Feeding Raw

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF

Re: Feeding Raw

Postby FBODGRL » Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:29 pm

So I was portioning up some meat and organs for Khan today.

My bratty food thief cat Mateo stole a huge chunk of pork neck. It was thin, but long. I proceed to chase him around with him growling at me. He ended up taking it under the bed where I managed to get a portion of it back while he was hissing, growling and swatting at me while he was eating the portion I left for him roflmao I never would have tried to get it back from him if it wasn't larger enough hat I knew he would have something to chew on besides my hand!

I got the cats chicken wings when I picked up some meat for Khan, but I haven't tried them yet with them. I guess if anything Mateo will/can have pork neck since this is the 2nd or 3rd time he has got some while I portioned Khans meat. I think I could easily switch him over to full raw and I think I may research up on it now for cats.

How often would you all suggest I give the kitties RMB (like wings or whatever I decide) to try and get their teethies clean or keep them clean? Once a week, couple times a week?

starrlamia
Addicted to PBF

Postby starrlamia » Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:38 pm

Curly_07 wrote:I have a question about raw/cooked eggs...Is it ok to mix in a raw or cooked egg with the rest of their meal? I keep reading mixed answers on this between the "What not to feed your dog" thread, vets opinion, Goolge, and these RAW threads. Can someone please shed some light on this for me? What are the pro/cons to feeding a raw or cooked egg? Does feeding a raw/cooked egg have benefits that out weigh why not to feed a raw/cooked egg? Also, trying to determine if I should start throwing one in their meal(I'm gradually switching to raw now if this make a difference)? Thanks!

i just give them raw but they dont always eat them all.

fbdogirl- my cat will eat chunks of raw meat but for some reason wont eat wings. Makes no sense to me.

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Thu Aug 18, 2011 12:24 am

Curly_07 wrote:I have a question about raw/cooked eggs...Is it ok to mix in a raw or cooked egg with the rest of their meal? I keep reading mixed answers on this between the "What not to feed your dog" thread, vets opinion, Goolge, and these RAW threads. Can someone please shed some light on this for me? What are the pro/cons to feeding a raw or cooked egg? Does feeding a raw/cooked egg have benefits that out weigh why not to feed a raw/cooked egg? Also, trying to determine if I should start throwing one in their meal(I'm gradually switching to raw now if this make a difference)? Thanks!

I put raw eggs on my dogs kibble, and I'm a vet.

I don't buy into the whole "raw must be separate" mumbo jumbo... I think its hokey with no real basis of fact behind it.

And if you mean raw eggs with raw food... the concern is for an enzyme that prevents absorption of an essential vitamin. Cooking denatures this enzyme so its not an issue. As long as you don't feed excessive amounts of raw eggs, it shouldn't be a problem. I'm not sure exactly how long the enzyme is active, or how much of it is required to cause a problem, so I just follow the "everything in moderation" mantra.

Curly_07

Postby Curly_07 » Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:31 am

So its ok to throw a raw egg in everyday? Or should I only do that weekly? Is it helpful/beneficial to have raw eggs?

Thanks for the bit of info MissKiwi!

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Fri Aug 19, 2011 2:19 am

Curly_07 wrote:So its ok to throw a raw egg in everyday? Or should I only do that weekly? Is it helpful/beneficial to have raw eggs?

Thanks for the bit of info MissKiwi!

See there's the stick... I'm pretty sure nobody knows. I wouldn't do raw eggs every day, but I have a technician who raises chickens who feeds her farm dogs raw eggs every other day or so. Not because she is a raw feeder, but because she is overloaded with eggs! No known issues so far...

GoingPostal
Forum Junky

Postby GoingPostal » Fri Aug 19, 2011 8:41 am

I used to throw eggs in the dogs dish a couple times a week whenever we were overloaded with eggs (James's aunt used to have chickens) but it was never on a long term basis. Usually it's once a week or so because we never seem to use up eggs we buy well either.

Savage Destiny
Bully Ambassador

Postby Savage Destiny » Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:11 am

Misskiwi67 wrote:I don't buy into the whole "raw must be separate" mumbo jumbo... I think its hokey with no real basis of fact behind it.

I don't recommend it because it does seem to upset a lot of tummies. I know a lot of people do mix kibble and raw, and there's no danger in it, but a lot of the time it does seem to disagree with the dogs. However, that seems to apply more to raw meat vs. a raw egg... never heard of any issues mixing egg with kibble.

Curly_07

Postby Curly_07 » Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:33 am

Thanks for all of the answers guys/gals! This thread has been very helpful with the very slow transition to raw I'm doing.

lilangel
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby lilangel » Sat Aug 20, 2011 4:12 pm

I'm diggin the direction the thread has taken. Glad to see some have ventured into the world of "alternative" traditional feeding. Guinea pigs... that was my next experiment. Cool. I'm checkin out rodentpro.com to compare prices.

FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF

Postby FBODGRL » Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:27 am

So any suggestions on how often I should offer RMB's for the cats teeth?

Also I need dome guidance on kelp. I'd like to try adding it. Can someone tell me how much a 50ish lb dog should get. Do they sell it in capsules? Can I just give the human grade stuff(assuming there is a human kind)?

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:09 am

FBODGRL wrote:So any suggestions on how often I should offer RMB's for the cats teeth?

Whole prey should be more than adequate for cats teeth. Feral cats always look terrible on the outside but have the nicest teeth.

starrlamia
Addicted to PBF

Postby starrlamia » Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:58 am

FBODGRL wrote:So any suggestions on how often I should offer RMB's for the cats teeth?

Also I need dome guidance on kelp. I'd like to try adding it. Can someone tell me how much a 50ish lb dog should get. Do they sell it in capsules? Can I just give the human grade stuff(assuming there is a human kind)?

i got pet stuff and it came with a scoop, i can look at the directions if you want but it was something like 1/2 tsp a day

Monika
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby Monika » Wed Aug 24, 2011 1:09 pm

Here's my question...

No one has mentioned clean up!!! :wow

I see a lot of the pictures are outside so that's easy but for the people that feed inside how often do you mop? or sanitize your floor? I feed Acana which I'm very happy with but I'd love to start giving RMBs as a treat... I just know my dog won't stay on the towel i put down... I've even thought about giving a RMB to her before I leave for work instead of a kong. I just don't want to come home to a bloody mess...

Any suggestions or thoughts??

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Wed Aug 24, 2011 2:19 pm

I am religious about cleaning surfaces that touched raw meat with chlorox wipes (because I will likely touch it later), but have difficulties knowing what to do with the floors. My entire house is carpeted. I try to feed the raw patties in their dishes, but they invariably carry them to a corner to eat them. They do a good job not making a mess and I figure I don't touch the floor with my hands so I don't worry about it.

Raw meaty bones and anything else that could stain carpets are an outdoor only activity.

Nichole
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby Nichole » Wed Aug 24, 2011 2:37 pm

Our girls eat their raw meals in crates so that makes for easy clean up. Every now andthen I take the blankets out and wash them. The raw meaty bones are a different story, unfortunately. They eat them outside when it's nice but more often it is indoors. Let's just say the carpet cleaner gets heavy use.

Return to “Health Issues”