Feeding Raw

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Re: Feeding Raw

Postby leila.quinn.82 » Tue Sep 27, 2011 2:42 pm

ProudMommy77 wrote:
Adrianne wrote:Personally I look at it as "it could be worse" and at least the dogs are adopted and being fed. Some people cannot afford raw (yes, I know the stats but places like vegas make life much harder to feed raw, much more expensive) or acana, etc, but that doesn't make them less than perfectly loving homes.

:goodpost:

can we get back on topic with the raw feeding now...??? ;)

to be perfectly honest, we feed raw because it's much healthier for them, and it's cheaper, much cheaper, and the poop clean up is way less. With that being said, I am feeding six dogs on RAW, I spend anywhere from 170 to 250 about every three months for meat. Now, if I was going back to kibble, I would easily spend that a month on the dogs. :thumbsup:

There is nothing wrong with feeding kibble if you don't have the access to cheap meat sources, I don't mind doing a two hour drive for raw if I have too. But, I only have to drive fourteen miles to the next two over, or I can drive into Harrisburg, Quakertown, a wee little town five minutes away for leg quarters, or up to Hazelton to the Pork plant up there.

Would you be willing to refer me to some of your sources? I'm in the lehigh valley and am feeling overwhelmed, not sure where to start, but shopping for the dog at the super market is going to get expensive/old quick.
leila.quinn.82
Newborn Bully

Postby addieNmel » Sun Oct 02, 2011 8:38 am

Depending on where you live too, you might want to look into My Pet Carnivore or Hare Today, at least for starting out. They have decent prices and have a variety of groun whole animals, and whole..I've used my pet carnivore and really liked their stuff so far.

Addie is half kibble half raw fed. I feed her Acana when boarding, or when we're on vacation, but typically she gets kibble in the AM and raw in the PM, mostly because my husband gets up before I do. especially on the weekends shes all raw fed.. its amazing how much she LOVES it.. licks the bowl clean.. ( multiple times ..lol) . I usually add in some veggie and fruit mash as well.

As I probably have mentioned before, theres no right way to do it. Some will firmly stand behind one way or another, but every dogs different.
addieNmel
Newborn Bully

Postby Lioness » Mon Oct 03, 2011 1:27 am

addieNmel wrote:Depending on where you live too, you might want to look into My Pet Carnivore or Hare Today, at least for starting out. They have decent prices and have a variety of groun whole animals, and whole..I've used my pet carnivore and really liked their stuff so far.

Addie is half kibble half raw fed. I feed her Acana when boarding, or when we're on vacation, but typically she gets kibble in the AM and raw in the PM, mostly because my husband gets up before I do. especially on the weekends shes all raw fed.. its amazing how much she LOVES it.. licks the bowl clean.. ( multiple times ..lol) . I usually add in some veggie and fruit mash as well.

As I probably have mentioned before, theres no right way to do it. Some will firmly stand behind one way or another, but every dogs different.

I completely agree on the "no right way" thing. I often feel silly because I get so anal about my dog's diet but I'm shoving whatever crap-food I can afford into my face.

I had to fly out to Missouri for a funeral about a month ago. I separate all of Bodie's food into daily meal portions before I freeze it, so when I left I just made a couple of notes for the boyfriend and he did fine with thawing a bag and dumping it into a bowl every day. I was really proud. :D

Also, something that I've found to be moderately useful is Craigslist.
I've made a couple of "I WANT YOUR UNWANTED MEATS" posts and my most recent haul was about 10# of beef and chicken, 3# of liver and two huge beef hearts along with some fish, which I paid $10 for. It averaged out to about 0.60/lb of food. Not bad, if I do say so myself. Some of it was freezer-burned, but it isn't an issue for dogs unless the stuff has been thawed for too long and re-frozen.
Lioness
Newborn Bully

Postby FBODGRL » Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:38 pm

Pretty excited...In addition to Khan I now have 1 cat on full raw and 2 on half raw. The 2 on half should be on full within 2 weeks or less. 1 cat to go...she is being the hold out. I got a meat order this weekend with some fine grind to try with her. I got a bunch of stuff for them. I also got some chicken backs to try Khan on chicken...and some rabbit too.
FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF

Postby PaigeJ » Tue Oct 04, 2011 4:34 pm

I would really like to start feeding my dogs a raw diet. Right now I have three dogs on TOTW. I've had Maili on TOTW her whole life but I haven't been satisfied with it lately. She's has eye goop constantly now and I'd like to get rid of it. Annie seems to be doing fine on it. Charlie also has eye goop and fluctuates between hard and soft poops. Currently I buy a 30lb bag of TOTW for $50 (including shipping) from Petflow and the bag lasts 2 weeks. I'd like to feed my three dogs on raw for equal or less the cost of kibble a month. Is that possible?

I found a SoCal BARF group that offers ordering from local suppliers once a month and their next delivery is Oct. 7th. I get paid tomorrow and would like to buy some chicken/organs from them.

For one month, how many lbs of chicken/organs should I buy? Also Maili and Annie are already pros at eating raw meat with bones. Charlie has never had raw before.

