot of cats accept raw.
Adrianne
Regulator

Postby GoingPostal » Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:40 pm

I feed my cat raw, she used to have a ton of problems on kibble, throwing up a lot which pretty much resolved once I smarted up and switched her to canned but once I started feeding raw to the ferrets I started offering it to the cat as well. Unfortunately she is limited in proteins she can/will eat. Poultry great, chicken, turkey, duck all fine. Rabbit we've had some issues with so I took out for awhile but started feeding it again and so far so good. And she loves mice, but won't touch any other whole prey. I swap back and forth on raw/canned since I'm not happy with the lack of variety in her raw but she does eat liver and hearts great on her own so that's a huge plus. Pretty much she just took to it on her own though, either she'd eat it or not and if I tried to trick her it got ignored or puked back up. Rather than a chicken wing, I would start a cornish game hen and chop it up, smaller bones like the ribs they might go for really easily, my cat won't really touch wings much, too hard to chew for not much meat, I find I have to feed it and ignore her so she gets the idea no more food is appearing and she will usually eat it within 30 minutes or so, normally food is gone in 1! Harder bones she might also ignore if I don't smash them up for her although she's gotten stronger with her chewing now or she just likes it more now. She's 15 or older and kibble fed up until a couple years ago. Her teeth seem to be genetically good although she does have a broken off canine she's had since I got her.
GoingPostal
Forum Junky

PreviousNext

Return to Health Issues