Vomiting, staggering, lethary--and my husband waits 12 hours

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Postby tiva » Sat Aug 06, 2011 1:40 pm

My husband just called me to tell me that 15 hours ago, our Vanya (who is staying down at the farm with Frank, my husband) started vomiting and staggering. This was after he ran outside and treed a stray cat who had come onto the farm (so he was very excited). Frank got him to come back to the house with 1/2 cup of his kibble, and soon the vomiting started. Vanya threw up 6 hours through the night and seemed in pain, a little bloated, limping, lethargic. (He will drink water, eat cheese, and eat kibble now, Frank told me, and his bloat has gone down, and he can walk, and his gum color is pink....but he still seems like a sick dog in pain)

So Frank FINALLY calls me, at 1 pm, to tell me all this. I tell him to call the vet right away (the vet will take emergencies until 3 pm on Saturday, so we have 2 more hours. After that we have to use the emergency vet, who is an hour away and has a terrible reputation).

Now I'm waiting to hear back. I'm terrified this might be: bloat, obstruction, pancreatis, a tick-borne disease, poisoning from something on the farm....

Will someone PLEASE tell me why a guy would wait 15 hours before letting the vet or his wife know? Frank loves Vanya with all his heart, but boy, his judgement sure is bizarre at times. (We have PetPlan for Vanya, so it's not the cost of an emergency vet visit either...).

Wish us luck, please.
tiva
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Re: Vomiting, staggering, lethary--and my husband waits 12 h

Postby patty » Sat Aug 06, 2011 1:52 pm

Thinking of you and Vanya! I just went through a situation with bloat. My SO told me just wait a couple of days she will feel better. NOT!

Please let us know what the vet says.
patty
Forum Junky

Postby julie64 » Sat Aug 06, 2011 2:03 pm

Lots of good thoughts coming to you and Vanya.
julie64
Addicted to PBF

Postby Enamorada » Sat Aug 06, 2011 2:06 pm

Oh no...how scary. Fingers crossed Vanya recovers quickly!
Enamorada
Super Bully

Postby mtlu » Sat Aug 06, 2011 2:14 pm

Sending good thoughts for Vanya and for you.
FWIW, my boyfriend and your husband might share a brain :stick
mtlu
Addicted to PBF

Postby PitbullLover* » Sat Aug 06, 2011 2:19 pm

Have my fingers crossed and send some prayers to you and Vanya poor baby. Alot of men seem to wait longer then us woman to bring the dog to the vet asap.
PitbullLover*
Super Bully

Postby tiva » Sat Aug 06, 2011 3:15 pm

Vanya is finally at the vet! Thank heavens. I don't yet have any news, but I asked Frank to make sure the vet does an abdominal x-ray and a blood panel, including tests for tick-borne diseases (V is on frontline, but ticks are abundant here all the same). It's very frustrating being 6 hours away.
tiva
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby tiva » Sat Aug 06, 2011 3:21 pm

Update: all seems fine.

Frank got to the vet, and Vanya started bouncing around, jumping, screeching (as he always does in new places where there are other dogs). The vet (not our usual vet) took one look as Vanya tried to climb into her lap for kisses, wiggling as hard as ever, and she said "oh, there can't be anything wrong with him."

But she doesn't know pitties--Vanya could be on his death bed and he'd still be bouncing off the walls with excitement at the vet's office. He LOVES vets.

So Frank insisted that the vet do a full blood panel, check for tick-borne diseases, and take an abdominal x-ray. Yah, Frank! The blood panel was fine, no sign of tick diseases, and his stomach was VERY full of something, but there were digestive sounds and signs that things were moving along through, so the vet sent them home.

Next question, of course, is what did Vanya get into? When I'm at the farm, I make sure everything is put away and locked up. For some reason, Frank and his farm helpers can't seem to remember to do that with the chicken feed, scratch grains, and garbage.
tiva
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby Nichole » Sat Aug 06, 2011 4:26 pm

I *really* feel your pain. I have a husband and his judgement - I swear to god - one day it's going to be the death of me, him, or the dogs. I won't go into it but i REALLY feel your pain! lol

I am glad she's acting better - but hopefully she starts to actually feel better soon too
Nichole
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby Stormi » Sat Aug 06, 2011 5:52 pm

Nichole wrote:I *really* feel your pain. I have a husband and his judgement - I swear to god - one day it's going to be the death of me, him, or the dogs. I won't go into it but i REALLY feel your pain! lol

I second this motion. Mine is still convinced I'm crazy and "seeing things" over Jacks very very obvious arthritis issues. I swear husbands can be so oblivious sometimes...
Stormi
Addicted to PBF

Postby FBODGRL » Sat Aug 06, 2011 8:04 pm

Don't you absolutely love when they are acting like they are on deaths door at home and you take them to the vet and they are bouncing around like happy goof balls roflmao

I had worked midnights and came home in the morning to piles of vomit everywhere. As I was trying to clean it up Khan was puking more. He seemed really lethargic and out of it. I rushed him into the vet as soon as they opened (like a 1/2 hr later) and of course we walked in the door and he was acting like a hyper, happy goof ball!

Hope he is OK and he didn't get into anything too bad!
FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF

Postby patty » Sat Aug 06, 2011 8:34 pm

How is Vanya now? Glad to hear nothing too serious.
patty
Forum Junky

Postby Sarah » Sat Aug 06, 2011 8:52 pm

I'm glad Vanya is feeling better. I would not go by how a dog acts at the vet. When Tess had her kidney infection, she seemed normal to the vet who first saw her. I knew she was a little subdued, but honestly, she was just acting like a normal dog. She wound up hospitalized for 3 days. The adrenaline when they are at the vet makes them act better than they are.
Sarah
Dabbling Dog Coddler

Postby Apbt4life » Sat Aug 06, 2011 10:28 pm

hope my wife doesnt talk about me behind my back the way you girls are talking about your bf's and husbands lol...
Apbt4life
Matured Bully

Postby PitBull-Lady » Sat Aug 06, 2011 10:47 pm

mtlu wrote:Sending good thoughts for Vanya and for you.
FWIW, my boyfriend and your husband might share a brain :stick

Nichole wrote:I *really* feel your pain. I have a husband and his judgement - I swear to god - one day it's going to be the death of me, him, or the dogs. I won't go into it but i REALLY feel your pain! lol

I am glad she's acting better - but hopefully she starts to actually feel better soon too

Stormi wrote:I second this motion. Mine is still convinced I'm crazy and "seeing things" over Jacks very very obvious arthritis issues. I swear husbands can be so oblivious sometimes...

lol lol lol I would so die laughing right now, but my husband is next to me. lol lol lol
I swear he can NOT see the bleeding toe nail -or- the infected scratch -or- even the slightest lack of energy -or- the fact that a dog peed in a crate. But, I love him just the same.

I'm GLAD Vanya is doing well. Please keep us up to date. I kind of look for the things he does as things I expect in Capone. lol So this will surely be one of those stories you tell about that sweet knucklehead. "Remember that time Vanya ate... don't you ever let him get into that again!"

lol knucklehead = husband lol
PitBull-Lady
Addicted to PBF

Next

Return to Health Issues