anal glands infection

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Re: anal glands infection

Postby jamielvsaustin » Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:11 am

Good luck today, I wish you guys nothing but good news!
jamielvsaustin
Regulator

Postby PitbullLover* » Tue Aug 23, 2011 3:05 pm

So we are back and i'm happy yet sad the diagnosis is severe perianal fistulas. She has two ''active'' fistuls, she's now sedated and laying in my livingroom. She had metacam and it will work for 48 hours, i've been send home with two different types of antibiotics one is clavubactin 500 the other one also clavubactin 50/? Other then that my vet suggested to start on cyclosporine (immune suppressor) which he will get for me tomorrow the stuff is so expensive not normal.. :wow I think the its called Atopica. the vet suggested to use it atleast a good month or two. After that we will see if quitting is possible, because this drug is not without serious sideaffects, and extremely expensive. She's also switched too hypoallergenic food named, sanimed duck/rice. I also got instructions to wash her anus with ''dettol'' or ''green soap'' but also ''betadine'' whichever i find most handy and that has to be done twice a day. If she is not watched and during the nights she will always have to wear a e-collar, so she will leave her butt alone. I also go the bloodtest done, which i will get results from tomorrow. The vet wanted this problem ''solved'' or under control first before we get started on finding out why dana is always so sick in her stomach, but almost all problems are from these fistuls...which is a immune problem, most likely dana is allergic to herself, or her immunesystem attacks herself... She also has a severe problem with bad bacteria in her intestines...which is why antibiotics worked.

Misskiwi67 wrote:It could very well be perianal fistulas too, that would fit the symptoms as well, and the treatment is steroids so don't turn your nose up at them (you said you wouldn't walk away with that as a treatment, it IS the treatment). It will actually take LOTS of steroids, for life. Sometimes you can control it with other medications long-term (azathioprine and cyclosporine), but the first 2-3 months require high doses of steroids while the other medications take effect. This is another very common disease in German Shepherds.

I hope your vet visit is enlightening and you get some answers.

First I want to thank you for all the good information you've given me I really appreciate it and so does my girl (dana). ;) I will look up azathioprine and ask my vet tomorrow on the telephone if this is an option to give to her and if the sideaffects are not as severe as cyclosporine. Its true its sadly another common disease in german shepards...my vet has treated another dog at the clinic who's also a german shepard. I've also seen on the internet some use prednisolon.
PitbullLover*
Super Bully

Postby Misskiwi67 » Tue Aug 23, 2011 6:04 pm

Of the three medications the cyclosporine has the least amount of side effects and is the most effective for this disease. It will take a minimum of 4-6 weeks to see improvement with cyclosporine alone.

I prefer to use steroids in the short term until the other medications start to work too hoping for a quicker response, but your vet may have had different experiences than me, its not wrong to do cyclosporine alone.

http://www.VeterinaryPartner.com/Conten ... C=0&A=3061
Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby PitbullLover* » Wed Aug 24, 2011 5:34 am

Well i'm one night further and haven't slept for most of the night, dana was barking and barking and very active, she tried to get to her butt but because of the e collar that was not possible. Because she barked so much i had her in my bedroom which i already have my other dog pitbull/border collie mix freckles she usually walks around in my locked bedroom but had to be crated which she did not really like. This morning she could poop instantly, and she seemed to be very pleased about it. Later today i will call the vet and tell him how the night went, i hope he can provide me with some more painkillers for dana so we can all sleep. lol I will also get the prescribed Atopica from the clinic and start her on it immediately. 4/6 weeks does not sound bad at all, just hope she will react to it. On the internet i also found some homeopathic remedies, which i might try if the atopica etc. does not work.... this is such a horrible disease :crybaby:
PitbullLover*
Super Bully

Previous

Return to Health Issues