Feeding Raw

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Re: Feeding Raw

Postby mommy2kane » Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:21 pm

We introduced some organs once the dogs were doing quarters for a while, but we haven't had to buy organs separately anymore. The quarters and backs that we get still have some attached, so they get a little bit every day.

We've been adding beef heart to meals lately, to get winter weight on (one more ADBA show next week though) and most do fine with it. Kane can't handle a whole bunch every day, but otherwise he's fine with it. I'd love to get my hands on venison and other meats to start feeding!
mommy2kane
Addicted to PBF

Re: Feeding Raw

Postby FransterDoo » Wed Nov 16, 2011 5:40 pm

MissKitty wrote:I have been slowly switching him over for a little over a month. He is on chicken legs right now.

I am holding off on the heart/liver, it is sitting in the freezer. My friend just slaughtered some of her cattle herd and gave me a heart/liver and I couldn't say no to free dog food lol
I just wasn't sure how to even approach cutting it up.....

Thanks for the reminder though!

Sounds good then!

I'd suggest laying them flat on a cookie sheet if you have the room in your freezer and letting them freeze until mostly frozen (few hours). Then use a serrated blade and a big cutting board. I'd cut them into chunks that you could add to his regular meal (say 1/4 of his typical meal size). Lay them back out on the sheet and freeze them all the way. Finally, put them all into a large baggie. Then you can just take one out and feed it as is.
FransterDoo
Addicted to PBF

Previous

Return to Health Issues