Feeding Raw

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Re: Feeding Raw

Postby FBODGRL » Fri Oct 07, 2011 3:19 pm

PaigeJ wrote:
FBODGRL wrote:Paigej...did you read through this thread? I posted a spreadsheet several pages back. I have a better on on my pc, but I am not sure when I will be able to get to it. I also posted some links to basic start up information. You really don't have to start organ right in the beginning. I personally wouldn't...coming from the someones whose dog had digestive issues here and there for a while.

Yes I read through the entire thread this afternoon but must have missed your spreadsheet post. I'll look again thanks :nana:

Here is another spreadsheet...http://public.sheet.zoho.com/public/moo ... Ozjg%3D%3D

I actually like this one better and it was what I used when I started Khan, but I couldn't find it when I was starting the cats and posted the other one.
FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF

Postby mommy2kane » Sat Oct 08, 2011 7:22 pm

This was our most recent food run:

160 lbs of chicken quarters ($0.57/lb), 40 lbs of chicken backs ($0.25/lb) and 30 lbs of untrimmed beef heart ($1.06/lb) -- all for $134. Enough to feed 5 dogs for at least one month, sometimes closer to 2 (considering this was purchased 2 months ago). Averaged out to $0.58/lb total.
mommy2kane
Addicted to PBF

Postby PaigeJ » Sat Oct 08, 2011 9:11 pm

OMG that's AWESOME! Do you get your food from grocery stores or a local butcher?
PaigeJ
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby PaigeJ » Sat Oct 08, 2011 9:13 pm

FBODGRL wrote:
PaigeJ wrote:
FBODGRL wrote:Paigej...did you read through this thread? I posted a spreadsheet several pages back. I have a better on on my pc, but I am not sure when I will be able to get to it. I also posted some links to basic start up information. You really don't have to start organ right in the beginning. I personally wouldn't...coming from the someones whose dog had digestive issues here and there for a while.

Yes I read through the entire thread this afternoon but must have missed your spreadsheet post. I'll look again thanks :nana:

Here is another spreadsheet...http://public.sheet.zoho.com/public/moo ... Ozjg%3D%3D

I actually like this one better and it was what I used when I started Khan, but I couldn't find it when I was starting the cats and posted the other one.

Thanks! I used this one today and it looks like Maili needs just over a pound and Annie just under a pound so I've been eyeballing their food and feeding Annie smaller drumsticks and Maili larger ones. They're doing OK so far :thumbsup:
PaigeJ
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby mommy2kane » Sat Oct 08, 2011 9:31 pm

PaigeJ wrote:OMG that's AWESOME! Do you get your food from grocery stores or a local butcher?

The local meat market -- Washington DC. So glad we have this place nearby to get our food from.
mommy2kane
Addicted to PBF

Postby PaigeJ » Sat Oct 08, 2011 9:37 pm

Those are awesome prices! You're very lucky to have a place like that near you. I found an asian supermarket today and was pricing things for the dogs but they had nothing on your prices :bowdown:
PaigeJ
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby FBODGRL » Sun Oct 09, 2011 6:56 pm

Since I am off on a medical leave I think I will use the time to call all the local markets I have been meaning to call and get some prices.
FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF

Postby PaigeJ » Thu Oct 13, 2011 3:28 pm

It's been one week and Maili and Annie are doing good. Annie must have rolled in something outside to get the hives she had earlier this week. They've had solid poops all week and I gave them a small turkey neck with their chicken last night and they still had solid poops so tonight they're getting a full turkey neck dinner. Yay 2nd protein time :peace:

I'm going to switch Charlie over tonight. He's had the most rancid gas all day and since starting raw Maili and Annie's gas has went away. Also Charlie has soft poop everyday. He had a firm one this morning but his 2nd and 3rd movement after were soft as well. I think he could benefit from eating raw I just have to get his portions right.
PaigeJ
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby FBODGRL » Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:51 pm

I officially have 3 out of 4 cats on full raw as of today. 1 has been on full for almost a month I think. I'll be trying more with the hold out kitty once I am healed up from my surgery. I also have started Khan on some chicken and he hasn't seemed to have any allergic reaction to it.
FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF

Postby lilangel » Sat Oct 22, 2011 12:45 pm

MissKitty wrote:For those who are vegetarian/vegan, how do you get over the 'oh my god, body parts :yucky: ' hump?

