When should i switch 2 adult kibbel ?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

When should i switch 2 adult kibbel ?

Postby si senor » Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:52 pm

I have a five and a half month old pit(47.18 pounds),and some peepz are advising me to switch over to an adult kibbel ....
He is getting: Orijen pup large breed ,...Instinct Tells me i have to wait another 6 months but ....

This is my boy being handsome ,

couldnt leave it :)
si senor
Newborn Bully

Re: When should i switch 2 adult kibbel ?

Postby Amie » Wed Aug 03, 2011 6:26 pm

When your vet tells you to.
Amie
Regulator

Postby starrlamia » Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:04 pm

we waited until a year, but ive heard 8-12 months.
starrlamia
Addicted to PBF

Postby laceybaby » Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:04 pm

I always hear that a year is the switching point. Whenever you do it, make sure to do a slow transition to the new food.
laceybaby
Newborn Bully

Postby si senor » Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:14 am

Amie wrote:When your vet tells you to.

Yeah my vet also recommended Hill's sience plan Dry kibble that was crap also, way to many fibers !

So i should be waiting at least another 6 months ......
si senor
Newborn Bully

Postby Misskiwi67 » Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:13 am

Well, Orijen "Large Breed" isn't even close to meeting the requirements of a large breed puppy food, but thats another topic within itself...

Your pup looks great, and I usually recommend 8-12 months for medium breed dogs. The larger the dog, the longer they take to reach maturity and the longer they should be on puppy food. The larger the dog, the more important to minimize calcium and fat content in the food also for slow and appropriate growth rates.

If you start to have trouble keeping his weight at appropriate levels (slim waistline, want to see the last rib and feel all ribs easily) then switch to adult food to decrease the calories in his food. Otherwise you can keep him on puppy food as long as you want :D
Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby jamielvsaustin » Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:35 am

si senor wrote:Image

Completely off topic-AWESOME PICTURE!
jamielvsaustin
Regulator

Postby jordanberry20 » Thu Aug 04, 2011 4:27 pm

my pup just turned a year June 3 and I switched her food about 2-3 weeks later.
jordanberry20
Newborn Bully

Postby originalg00kster » Thu Aug 11, 2011 5:02 pm

looks like my last dog...but origen pup LARGE breed? this dog is in no way large breed but like the others have said..8-12. 47lbs at 5 months your dog is gonna be a monster...my pup is almost 3 and is tipping 55lb at his heaviest.
originalg00kster
Newborn Bully

Postby si senor » Sat Aug 13, 2011 12:06 pm

Orijen pup large breed ,yeah i know its the only one they have here .but i had a fight with myself about the right nutrition for him ! he told me that ,she told me this ,and they told me everything !

First i was giving him Hills sience plan ,but the grains made em itch like he had some bugs .

Then i gave him a raw diet for a week or 2 but i could see the transformation like THAT ! so my councience was telling me that i had to be carefull for the fast growth of the joints ,so after a research of espacially (us) sites i had to make a choiche between Pro Plan,Eukanuba,Taste of the wild ,Royal Canin and here in holland its quite a hazell to get some proper food .

But i dont think i made a bad choice on this matter i give him a bit less and monday to thursday orijen friday to sunday i give him fresh raw meat .

Going to be big you think? ,he dont look that big .

Like you dog to on the avatar love the chocolate colour !
si senor
Newborn Bully

Postby si senor » Sat Aug 13, 2011 12:11 pm

jamielvsaustin wrote:
si senor wrote:Image

Completely off topic-AWESOME PICTURE!

Thanks i found out how i did it ! when you have a moving object ,i switch the camera on HDR mode and it makes a 2 pictures 1 normal and the other like this . i thought love it !!

This is also off topic :)
si senor
Newborn Bully

Postby Boss*sMom » Sat Aug 13, 2011 12:43 pm

This is off topic sorries- Pitties are not considered large breeds? Just wondering honestly, I have only ever owned little ankle biters. My bostons most call a small breed and I consider them medium?

This I am wondering because my dog is on Simply Nutritious large breed puppy.
Boss*sMom
Super Bully

Postby ProudMommy77 » Sat Aug 13, 2011 12:58 pm

looks like my last dog...but origen pup LARGE breed? this dog is in no way large breed but like the others have said..8-12. 47lbs at 5 months your dog is gonna be a monster...my pup is almost 3 and is tipping 55lb at his heaviest.

He is on the larger side. Dottie will be 2, and tops out at 33-35 pounds.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
ProudMommy77
Forum Junky

Re: Re: When should i switch 2 adult kibbel ?

Postby heartbullies » Sat Aug 13, 2011 1:04 pm

Boss*sMom wrote:This is off topic sorries- Pitties are not considered large breeds? Just wondering honestly, I have only ever owned little ankle biters. My bostons most call a small breed and I consider them medium?

This I am wondering because my dog is on Simply Nutritious large breed puppy.

Yeah, they should be a medium sized and moderately built dog, 35-60 lbs. With the fads, BYBs are happy to change the breed to make $$, whether bigger size or short legs or low-set heads with short necks or certain colors. My dog is about 68 lbs, for example, and is a rescue from the shelter so obviously his breeder was not great.

Anyway, back on topic, some puppy foods actually have the same fat, calories, and protein as some brands of high-grade adult dog kibble. You need to read the labels.

Sent from my ATRIX using Tapatalk
heartbullies
Regulator

Postby merriterrier » Sat Aug 13, 2011 1:08 pm

si senor wrote:
Then i gave him a raw diet for a week or 2 but i could see the transformation like THAT ! so my councience was telling me that i had to be carefull for the fast growth of the joints ,so after a research of espacially (us) sites i had to make a choiche between Pro Plan,Eukanuba,Taste of the wild ,Royal Canin and here in holland its quite a hazell to get some proper food .

If those were the foods I had to choose from (and I was not willing to feed raw) I would use the TOTW. Though I now feed raw, I raised several pups on TOTW and they all developed beautifully. Some of the TOW formulas meet the requirements to be All Life Stages, which means they work well for pups. IMO the best of the choices you mentioned. Pit Bulls are not large breed dogs, and do not need to be on a lg breed formula.
merriterrier
Addicted to PBF

Next

Return to Health Issues