Raw For Training Treats?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Re: Raw For Training Treats?

Postby MissKitty » Thu Aug 18, 2011 3:58 pm

1lila1 wrote:
MissKitty wrote:I use Freshpet Vital Dog Food, it is a refrigerated roll that I cute into tiny cubes. Apollo would spit out a hotdog for the stuff.

I've seen those in the grocery store. I'll sometimes use the Natural Balance rolls cut up into small pieces. Goona have to try this though. Are they hard like the NB ones? I figured they'd be too squishy to cut up as treats.

They are squishy and wet but cut up nicely and keep their shape pretty well. Apollo wasn't a big fan of the Natural Balance rolls, I think they were too dry. He likes his treats moist lol
They need to be in a plastic bag though, not a treat for pockets.
MissKitty
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby ewwies » Wed Aug 31, 2011 5:24 pm

MissKitty wrote:
1lila1 wrote:
MissKitty wrote:I use Freshpet Vital Dog Food, it is a refrigerated roll that I cute into tiny cubes. Apollo would spit out a hotdog for the stuff.

I've seen those in the grocery store. I'll sometimes use the Natural Balance rolls cut up into small pieces. Goona have to try this though. Are they hard like the NB ones? I figured they'd be too squishy to cut up as treats.

They are squishy and wet but cut up nicely and keep their shape pretty well. Apollo wasn't a big fan of the Natural Balance rolls, I think they were too dry. He likes his treats moist lol

I was using Natural Balance rolls for training treats, but after reading that the 3rd ingredient is sugar I started searching around. FreshPet has good ingredients, and for $15 I think its a good buy :)

Ingredients:
Fresh Chicken, Eggs, Chicken Liver, Chicken Broth, Carrots, Brown Rice, Peas, Rice Bran, Dried Kelp, Carrageenan, Natural Flavors, Salt, Inulin, Flaxseed Oil, Green Tea Extract.

Vitamins:
Choline Chloride, Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin, Calcium Pantothenate, Biotin, Riboflavin Supplement, Thiamine Mononitrate, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Folic Acid.

Minerals:
Calcium Carbonate, Zinc Proteinate, Iron Proteinate, Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Oxide, Copper Proteinate, Copper Sulfate, Manganese Proteinate, Manganous Oxide, Calcium Iodate, Sodium Selenite.

It looks like a giant hot dog. lol I get to test them out tonight. Hoping these will work better than NB!

ewwies
Addicted to PBF

Postby Celesteandthebullies » Wed Aug 31, 2011 6:24 pm

I think I saw some of those at a small pet store I checked out the other day. I didn't have any money on me though (brought Dakota in to work on his CGC). I'll go back and get some when I get some extra bucks. We still have a lot of the Pet Botanics left.
Celesteandthebullies
Addicted to PBF

Postby Adrianne » Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:24 pm

I was thinking of this thread today at work. I watched a ring rental client run agility then sit down, put on a plastic glove, reach in her plastic baggy and feed her dog what appeared to be raw ground beef.

I guess you weren't the only one with this idea after all. :tongue:
Adrianne
Regulator

Postby MarMar » Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:39 pm

I do know some raw feeders who feed raw meat as treats..me personally I wouldn't do it, yup raw meat icks me out a bit (I think it's awesome for dogs tho!) If you had raw meat however, you could always bake it into tiny meatballs, I bet dogs would go crazy for that. Other treats I use include a lot of human food (for special occasions only): cheddar cheese, string cheese (those are Marlo's nail-trimming goodies), tiny pieces of deli meat, pet pepperoni sticks sliced tiny, roasted chicken bits, cooked beef or steak, and of course hot dogs and food rolls. The nice thing is that if you have a whole bag of mixed stinky treats you can toss some kibble in there too to "dilute" the other treats a bit and often the dog will take those as rewards. Celeste, do you have a food tube? You can put wet food or pate or other extremely stinky things in there...safer than raw and cleaner!
MarMar
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby MissKitty » Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:45 pm

ewwies wrote:
MissKitty wrote:
1lila1 wrote:

I was using Natural Balance rolls for training treats, but after reading that the 3rd ingredient is sugar I started searching around. FreshPet has good ingredients, and for $15 I think its a good buy :)

Ingredients:
Fresh Chicken, Eggs, Chicken Liver, Chicken Broth, Carrots, Brown Rice, Peas, Rice Bran, Dried Kelp, Carrageenan, Natural Flavors, Salt, Inulin, Flaxseed Oil, Green Tea Extract.

Vitamins:
Choline Chloride, Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin, Calcium Pantothenate, Biotin, Riboflavin Supplement, Thiamine Mononitrate, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Folic Acid.

Minerals:
Calcium Carbonate, Zinc Proteinate, Iron Proteinate, Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Oxide, Copper Proteinate, Copper Sulfate, Manganese Proteinate, Manganous Oxide, Calcium Iodate, Sodium Selenite.

It looks like a giant hot dog. lol I get to test them out tonight. Hoping these will work better than NB!

They work really well if you pop them in the freezer for 20 minutes or so before you use them, I found. Then they are not so squishy.
MissKitty
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Previous

Return to Health Issues