Allergic to Bees **Advice???

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Allergic to Bees **Advice???

Postby tmherrera » Sat Aug 13, 2011 10:19 am

I spent most of the night in the Animal Urgent Care last night for Peaches. She was playing with Pinto outside before I brought them in. Slowly I noticed her eyes puffing up and she started to break out in hives. Once she really started breaking out (10-15 minutes) I decided to get her in. :crybaby: I wasn't going to risk her not being able to breathe or having seizures since I didn't know what happened or that she was allergic. Half way down the road I looked at her and her whole face had puffed up! She looked like a shar-pei!! Once I took her in they gave her 2 shots. One antihistamine for the reaction and a steroid for the swelling. They also found the stinger in her lip. lol After waiting a couple hours for the swelling to go down, and paying $235, we were allowed to take her home as long as we kept an eye on her all night and gave her benadryl every 8 hours for 3 days.

What are your suggestions for keeping this from happening again??

Can I try to prevent going into the vet for this reaction?? (They told me to use benadryl first and if nothing happens in 30 minutes take her in.)

What can I use to keep the bees away from my home?? (They are everywhere right now!)

What are some good repellants I can keep on Peaches during this bee season??

(I went just outside my door and there is a bee sitting there. I ran into our neighbor while taking the dogs out and he said he found a nest just outside our home. But that they are nesting everywhere right now. I know I can't get rid of the bees but I would like to let her go outside. Maybe this won't be an option for awhile unless she is on a leash where I can watch her.)

Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
User avatar
tmherrera
Newborn Bully
 
Posts: 159
Joined: Thu May 26, 2011 7:21 pm

Re: Allergic to Bees **Advice???

Postby starrlamia » Sat Aug 13, 2011 12:28 pm

no advice but poor pup!!
User avatar
starrlamia
Addicted to PBF
 
Posts: 7393
Joined: Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:59 pm
Location: Canada

Re: Allergic to Bees **Advice???

Postby kagnew » Sat Aug 13, 2011 12:43 pm

Poor baby!!!

I have not researched this - for this particular application - just throwing it out there quickly for you to perhaps do some googling and I will as well.

Spirulina works great as an antihistamine. Lots of horses that have upper respiratory issues as well as breakouts, hives from insect bites have had great relief when it's included in feed. (There have been studies as well, according to my vet who suggested it for my gelding's COPD.) It's simply good for them as well, so it definitely falls into the "can't hurt" category. Now - whether or not it is appropriate for dogs for this purpose, I don't know, but there are spirulina supplements for dogs so...

Again - I have nothing to back this up for dogs so you'll have to do some research. Also, it's not an immediate fix - it would be a possible preventative/support. Lots of people with horses swear by it for hivey horses. Springtime is one company that springs to mind that I know has formulas for dogs. Worth a look-see.

Good luck!
kathy
User avatar
kagnew
Newborn Bully
 
Posts: 161
Joined: Sat Jun 11, 2011 3:53 pm
Location: Ontario, Canada

Re: Allergic to Bees **Advice???

Postby FBODGRL » Sat Aug 13, 2011 3:37 pm

Are you sure you have no hives around your house? They can get into very small cracks. Watch where the bees fly to.

I just had an exterminator out for bees yesterday (I'm allergic) cost a pretty penny, but my bee problems should be gone now. Obviously you can't eliminate them all, but getting rid of the nest cuts down on the population. They sell different type of trap type things that are poison free at home depot and hardware stores. I'm not sure how good they work. I bought some, but then realized I had a bigger problem and it wasn't worth the risk.
User avatar
FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF
 
Posts: 10741
Joined: Sat Jul 23, 2005 2:33 pm
Location: Eastpointe, MI

Re: Allergic to Bees **Advice???

Postby tiva » Sun Aug 14, 2011 1:53 pm

Poor thing!

Yes, certainly follow your vet's advice: at the very first moment she gets stung again, give her the dose of benadryl they recommended to you. It may not prevent the need for a vet visit, but it can certainly reduce the reaction enormously IF you get her the benadryl right away. Then remove the stinger--that will also remove the reaction.

My husband is a beekeeper, and this is standard advice for people as well.
User avatar
tiva
Pit Bull Forum Addict
 
Posts: 1726
Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2008 8:49 pm

Re: Allergic to Bees **Advice???

Postby tiva » Sun Aug 14, 2011 2:02 pm

You can also try "bee safe" which is mostly peppermint oil: http://blossomland.com/beesafeinsectrepellent.aspx

I have no idea if it works! But it's sold by a reputable beekeeping company, and they tend to only sell stuff which does work well.
User avatar
tiva
Pit Bull Forum Addict
 
Posts: 1726
Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2008 8:49 pm


Return to Health Issues

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider] and 3 guests