Feeding Raw

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
FransterDoo
Addicted to PBF

Re: Feeding Raw

Postby FransterDoo » Wed Aug 24, 2011 3:11 pm

I do the bigger bones in crates without bedding. Then I can clean out the crates afterward. Plus then everyone is in their "safe place" for enjoying it.

Same thing with dinner for the majority of my crew. Franny takes forever so she eats in the kitchen and Hank eats in the living room out of a bowl on hardwood. If I need to clean up I use a non-toxic spray cleaner, plenty of paper towels or sometimes hot water and vinegar.

PitbullLover*
Super Bully

Postby PitbullLover* » Wed Aug 24, 2011 4:08 pm

This is a very interesting topic, my both dogs eat kibble and one eat caned food. I might think that making my own food for atleast one of my dogs is very much fun :) My other dogs has since a few days food from the vet, but i might think that feeding her raw might not be such a bad idea...what do you guys think, she has been diagnosed with a disease of the immune system.... and she has most likely chronic collitis.

btw. I won't start doing head though yuck. Or guinea pigs..guess because i had one as a pet...

GoingPostal
Forum Junky

Postby GoingPostal » Wed Aug 24, 2011 4:39 pm

I feed my cat on hand towels and she occasionally drags stuff off while eating but is good for the most part, she knows now that's where to eat, the ferrets I don't really worry about, they drag their food everywhere but it's all on plastic sheeting and gets mopped regularly. Dogs get raw stuff outside, in the kitchen or on towels.

FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF

Postby FBODGRL » Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:22 pm

Monika wrote:Here's my question...

No one has mentioned clean up!!! :wow

I see a lot of the pictures are outside so that's easy but for the people that feed inside how often do you mop? or sanitize your floor? I feed Acana which I'm very happy with but I'd love to start giving RMBs as a treat... I just know my dog won't stay on the towel i put down... I've even thought about giving a RMB to her before I leave for work instead of a kong. I just don't want to come home to a bloody mess...

Any suggestions or thoughts??

I feed on old "rag" type towels. So I don't worry about them getting all stained and nasty. Khan knows when his towel goes down that is where he eats. For years before this I have always put towels down when he had knuckle bones, etc. Occasionally he will get something on the floor and I just scrub it up or throw the spot bot on it. It rarely happens. I should mention the room he eats in is carpeted. I've never had any problems. I also have a carpet cleaner and I clean my own carpets through out the year several times.

starrlamia wrote:
FBODGRL wrote:So any suggestions on how often I should offer RMB's for the cats teeth?

Also I need dome guidance on kelp. I'd like to try adding it. Can someone tell me how much a 50ish lb dog should get. Do they sell it in capsules? Can I just give the human grade stuff(assuming there is a human kind)?

i got pet stuff and it came with a scoop, i can look at the directions if you want but it was something like 1/2 tsp a day

What type of pet stuff do you have? I'm wondering how I would add something that is a powder, etc. Maybe I could just put it on the meats themselves :dunno:

AllisonPitbullLvr

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:29 pm

Interesting thing about kelp from my patient files today.

Have a little pit who has been fed a home cooked diet for several years. Found hyperthyroid on some routine bloodwork, so took him off the kelp (to see if the iodine was what was causing it). Thyroid levels stayed elevated, we were worried about thyroid cancer, so we referred him to the Ontario Vet College.

The results of his very extensive tests (including scintigraphy) came back today. No answer for the elevated thyroid levels so they are considering it a side effect from being fed kelp over several years.

I took my guys off it because Buddy is hypothyroid and I didn't want any potential for the kelp to throw off her blood test results.

Just something interesting I thought I'd share.

Nichole
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby Nichole » Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:35 pm

Could is not be that the dog developed hyperthyroid over time? I realize dogs aren't people but people develop it over time and it isn't necessarily related to cancer and they aren't on kelp.

Sorry if that sounds dumb. I'm just trying to understand if it was really the kelp or just a coincidence that the dog was on it and developed hyperthyroid.

AllisonPitbullLvr

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:41 pm

Nichole wrote:Could is not be that the dog developed hyperthyroid over time? I realize dogs aren't people but people develop it over time and it isn't necessarily related to cancer and they aren't on kelp.