Can you guys see this link? http://www.socalbarf.com/order/advanced ... en&x=0&y=0 They have 40lbs of chicken leg quarters for $27.20 that seems like a good price. Also (I have so many questions >_<) I want to buy chicken livers from them too. How much liver do you generally put in one meal? I feel like this post is all over the place lol
PaigeJ
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby MissKitty » Tue Oct 04, 2011 4:57 pm

For those who are vegetarian/vegan, how do you get over the 'oh my god, body parts :yucky: ' hump?
MissKitty
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby FransterDoo » Tue Oct 04, 2011 5:14 pm

PaigeJ wrote:.

For one month, how many lbs of chicken/organs should I buy? Also Maili and Annie are already pros at eating raw meat with bones. Charlie has never had raw before.

Can you guys see this link? http://www.socalbarf.com/order/advanced ... en&x=0&y=0 They have 40lbs of chicken leg quarters for $27.20 that seems like a good price. Also (I have so many questions >_<) I want to buy chicken livers from them too. How much liver do you generally put in one meal? I feel like this post is all over the place lol

Excel is your friend!

calculate what 2% of each of the dog's weight is. That's your average daily amount. Then you can figure out your total daily, weekly and monthly amount.

Then divide the cost by the case weight to get your per pound cost of the product.

At first, organs should j\be just a small bite. Too much liver = soft poops. You can do just chicken for a week or two as a trial period. Then while you are doing that and researching - you can start pricing out other things.

Also:

1) I'd highly suggest just putting the puppy on a different kibble and "experimenting" with the girls. You can switch him over once you are confident in the process.

2) Also check out Creston Valley Meats online, join carnivore feed supplier's yahoo list and start taking side trips to Asian markets and such to get pricing information.
FransterDoo
Addicted to PBF

Postby PaigeJ » Tue Oct 04, 2011 5:18 pm

FransterDoo wrote:
Excel is your friend!

calculate what 2% of each of the dog's weight is. That's your average daily amount. Then you can figure out your total daily, weekly and monthly amount.

Then divide the cost by the case weight to get your per pound cost of the product.

At first, organs should j\be just a small bite. Too much liver = soft poops. You can do just chicken for a week or two as a trial period. Then while you are doing that and researching - you can start pricing out other things.

Also:

1) I'd highly suggest just putting the puppy on a different kibble and "experimenting" with the girls. You can switch him over once you are confident in the process.

2) Also check out Creston Valley Meats online, join carnivore feed supplier's yahoo list and start taking side trips to Asian markets and such to get pricing information.

Thanks! I'll start experimenting in excel, I didn't even think to use that program :) Yeah keeping Charlie Brown on kibble is a good idea for now. Right now he eats more than the girls so calculating the % of food he'd need to continue growing would be a little more difficult.
PaigeJ
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby barefootxen » Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:52 pm

MissKitty wrote:For those who are vegetarian/vegan, how do you get over the 'oh my god, body parts :yucky: ' hump?

Xen isn't fed raw right now, but once we move I hope to switch her back over to it.

Both my boyfriend and I are vegetarian, and I used to live in a vegan house (and thankfully none of my room mates had a problem with raw for the dog/suggested vegan dog feed.)

It may just come down to the reason you've chosen vegetarian/vegan-ism. My bf and I have similar reasons, and for us the health of our dogs is more important than anything, and for us raw is the best for the dog and we see no reason that she should have meat.

My boyfriend has gutted/skinned/whatever else it is that you do with a deer for the lbs upon lbs of free venison in the middle of winter a few years back(I sat inside because I'm a bit more squeamish) just for the dogs.

So...I guess just breathe deeply and know you're earning major brownie points with your dog lol

/tangent.
barefootxen
Adolescent Bully

Postby FransterDoo » Tue Oct 04, 2011 7:33 pm

PaigeJ wrote:
Thanks! I'll start experimenting in excel, I didn't even think to use that program :) Yeah keeping Charlie Brown on kibble is a good idea for now. Right now he eats more than the girls so calculating the % of food he'd need to continue growing would be a little more difficult.

oh then you might find it easier to do the math on paper then. I love Excel and use it to create formulas and such. But if you aren't familiar it can be a little complicated.
FransterDoo
Addicted to PBF

Postby ProudMommy77 » Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:14 pm

leila.quinn.82 wrote:
ProudMommy77 wrote:
Adrianne wrote:Personally I look at it as "it could be worse" and at least the dogs are adopted and being fed. Some people cannot afford raw (yes, I know the stats but places like vegas make life much harder to feed raw, much more expensive) or acana, etc, but that doesn't make them less than perfectly loving homes.

:goodpost:

can we get back on topic with the raw feeding now...??? ;)

to be perfectly honest, we feed raw because it's much healthier for them, and it's cheaper, much cheaper, and the poop clean up is way less. With that being said, I am feeding six dogs on RAW, I spend anywhere from 170 to 250 about every three months for meat. Now, if I was going back to kibble, I would easily spend that a month on the dogs. :thumbsup:

There is nothing wrong with feeding kibble if you don't have the access to cheap meat sources, I don't mind doing a two hour drive for raw if I have too. But, I only have to drive fourteen miles to the next two over, or I can drive into Harrisburg, Quakertown, a wee little town five minutes away for leg quarters, or up to Hazelton to the Pork plant up there.

