Bil-Jac Dog Food

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
WackyJacki
Addicted to PBF

Re: Bil-Jac Dog Food

Postby WackyJacki » Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:59 pm

Well now wait a minute. Is there NO way of knowing if the ingredients are top quality in ANY of the foods, or is it just Science Diet that you know uses top quality ingredients?

Not trying to be argumentative, but you've contradicted yourself and I want to understand what you mean exactly.

Adrianne

Bil-Jac Dog Food

Postby Adrianne » Fri Aug 05, 2011 2:15 pm

My vet highly endorses Kirkland and Blue buffalo. They have SD in the lobby but I've never heard it encouraged except when the dogs are medically needing for something like a/d etc.

Adrianne

Bil-Jac Dog Food

Postby Adrianne » Fri Aug 05, 2011 2:17 pm

Sorry, as for Bil Jac I've looked into it but decided against it. We do have some bags of it we use as treats at work, like iams too.

starrlamia
Addicted to PBF

Postby starrlamia » Fri Aug 05, 2011 3:31 pm

WackyJacki wrote:Well now wait a minute. Is there NO way of knowing if the ingredients are top quality in ANY of the foods, or is it just Science Diet that you know uses top quality ingredients?

Not trying to be argumentative, but you've contradicted yourself and I want to understand what you mean exactly.

i think it's a matter of researching the company, see where they source their meats.

The thing is that sites like dog food analysis are good to start your education but they are not the be all and end all. Like anything else on the internet you need to read things critically, some thinks are junk, some things are gold and some things contain both. Vets may not get much training on nutrition, but even that small course is still more then most people know on the required diets of dogs. While I dont always agree with misskiwi I have learned a ton from her on nutrition and she does know what she is talking about. Whether we agree on which foods are best you can still learn critical thinking skills :)

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Fri Aug 05, 2011 5:01 pm

ProudMommy77 wrote:it's interesting, because all of the local vets around here are no longer or discontinuing carrying Science Diet, and replacing it with high end foods like Blue Buffalo. Apparently they all agree also, that Science Diet is crap. :thumbsup:

When Blue Buffalo starts making kidney diet with studies to back it, I will start carrying it also. Whole ingredients are better than fractionated ones. I almost always push Royal Canin over the others... but this does NOT mean they are killing dogs. I see lots of dogs every day doing well on Iams and Science Diet. I don't recommend it, I don't feed it, but I don't discourage it either.

I will never sell retail foods in my clinic, we have a pharmacy, not a pet store.

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Fri Aug 05, 2011 5:06 pm

WackyJacki wrote:Well now wait a minute. Is there NO way of knowing if the ingredients are top quality in ANY of the foods, or is it just Science Diet that you know uses top quality ingredients?

There is no way for laypersons to know, you don't get invited to facility tours, or do you?

I know the quality control processes used by Science Diet. They are rigorous in their testing... you don't find that with regular foods. You find more whole ingredients with regular foods... someday I hope there will be a food with both. Naturapet was on their way until they got bought out, I would imagine they have the same strict quality regulation.

Many smaller brands will brag about the variability in color etc between batches of foods as part of the natural process, and in many cases this is fine. You don't find these inconsistencies with a company with strict quality controls because they don't have to take whatever product happens to be available at that time of year, they take what meets their requirements and nothing less. Science Diet will test a truckload of corn before it enters the plant for aflatoxin. I bet diamond does now too, but wouldn't it have been nice if they started out that way?

WackyJacki
Addicted to PBF

Postby WackyJacki » Fri Aug 05, 2011 5:18 pm

Have you been invited to tour all the facilities, so that you can definitively say that only the Hills company has great quality control?

Ultimately, dried up nuggets aren't the ideal food for any animal.

WackyJacki
Addicted to PBF

Postby WackyJacki » Fri Aug 05, 2011 5:20 pm

And starr, I'm quite fond of my critical thinking skills, hence why I don't take any one thing as gospel, regardless of who/where it comes from. ;)

starrlamia
Addicted to PBF

Postby starrlamia » Fri Aug 05, 2011 5:29 pm

WackyJacki wrote:And starr, I'm quite fond of my critical thinking skills, hence why I don't take any one thing as gospel, regardless of who/where it comes from. ;)

I didnt mean you specifically :P

AllisonPitbullLvr

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Fri Aug 05, 2011 7:54 pm

doglove wrote:Miss Kiwi do you have any canine nutrition specific training beyond the minimum vet school requirements to graduate? I've seen you talk about nutrition a lot, but you never say how you got to know these things.

Alot of people of this forum talk about nutrition alot. There are whole threads on people advising how to feed RAW. What type of canine nutrition specific training have these people acquired?

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:19 pm

WackyJacki wrote:Have you been invited to tour all the facilities, so that you can definitively say that only the Hills company has great quality control?

I have been invited, but did not make the trip to see the facility in person. It was part of our nutrition course. I did, however, watch videos of science diet plant, and another plant that produced canned goods in our class. My class was NOT sponsored by science diet, and that was the one and only time the brand was even mentioned outside of the label reading laboratory. As a completely different activity not related to nutrition class, I also saw extensive materials on the naturapet facility, and a friend of mine toured their facility personally as part of her training to be a naturapet student representative.

I cannot tell you what other companies definitely do or do not do, but I can say the science diet went above and beyond what I could have possibly even imagined for quality control.

I can tell you for sure that it is unlikely any of the small holistic companies come even close if they produce the food in their own facility.

Adrianne

Bil-Jac Dog Food

Postby Adrianne » Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:48 pm

AllisonPibbleLvr wrote:
doglove wrote:Miss Kiwi do you have any canine nutrition specific training beyond the minimum vet school requirements to graduate? I've seen you talk about nutrition a lot, but you never say how you got to know these things.

Alot of people of this forum talk about nutrition alot. There are whole threads on people advising how to feed RAW. What type of canine nutrition specific training have these people acquired?

Eh, not everyone gives the air of expertise. When one eludes to a grandeur science than the next, questions are to be expected and respected.

Celesteandthebullies
Addicted to PBF

Postby Celesteandthebullies » Sat Aug 06, 2011 2:08 am

Thanks for the info y'all.. my keyboard is really being a pain so I'll refrain from a longer message.

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Sat Aug 06, 2011 6:34 am

Adrianne wrote:
AllisonPibbleLvr wrote:

Eh, not everyone gives the air of expertise. When one eludes to a grandeur science than the next, questions are to be expected and respected.

And the question was asked much more respectfully than many times before :D

Return to “Health Issues”