Sorry if that sounds dumb. I'm just trying to understand if it was really the kelp or just a coincidence that the dog was on it and developed hyperthyroid.

Dogs don't typically get hyperthyroid, they get hypothyroid (the opposite is true in cats).

So while my dog for instance, has the common and treatable hypothyroid, usually when they dogs T4 levels are elevated, there's an underlying cause.

Nichole
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby Nichole » Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:57 pm

AllisonPibbleLvr wrote:
Nichole wrote:Could is not be that the dog developed hyperthyroid over time? I realize dogs aren't people but people develop it over time and it isn't necessarily related to cancer and they aren't on kelp.

Dogs don't typically get hyperthyroid, they get hypothyroid (the opposite is true in cats).

So while my dog for instance, has the common and treatable hypothyroid, usually when they dogs T4 levels are elevated, there's an underlying cause.

Gotcha. Didn't realize it was so specifically different for the different species. Humans swing both ways, dogs are hypo, cats are hyper. Got it. Check.

FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF

Postby FBODGRL » Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:56 pm

AllisonPibbleLvr wrote:Interesting thing about kelp from my patient files today.

Have a little pit who has been fed a home cooked diet for several years. Found hyperthyroid on some routine bloodwork, so took him off the kelp (to see if the iodine was what was causing it). Thyroid levels stayed elevated, we were worried about thyroid cancer, so we referred him to the Ontario Vet College.

The results of his very extensive tests (including scintigraphy) came back today. No answer for the elevated thyroid levels so they are considering it a side effect from being fed kelp over several years.

I took my guys off it because Buddy is hypothyroid and I didn't want any potential for the kelp to throw off her blood test results.

Just something interesting I thought I'd share.

I don't think/know that it is something I would keep Khan on long term. I am just concerned that he is not getting all necessary nutrients because his the amount of organ he eats is still low. We are working up, but he has been on raw since the fall. Theoretically I would like to have him up to full amount at the year marker, but I don't know that it will happen as I can only slowly increase or we have digestive upset.

Monika
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby Monika » Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:51 am

So I gave Sasha a marrow bone last night in her crate lined with an old towel and she went to town!!! She didn't even care to come out and great our friend who's her favorite man-friend! :) I let her out after she had eaten all the meat off the outside and only a little bit marrow left inside...

I wonder how many calories that one marrow bone is?? Instead of giving her dinner she just had the marrow bone and 2 soft boiled eggs...

mommy2kane
Addicted to PBF

Postby mommy2kane » Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:54 am

Crates for feeding, so they keep it contained. Kane used to eat his meal out, in the basement or kitchen -- but crunching down on a quarter or back or something send organs and stuff flying! So it's just easier to feed everyone in their crate.

akaspaddero
Addicted to PBF

Postby akaspaddero » Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:48 pm

I use old sheets when feeding RMB. I just lay them in kitchen and labs stay on them.
For Sneek - I feed in her crate - not bedding etc. I then clean it with hot soapy water and white vinegar.
Raw is a NO NO for Maddie. She got really sick on it . I have tried giving her a RMB once in a while and I deal with explosive chocolate and bile.

akaspaddero
Addicted to PBF

Postby akaspaddero » Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:49 pm

Monika wrote:I wonder how many calories that one marrow bone is?? Instead of giving her dinner she just had the marrow bone and 2 soft boiled eggs...

Every two weeks, my dogs get a RMB (marrow bone, knuckle, lamb neck) for dinner. I use it on their fast day (really isn't a fast per say but less than normal)

merriterrier
Addicted to PBF

Postby merriterrier » Sat Aug 27, 2011 1:38 pm

I feed outside. If I feed inside I confine it and mop afterwards.

Question. Does anyone feed fish raw? I have a plethora of rainbow trout and have been giving it in place of the other meat (usually beef or lamb) intermittently. Is there anything I should know?

FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF

Postby FBODGRL » Sat Aug 27, 2011 1:41 pm

Rarely...I can't find any fish at a good price so I don't really feed it.

Return to “Health Issues”