Bil-Jac Dog Food

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
Beowulf
Addicted to PBF

Bil-Jac Dog Food

Postby Beowulf » Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:29 pm

Does anyone know anything about Bil-Jac? I saw on their website that they are calling it a "super premium" food, but it also says corn is better for dogs than rice. My boss feeds it to her Westie and she's convinced that it is a wonder food because it is really expensive. Anyone have any input?

starrlamia
Addicted to PBF

Re: Bil-Jac Dog Food

Postby starrlamia » Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:36 pm

Chicken, Chicken By-Products (organs only, source of arginine), Corn Meal, Chicken By-Product Meal, Dried Beet Pulp, Brewers Dried Yeast, Oatmeal and Flaxseed.

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:26 pm

Beowulf wrote:Does anyone know anything about Bil-Jac? I saw on their website that they are calling it a "super premium" food, but it also says corn is better for dogs than rice. My boss feeds it to her Westie and she's convinced that it is a wonder food because it is really expensive. Anyone have any input?

Corn IS better for dogs than rice... it just happens to be very out of trend right now...

Celesteandthebullies
Addicted to PBF

Postby Celesteandthebullies » Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:35 pm

BrokenAquarian
Addicted to PBF

Postby BrokenAquarian » Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:13 am

Is it whole corn, or some partial corn by-product?
There is a difference. They usually just state "Corn" as the ingredient - but is it really? Is the corn meal whole ground corn?

Beowulf
Addicted to PBF

Postby Beowulf » Fri Aug 05, 2011 6:38 am

KEY INGREDIENTS:
Chicken, Chicken By-Products (organs only, source of arginine), Corn Meal, Chicken By-Product Meal, Dried Beet Pulp, Oatmeal, Whole Yams, Brewers Dried Yeast and Flaxseed.

GUARANTEED ANALYSIS:
Crude Protein, not less than 26.0%
Crude Fat, not less than 15.0%
Crude Fiber, not more than 4.0%
Moisture, not more than 10.0%
Arginine, not less than 1.25%
Leucine, not less than 1.50%
Lysine, not less than 1.10%
Methionine, not less than 0.50%
Omega-6 Fatty Acids, not less than 2.70%*
Omega-3 Fatty Acids, not less than 0.30%*

*Not recognized as an essential nutrient by the AAFCO Dog Food Nutrient Profiles
Available only through Bil-Jac® pet professionals. (Not available at grocery stores.) Manufactired by/Fabriqué par Kelly Foods Corp., Berlin, MD. 21811. Made in the USA/ Fabriqué aux États-Unis.

Beowulf
Addicted to PBF

Postby Beowulf » Fri Aug 05, 2011 6:39 am

This is the puppy formula that she's feeding.

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:28 am

Celesteandthebullies wrote:http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-food-reviews/bil-jac-dog-food/

I could go ON and ON about all the mistakes in that rating...

By-products may be unfit for human consumption, but are more often than not MORE nutritious than chicken meat alone.

Corn "may" be linked to food allergies, but is 4th on the list of the top 5... two spots behind chicken! And of course yeast, which can also cause allergies, is not bad because it can cause allergies, its just mentioned to mention it.

Oh NO! there's no probiotics, how could they?????!!!!!

Really people? This gives a food a 2 star rating? This food seems simple, possibly a little high on the grains, but I don't see anything wrong with it.

Could she do better for the money? Possibly... but the real question is, how does her dog look?

Beowulf
Addicted to PBF

Postby Beowulf » Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:08 am

The dog looks good. And has been known to have some allergy problems, and isn't on this food. The only problem is that the dog no longer likes the food so she has to put wet food with it just to get it to eat it.

starrlamia
Addicted to PBF

Postby starrlamia » Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:48 am

Misskiwi67 wrote:
Celesteandthebullies wrote:http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-food-reviews/bil-jac-dog-food/

I could go ON and ON about all the mistakes in that rating...

By-products may be unfit for human consumption, but are more often than not MORE nutritious than chicken meat alone.

Corn "may" be linked to food allergies, but is 4th on the list of the top 5... two spots behind chicken! And of course yeast, which can also cause allergies, is not bad because it can cause allergies, its just mentioned to mention it.

Oh NO! there's no probiotics, how could they?????!!!!!

Really people? This gives a food a 2 star rating? This food seems simple, possibly a little high on the grains, but I don't see anything wrong with it.

Could she do better for the money? Possibly... but the real question is, how does her dog look?

:goodpost:

misskiwi can you explain how corn is more nutritious then rice?

haircrazie016
Bully Ambassador

Postby haircrazie016 » Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:52 am

my dog Paige came to me on that food, and was a hot mess. She had terrible tear staining which I am told was a result of the beet pulp. And she was red and itchy head to toe, not to mention fat.

My vet called the food "junk food for dogs" He said lots of dogs love it but there were much better foods out there... I ended up trying grain free kibble with her and the allergy and tear stain issues went away.

doglove
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby doglove » Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:02 pm

Miss Kiwi do you have any canine nutrition specific training beyond the minimum vet school requirements to graduate? I've seen you talk about nutrition a lot, but you never say how you got to know these things.

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:50 pm

doglove wrote:Miss Kiwi do you have any canine nutrition specific training beyond the minimum vet school requirements to graduate? I've seen you talk about nutrition a lot, but you never say how you got to know these things.

I took additional non-required coursework during vet school, and I continue to take every possible continuing education course available to me.

The majority of my continuing education is specific to certain diseases, like renal failure, pancreatitis, IBD, allergies and the like.

What you read on the 'net is not at all what I learn at my education courses. I try to find the happy medium between the facts and the hype where the real world and real animals live. Therefore, my opinions will vary from the online norm.

The sad part about foods is there is NO way to know if Bil-Jacs chicken ingredients are quality or crap. Crap chicken gets the same label as quality chicken. This applies to ALL foods, not just premiums. The reason many dogs do well on high-grain foods like Science Diet is because the ingredients are quality, every time. Maybe not the ingredients you'd choose to feed, but the corn is top quality, and the chicken is top quality. There are tons of articles out there that say science diet kills dogs, but the 15 year Purina Study, one of the best nutrition studies ever performed, was done on purina dog chow, a food I wouldn't choose to feed unless I was homeless.

The only way to know if the food is good for your dog is to feed the food and see if it works for your dog.

ProudMommy77
Forum Junky

Postby ProudMommy77 » Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:55 pm

it's interesting, because all of the local vets around here are no longer or discontinuing carrying Science Diet, and replacing it with high end foods like Blue Buffalo. Apparently they all agree also, that Science Diet is crap. :thumbsup:

WackyJacki
Addicted to PBF

Postby WackyJacki » Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:55 pm

I've seen dogs that look fine on Ol' Roy. I also have a husband that could eat McD's all day and not gain a pound. Does this mean that any of this is good for optimum health? No.

Corn is used in pet food because it's a cheap filler. Is it species appropriate? No. Nor is rice.

Kibble isn't species appropriate, but some are better than others, and Bil-Jac wouldn't be on my list for any dog.

Return to “Health Issues”