Would you be willing to refer me to some of your sources? I'm in the lehigh valley and am feeling overwhelmed, not sure where to start, but shopping for the dog at the super market is going to get expensive/old quick.

sure, the place I use right now, like I said is fourteen miles away from me, however, when I place I another order, if you are interested, I can send you the prices, and if you want something, I can order it with mine, and just meet you somewhere on 78, and drop it off. I will PM, you the other places I use, or have used.
ProudMommy77
Forum Junky

Postby FBODGRL » Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:07 pm

Paigej...did you read through this thread? I posted a spreadsheet several pages back. I have a better on on my pc, but I am not sure when I will be able to get to it. I also posted some links to basic start up information. You really don't have to start organ right in the beginning. I personally wouldn't...coming from the someones whose dog had digestive issues here and there for a while.
FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF

Postby PaigeJ » Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:07 am

FBODGRL wrote:Paigej...did you read through this thread? I posted a spreadsheet several pages back. I have a better on on my pc, but I am not sure when I will be able to get to it. I also posted some links to basic start up information. You really don't have to start organ right in the beginning. I personally wouldn't...coming from the someones whose dog had digestive issues here and there for a while.

Yes I read through the entire thread this afternoon but must have missed your spreadsheet post. I'll look again thanks :nana:
PaigeJ
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby PaigeJ » Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:16 pm

So Annie and Maili had their first raw meal tonight and it was very successful :peace:

Today I went to a Mexican supermarket I'd found on yelp to check prices for meat. It was only a mile from my house and had meat SUPER cheap. Their butcher selection was huge and they had a special going on for drumsticks for .69/lb. I got 20 lbs of that and then 10 lbs of chicken quarters for $1.19/lb. I also picked up 5lbs of beef liver that ended up being about $6. They had a case of 20 eggs for $3 so I bought that as well.

This is my haul. I'm really happy I could find enough meat to last 2 weeks and I only spent $33.

Tonight Maili and Annie got a drumstick each, a soft boiled egg, and their usual salmon oil capsule. They had so much fun cracking the bone and eating their egg shells. They keep going back into the kitchen looking for more. I plan on giving them an egg every other day and just chicken for the next couple weeks. I'll save the beef liver in the freezer until they're ready for it.
PaigeJ
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby HappyPuppy » Fri Oct 07, 2011 11:10 am

I just about over did my capability and patience yesterday with the meat shopping I did. Ugh – packaged up everything ‘cept the 2 chix and 2 turkey breasts and the tilapia last nite – will finish tonight. Even had to overflow into the human freezer LOL. I don’t usually buy this much at once but 4 stores had sales that I wanted to take advantage of!

I finally got over paying $1.79 for some things and stocked up….(FOR MY ONE DOG). Here was my score yesterday – 4 stores and $75.75 and 56 lbs of meat later….. I finally did some math – tho this does not include what was already in my freezer…. Keep in mind, I currently feed ½ kibble AM and ½ raw PM.

This does not include the random eggs, canned tripe or canned sardines, etc. – I also get whole mackerel for $2.00/lb that is not included here, which is fed once a week. I also feed chicken for 2 days or so and then alternate with a different meat.

LB $/LB TOT COST FOR RAW (serving size approx 8 oz)
2.00 lb $1.49/lb $2.98 TILAPIA (2 fish)
1.98 lb $0.99/lb $1.96 BEEF LIVER
10.73 lb $1.77/lb $19.00 HAMBURGER 80/20
3.81 lb $1.79/lb $6.82 BEEF HEART
2.73 lb $1.69/lb $4.61 PORK ASST’D CUTS FOR POZOL
2.91 lb $1.79/lb $5.21 PORK CUSHION MEAT (boneless)
3.35 lb $1.59 $5.33 PORK NECK BONES with some meat
^ every time I buy these pork necks, I swear off of them since they are soooo and dense 
0.54 lb $1.69/lb $0.80 CHICKEN HEART (already had some)
1.28 lb $1.69/lb $2.16 CHICKEN GIZZARD
11.62 lb $0.69/lb $8.02 WHOLE CHICKEN (2 whole chix)
14.03 lb $1.49/lb $20.90 WHOLE TURKEY BREAST w/ bone (2 whole breasts with bone)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
56.00 lb $1.35/lb $75.75
TOT LB AVG/LB TOTAL SPENT

KIBBLE – KIRKLAND CHICKEN (right now; serving size approx 1 cup = 4 oz)
40 lb $1.60/lb $25.00 (approx)

DAY / MONTH / TOTAL SUMMARY

PER DAY raw $0.68
PER MONTH raw $20.29
PURCHASE SHOULD LAST 3.724 months

PER DAY kibble $0.40
PER MONTH kibble $12.00
PURCHASE SHOULD LAST 5.281 months

TOTAL COST PER DAY $1.08
TOTAL COST PER MONTH $32.29

HappyPuppy
Addicted to PBF