Not drinking

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Not drinking

Postby Meg&MarcyPB » Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:51 am

Marcy and I went out for a run this morning (4 miles). When we got back, she jumped right onto the couch and fell asleep. I got ready for work and did my normal stuff thinking that she would drink and eat while I was getting ready-but she did not. Marcy laid on the couch and slept.

I moved the water bowl and food dish over by her-but she still did not drink or eat anything. Should I be concerned? We had a very busy and high energy weekend and she ate and drank fine all weekend. Could she just be really tired? I am hoping that when I get home from work and take her out of her crate that she will drink and eat-but I wanted to see what others thought about this!
Meg&MarcyPB
Newborn Bully

Re: Not drinking

Postby trexgorawrrrrr » Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:25 pm

Does she have food on a schedule, like eating morning/night... or is she free fed? I'm asking because if I offered my dog his food, and he didn't eat it - I would know something was wrong. Neither of our dogs are free fed, and if they didn't eat in the am/pm I'd be worried.

If she has food avaliable all the time, I probably wouldn't think too much of it.

As far as the water goes, I would keep an eye on her. If she's not acting herself, or if she continues to not drink I'd take her in. She could have gotten a drink while you wern't looking.
trexgorawrrrrr
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby Meg&MarcyPB » Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:31 pm

She is on a food schedule. I feed her in the morning and when I get home from work. She normally does not eat or just eats a little bit in the morning-so the food I was not concerned about. It was more of the not drinking water.
Meg&MarcyPB
Newborn Bully

Postby trexgorawrrrrr » Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:51 pm

Well you just need to listen to your instincts, you know your dog best.

If my dog was acting normal besides me not seeing him drink, then I probably would just keep a close eye on him. If she starts acting lethargic or not herself, take her in.
trexgorawrrrrr
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby nic » Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:17 pm

Personally I think if the dog is well in itself and acting normally I wouldn't worry about when they drink.
I have seen too many owners make the dog have a 'thing' about the water bowl by them keep trying to make the dog drink when it doesn't want/need to.
Don't forget we drink recreationally,we may fancy a drink of 'x',and not really need a drink,or even be drinking something which will truely hydrate us.Dogs drink when they need to.
nic
Forum Junky

Postby FBODGRL » Mon Aug 22, 2011 2:44 pm

Also keep in mind that they should not be eating immediately before or after exercise ;)
FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF

Postby Meg&MarcyPB » Mon Aug 22, 2011 3:06 pm

Thanks everyone :)
Meg&MarcyPB
Newborn Bully

Return to Health Issues