Hmm. I think compartmentalization, morality, ethics, concern for the environment help us a lot.

My wife and I are both vegetarians and we feed raw. Raw food is real food and since we ourselves don't ever go near fast food or convenience food and pretty much only eat actual food that is grown on actual small local farms; food you have to wash and prepare, we want the same, (or as close to the same as we can afford,) for our dogs. That desire to provide our dogs and ourselves with a highly varied, nutritious and un-artificial, no additive or preservative, zero HFCS, non-GMO lifestyle is enough to motivate us. We figure the amount of meat we don't eat offsets the amount of meat our dogs consume. Yes, we have to buy cheapo meat but that is still real meat that looks like real animal parts just one step removed from the slaughtering floor, not ultra processed 20 steps and various corporations removed and gawd knows what else added. This is a huge and complicated topic.
lilangel
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby addieNmel » Thu Oct 27, 2011 7:11 pm

FBODGRL wrote:I officially have 3 out of 4 cats on full raw as of today. 1 has been on full for almost a month I think. I'll be trying more with the hold out kitty once I am healed up from my surgery. I also have started Khan on some chicken and he hasn't seemed to have any allergic reaction to it.

You're lucky! I have tried to get the cats on raw, no luck. Addie LOVES it, cats refuse it. I heard it takes a lot more persuation with cats.. mine are way too picky and addicted to kibble apparently.

I have so much fun making up Addies dinner - she gets raw meals every few days, other meals are Acana. She licks the bowls clean for several minutes after she eats the raw meals. When I give her a chicken foot, duck neck or other raw meaty bone she 'dances' with it, its quite funny.
addieNmel
Newborn Bully

Postby FBODGRL » Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:52 am

addieNmel wrote:
FBODGRL wrote:I officially have 3 out of 4 cats on full raw as of today. 1 has been on full for almost a month I think. I'll be trying more with the hold out kitty once I am healed up from my surgery. I also have started Khan on some chicken and he hasn't seemed to have any allergic reaction to it.

You're lucky! I have tried to get the cats on raw, no luck. Addie LOVES it, cats refuse it. I heard it takes a lot more persuation with cats.. mine are way too picky and addicted to kibble apparently.

I have so much fun making up Addies dinner - she gets raw meals every few days, other meals are Acana. She licks the bowls clean for several minutes after she eats the raw meals. When I give her a chicken foot, duck neck or other raw meaty bone she 'dances' with it, its quite funny.

Check out this group if you haven't http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/rawcat/ and here http://www.rawfedcats.org/index.htm Both have some good suggestions on transitioning over.

I thought switching them over would take a lot more work than it did. I knew 1 would do it no problem. The other 2 I just put some tuna juice on the meat for 2 meals to get them started (they refused at first so I tried that) and they gobbled it up no problem. After that they ate it fine with no juice and are really excited about it. Before raw they were eating 100% canned food. Strangely I thought my youngest would be the 2nd easiest, but she is the one who is refusing right now.
FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF

Postby kaytenmags » Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:35 pm

it's been one hell of a good hunting season. i love hunters. :inlove:
all my freezers are full, and I gave away a few hundred pounds of moose trim & bones last weekend.
just thought i'd brag a little, because i'm a bitch like that ;) lol
on the flip side, if anyone lives near vancouver BC and feeds raw, shoot me a PM and i'll let you know if i get another big haul before the season's over. :thumbsup:
kaytenmags
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby FBODGRL » Fri Oct 28, 2011 7:56 pm

:(

I got a little of last years venison from a friend and that is it so far. It is only bow season here. I believe rifle season starts next week though. I NEED more venison so hopefully the hunters will do well here!
FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF

Postby MissKitty » Fri Oct 28, 2011 8:23 pm

How does everyone feed their raw?
Outside, inside? How do you keep the areas clean and hygienic?
MissKitty
Pit Bull Forum Addict

PreviousNext

Return to Health Issues