Feeding Raw

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
GoingPostal
Forum Junky

Re: Feeding Raw

Postby GoingPostal » Sat Aug 27, 2011 3:16 pm

I feed raw fish if I have it, got freezer burned walleye from one of my jobs and I bought smelt for the ferrets/cat once, they hated it, the dogs weren't too thrilled about it either, until I froze it and then they loved them for treats! I know there's some fish that can carry something nasty, see if I can look it up again.

FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF

Postby FBODGRL » Sat Aug 27, 2011 4:28 pm

GoingPostal wrote:I feed raw fish if I have it, got freezer burned walleye from one of my jobs and I bought smelt for the ferrets/cat once, they hated it, the dogs weren't too thrilled about it either, until I froze it and then they loved them for treats! I know there's some fish that can carry something nasty, see if I can look it up again.

Pacific Salmon and trout...but even that is Ok if you freeze it first

FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF

Postby FBODGRL » Sat Aug 27, 2011 4:36 pm

Mateo had his first chicken wing yesterday Image

The other 3 cats turned their noses up at them. I'll have to keep working on them.

GoingPostal
Forum Junky

Postby GoingPostal » Sun Aug 28, 2011 10:20 am

What do most of you raw feeders purchase in bulk? Now that we have 3 dogs, it's looking like I actually could afford to feed raw for about the same as kibble, I talked to the butcher at my grocery store today and he said they could get turkey necks, chicken quarters etc in 30 pound cases for .69-.79 a pound, I'm hoping to get firearm safety with my b/f before sept, if we bag some deer we could use the venison as boneless meat along with buying some beef or whatever, lots of people sell cows by the 1/4 or 1/2 around me. I still have quite a bit of pork heart/liver and beef liver/kidney that my ferrets and cat won't touch and I can get chicken/turkey livers locally. Finding other organs might be difficult but I already order from hare today and I do have a few xlarge guinea pigs and rats that I need to use up. I fed Ripley half a guinea yesterday and she thought it was great, today the dogs got turkey necks and pork heart for breakfast.

merriterrier
Addicted to PBF

Postby merriterrier » Sun Aug 28, 2011 10:39 am

Yeah, the trout is all frozen. We fish, our friends fish, we end up with a crap load of rainbow trout. My dogs won't eat it out of the lake, but I give it to them frozen and they like to gnaw on it.

FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF

Postby FBODGRL » Sun Aug 28, 2011 11:09 am

merriterrier wrote:Yeah, the trout is all frozen. We fish, our friends fish, we end up with a crap load of rainbow trout. My dogs won't eat it out of the lake, but I give it to them frozen and they like to gnaw on it.

I'm jealous!

GoingPostal wrote:What do most of you raw feeders purchase in bulk? Now that we have 3 dogs, it's looking like I actually could afford to feed raw for about the same as kibble, I talked to the butcher at my grocery store today and he said they could get turkey necks, chicken quarters etc in 30 pound cases for .69-.79 a pound, I'm hoping to get firearm safety with my b/f before sept, if we bag some deer we could use the venison as boneless meat along with buying some beef or whatever, lots of people sell cows by the 1/4 or 1/2 around me. I still have quite a bit of pork heart/liver and beef liver/kidney that my ferrets and cat won't touch and I can get chicken/turkey livers locally. Finding other organs might be difficult but I already order from hare today and I do have a few xlarge guinea pigs and rats that I need to use up. I fed Ripley half a guinea yesterday and she thought it was great, today the dogs got turkey necks and pork heart for breakfast.

I am in a couple raw feeding co ops on yahoo groups. At this point I have only bought boneless turkey and organ in bulk, but as I feed more I will get probably get a bigger variety. I have had quite a few people suggest farmers markets too. I haven't been to any to check, but I know some of the suppliers go to them.

starrlamia
Addicted to PBF

Postby starrlamia » Sun Aug 28, 2011 11:58 am

i buy pork, chicken and turkey in bulk mostly. As long as the cut is meaty I will take it :P Then I figure out what to do with it afterward. That is a good price for chicken quarters! I dont feed necks but im sure that is a good price too.

mommy2kane
Addicted to PBF

Postby mommy2kane » Sun Aug 28, 2011 2:58 pm

We buy chicken quarters in bulk (40 lb cases @ $23/box), chicken backs (40 lb cases @ $10/box) and beef heart (30 lb cases @ $32/box).

lilangel
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby lilangel » Sun Aug 28, 2011 4:00 pm

Monika wrote:Here's my question...

No one has mentioned clean up!!! :wow

I see a lot of the pictures are outside so that's easy but for the people that feed inside how often do you mop? or sanitize your floor? I feed Acana which I'm very happy with but I'd love to start giving RMBs as a treat... I just know my dog won't stay on the towel i put down... I've even thought about giving a RMB to her before I leave for work instead of a kong. I just don't want to come home to a bloody mess...

Any suggestions or thoughts??

If you plan ahead, clean up is a cinch. As you can see in my pix there are only a few utensils and a cup that need cleaning. Hot soapy water does the trick. We do not even have a dish washer here. We don't get all germ-a-phobic about anything as we live on a farm where germ-a-phobia just isn't possible. I wash the cutting board with soapy water after each use and I sterilize with boiling water once a week or less. Containers get washed in hottish soapy water when they are empty. Bowls get washed in hottish soapy water. We don't use anti-bacterial anything, just eco friendly (ecover) dish soap. We don't get GI illnesses or anything. Americans are way too paranoid about stuff like that. Go to parts of europe and Africa where eggs and yogurt are outside all day in food stands and you will see just how nuts Americans are about perceptions of cleanliness. Eliminate all the germs in your environment and over time you will not only create resistant organisms but you may become susceptible to more diseases. Look at things like MRSA and VRSA. Human created superbugs resulting from overprescribing of anti-biotics.

FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF

Postby FBODGRL » Sun Aug 28, 2011 10:08 pm

Thought I would share this site http://preymodelraw.com/ I used this site when I first started feeding Khan raw.

Boss*sMom
Super Bully

Postby Boss*sMom » Sun Aug 28, 2011 10:25 pm

I'm doing it! Slowly.... Feeding raw sometimes (when cooking mostly) and still feeding dry kibble.

Is seafood okay? Mainly shrimp and catfish?

FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF

Postby FBODGRL » Sun Aug 28, 2011 10:28 pm

Fish from Pacific Northwest should be frozen before feeding. So should wild game.

Boss*sMom
Super Bully

Postby Boss*sMom » Sun Aug 28, 2011 10:33 pm

These fish are from our pond... The shrimp are from the gulf of mexico. I didnt know to freeze wild game before feeding, I appreciate that info!! I have some deer hooves in the freezer I might thaw out for the gang to knaw on... Outside!

Should the catfish and shrimp be frozen beforehand? I did slip them a few shrimp when we were peeling them yesterday.

FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF

Postby FBODGRL » Sun Aug 28, 2011 10:40 pm

If it is not from the Pacific northwest, then no it doesn't need to be frozen first.

FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF

Postby FBODGRL » Sun Aug 28, 2011 10:48 pm

This calculator is a little intense. http://www.netrophic.com/misc/NewPerson ... gGuide.xls I can't seem to find the one I used when I started Khan off on raw. But if you concentrate on the top portion it will give you the amount to feed based on weight for meat, organs, etc.

Thought it might be helpful for newbies. I was looking around trying to decide how much I would feed for my 1 cat if I were to switch to full raw.

Return to “Health Issues”