Feeding Raw

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
ProudMommy77
Forum Junky

Re: Feeding Raw

Postby ProudMommy77 » Mon Aug 15, 2011 5:27 pm

I have never fed Guinea Pigs...hmmmmmmmmm....where do you get them from?

Adrianne

Postby Adrianne » Mon Aug 15, 2011 5:47 pm

ProudMommy77 wrote:I have never fed Guinea Pigs...hmmmmmmmmm....where do you get them from?

They were pretty cheap on that site, rodentpro.com... I'm considering them myself!

GoingPostal
Forum Junky

Postby GoingPostal » Mon Aug 15, 2011 6:00 pm

Rodent pro has awesome prices on guinea pigs! If you sign up with them they send coupons sometimes, although it's better if you live somewhere you can pick up feeders or if you can get the greyhound shipping option. I've never fed them to the dogs though, just the ferrets.

Adrianne

Postby Adrianne » Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:13 pm

You've fed GPs to the ferrets? not whole, right?

GoingPostal
Forum Junky

Postby GoingPostal » Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:29 pm

When I had four I fed them whole but gutted as they won't eat it otherwise, I only have two ferrets now so I chop most of my GP and rats in half, otherwise they would take too long to eat. Larger guinea pigs they will leave some of the fur, same with rabbits and they leave most of the feathers with quail. Sometimes I find a quail egg the next day too, lol!

That was a guinea pig

chicks

Rabbit

chicken

Adrianne

Feeding Raw

Postby Adrianne » Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:41 pm

Silly question maybe... They won't fight? Very cool and educational photos! Thanks for sharing!

trexgorawrrrrr
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby trexgorawrrrrr » Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:36 am

:crybaby:

Those guinea pig pictures kill me... Well, I guess I know to stay out of this thread :(

Boss*sMom
Super Bully

Postby Boss*sMom » Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:44 am

^^ I agree, cant stomach this... Have fun with your kibble boss, mommy has a weak stomach.

:crybaby:

Mya&theSiebenDackels
Addicted to PBF

Postby Mya&theSiebenDackels » Tue Aug 16, 2011 2:01 am

My dogs would LOVE whole prey like rabbits or guinea pigs from that site! I might consider getting them some of those someday. I think I could feed something like that as long as I just separate my self from the fact that I once owned both of those types of animals as pets and that it is something that will be good for my dogs and that they will love it.

GoingPostal
Forum Junky

Postby GoingPostal » Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:23 am

Adrianne wrote:Silly question maybe... They won't fight? Very cool and educational photos! Thanks for sharing!

Not really fight but they will scream bloody murder at each other if I don't clip food to something because every ferret likes to drag it to "their" spot, then the next one steals it and drags it somewhere else, mice I feed loose because there is more than enough for everyone but they still screech and play tug of war with it and chase each other around moving them, but ferrets obviously don't eat the larger prey all at once so they eat some, conk out, one gets up, eat some more, then a different one does, usually with the stashing they don't even want to eat it right then.

BrokenAquarian
Addicted to PBF

Postby BrokenAquarian » Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:56 am

I've always heard that weasles are about halfway between dogs and cats. Their feeding seems to be more cat-like, with the non gut eating tendencies.

I wish all dogs did is scream over sharing food. lol
Then again, cats will fight over food - won't they?

GoingPostal
Forum Junky

Postby GoingPostal » Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:10 am

Yeah I'd never throw a guinea pig between my two dogs that's for sure! My cat will back off if the ferrets mess with her food, but I tried to get a dropped mouse she wasn't supposed to have back from her (alive) and it was quite a battle. The ferrets only won't eat the guts with guineas and rabbits, heavy herbivores with lots of nasties inside, and they WILL eat them, but only if they can shake out the contents first which is far too messy to allow inside. They don't have a problem eating guts in mice, rats and quail at all.

Nichole
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby Nichole » Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:15 am

I just msged my source for rabbits and asked for 2 smallish youngsters. I'm gonna give it a whirl. I have a feeling the girls are going to sniff it and look at me like "wtf is this, mom?"

FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF

Postby FBODGRL » Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:11 pm

BrokenAquarian wrote:I've always heard that weasles are about halfway between dogs and cats. Their feeding seems to be more cat-like, with the non gut eating tendencies.

I wish all dogs did is scream over sharing food. lol
Then again, cats will fight over food - won't they?

My cats will fight over food. Out of the 4 I have only 1 probably wouldn't fight. I don't raw feed them. The 1 will let any of them walk up to his dish and he just backs off and walks away. So I have monitor feeding so there is no stealing. I have to keep my bratty boy locked in a different room...cause he will steal and fight for food. If he steals my food or something I am preparing for Khan I have gotten to the point I won't fight him for it. Since he will bite me over it!

Curly_07

Postby Curly_07 » Wed Aug 17, 2011 5:38 pm

I have a question about raw/cooked eggs...Is it ok to mix in a raw or cooked egg with the rest of their meal? I keep reading mixed answers on this between the "What not to feed your dog" thread, vets opinion, Goolge, and these RAW threads. Can someone please shed some light on this for me? What are the pro/cons to feeding a raw or cooked egg? Does feeding a raw/cooked egg have benefits that out weigh why not to feed a raw/cooked egg? Also, trying to determine if I should start throwing one in their meal(I'm gradually switching to raw now if this make a difference)? Thanks!

Return to “Health Issues”