Feeding Raw

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
Amie

Re: Feeding Raw

Postby Amie » Thu Aug 11, 2011 7:15 am

I have six raw fed cats (and of course the two dogs). I was feeding them, then got lazy and went back to kibble, and two of the six had medical issues affected by what they were eating (or, more specifically, what they weren't drinking) - a UTI and megacolon, both of which can be lessened by the amount of hydration the cat is getting. Cats are notorious for not drinking enough, and "hiding" water in their food is easy to do when you do raw.

Raw has obviously more moisture than kibble, and I can't afford canned for six cats (I pay a max of $1.40/lb, they eat 2lb a day, and to feed them enough canned would be $7 - $10) They've been on raw ever since with no issues.

In the summer months I break it down into more frequent meals so it doesn't get too warm but in the winter I just plop all two pounds out in a big bowl and pour a lot of water on it. I have to set it out frozen, because another cat is a gulper and if he can shove the whole two pounds in his mouth he will, and then throw it back up. When it's frozen it slows him down enough that he doesn't make himself sick.

We feed a lot of quail - they all seem to always like that, and they get picky about chicken or turkey. I do alternate in other birds now and then, and occasionally fish. They do NOT like rabbit, and Oscar has a bad beef allergy, so we stick to rotating through birds and fish as I can.

ProudMommy77
Forum Junky

Postby ProudMommy77 » Fri Aug 12, 2011 4:10 pm

tonight for dinner, whole parts....enjoy!

Adrianne

Postby Adrianne » Fri Aug 12, 2011 4:17 pm

Still wondering the input on Grape Seed Extract...

starrlamia
Addicted to PBF

Postby starrlamia » Fri Aug 12, 2011 7:24 pm

Adrianne wrote:Still wondering the input on Grape Seed Extract...

i found this
http://www.umm.edu/altmed/articles/grap ... 000254.htm
its touted as an antioxidant, Im going to do a bit more research before I grab any, I did add in some ground flax seed which the dogs seem to like.

No pictures but the cat caught a rabbit and left it in the yard, so the dogs got rabbit for breakfast, it wasnt ideal obviously because it's wild but they ate half of it before i could run after them and take it away, so I said, fine! if it upsets your tummy it's your own fault! I took it away when brie decided to bring the ass end into the house, little bugger.
Neither of them seemed the least bit put off of ripping it apart or eating the fur!

Lioness
Newborn Bully

Postby Lioness » Sun Aug 14, 2011 2:11 pm

I started feeding Bodie his raw diet a couple of days ago - these are photos from today, Day 3.
I am using 80/10/10, but being so early on he is only getting meat and bones right now.

It's going so well. :) He hasn't refused any since day one.

Can I please have that food?

THE FOOD IS HERE!! :D Bodie is the most careful food-grabber I have ever had the pleasure of hand-feeding.

Aaaaand, for good measure, I also took a video:

kagnew
Newborn Bully

Postby kagnew » Sun Aug 14, 2011 2:44 pm

Lioness wrote:I started feeding Bodie his raw diet a couple of days ago - these are photos from today, Day 3.
I am using 80/10/10, but being so early on he is only getting meat and bones right now.

It's going so well. :) He hasn't refused any since day one.

Yay Bodie - and Lioness!!! I know you both will continue to enjoy and thrive!!! Live long & prosper!

(Those look like some nice meaty bits! Just watch - if his stool gets too hard you might want to throw in some extra ground chicken, maybe some livers as well!)

El_EmDubya
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby El_EmDubya » Sun Aug 14, 2011 3:19 pm

That video is going to be a great demonstration of how his body will redistribute the fat and muscle. I can't wait to see what he looks like in a month...and don't forget the Salmon Oil!

BrokenAquarian
Addicted to PBF

Postby BrokenAquarian » Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:27 pm

Duration: under 2 minutes
Size: XXL - 375 - 474 grams

Boss*sMom
Super Bully

Postby Boss*sMom » Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:39 pm

I thought I wanted to start feeding raw, I really would like too. But one look at this thread and I am so sick I'm going to lie down.....

Maybe I can overcome this later, but for now I cant stomach all of this. He will just have to stay on his kibble with the occasional chicken tender or porkchop thrown his way.

Lioness
Newborn Bully

Postby Lioness » Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:49 pm

Boss*sMom wrote:I thought I wanted to start feeding raw, I really would like too. But one look at this thread and I am so sick I'm going to lie down.....

Maybe I can overcome this later, but for now I cant stomach all of this. He will just have to stay on his kibble with the occasional chicken tender or porkchop thrown his way.

It's a little overwhelming.
I made sure to look at lots of pictures and videos so I would know what to expect.
Obviously I haven't fed a whole animal yet but handling the meat and bones isn't as jarring as I had expected it to be.

I had a king snake a while back that I had to feed baby (dead) mice to.. that was hard, at times.
I wish you the best of luck. (: My best advice would be to keep looking if it's something you really want to do, and hit up YouTube for some videos when you think you are ready. It really puts the movements and the crunching out there for your brain to digest.

Lioness
Newborn Bully

Postby Lioness » Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:50 pm

BrokenAquarian wrote:Duration: under 2 minutes
Size: XXL - 375 - 474 grams

Are those guineas?
.. and where do you get them? :D

BrokenAquarian
Addicted to PBF

Postby BrokenAquarian » Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:53 pm

Yep. :)
I get them from RodentPro.com

FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF

Postby FBODGRL » Mon Aug 15, 2011 3:09 pm

Boss*sMom wrote:I thought I wanted to start feeding raw, I really would like too. But one look at this thread and I am so sick I'm going to lie down.....

I don't feed WHOLE prey. I don't think I could stomach it. I feed parts, which is easier (to look at) to me. I don't really like handling raw meat, never have....but for how much of an improvement I have seen in my dogs allergies I'll deal with it lol

Ilovethepits
Addicted to PBF

Postby Ilovethepits » Mon Aug 15, 2011 3:16 pm

I'm not feeding raw right now but have in the past and we have a "pet food deli" here in town and all the meat is ground up so it's not quite so gross. Expensive though.

I will say Lily would eat it so darn fast she would throw it back up and eat it again which WAS gross.

If you are real interested in trying it you could start with the premade raw patties that are frozen and/or some chicken pieces.

starrlamia
Addicted to PBF

Postby starrlamia » Mon Aug 15, 2011 3:34 pm

FBODGRL wrote:

I don't feed WHOLE prey. I don't think I could stomach it. I feed parts, which is easier (to look at) to me. I don't really like handling raw meat, never have....but for how much of an improvement I have seen in my dogs allergies I'll deal with it lol

I think I could, just not rabbit (some reason it freaked me out, re: my previous post), if you dont feed whole prey it really isnt any worse then preparing your own meals. The worst part for me is when I get big cuts or whole turkeys and have to spend a while portioning it. Once it is portioned, I freeze and it makes it even less gross lol

Return to “Health Issues”