Need help putting weight on Kahne

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Need help putting weight on Kahne

Postby Kahne131 » Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:17 am

Kahne is a year and a half now and I have been trying to put weight on him for awhile now with no luck. He eats go! natural Salmon and oatmeal and the honest kitchen Zeal (its a dehydrated raw diet). Kahne has allergies to what seems like everything besides Fish and elk. I would feed raw but I really cant afford raw fish and elk right now. I was wondering if anyone had any tips to putting weight on dogs I would like to get at least 5lbs on him.
Kahne131
Matured Bully

Re: Need help putting weight on Kahne

Postby Curly_07 » Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:19 am

If the pictures I looked at yesterday are recent, I think he looks good. He isn't scrawny and he had some muscle definition.

I don't really have any suggestions for you on weight gain in his situation. I've had to put weight on tons of fosters, but you wouldn't be able to or want to feed him those things...mostly because of his allergies and the quality of the food.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk
Curly_07
Regulator

Postby IloveBlu » Wed Aug 24, 2011 6:38 pm

Blu eats Go! Salmon & Oats too! Do you order it online?

Anyway, we too are allergic to everything but salmon. I add a tablespoon of Wellness 95% (rest is water) Salmon canned. Maybe you could try that? It's just salmon....

Blu was too skinny for me on other foods, but he's doing great with this one. How much are you feeding?
IloveBlu
Matured Bully

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:11 pm

I think Kahne looks good in the other thread you posted but maybe a view from the top and one from the side could help determine if he actually needs to gain weight.
AllisonPitbullLvr
Regulator

Postby Kahne131 » Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:17 pm

IloveBlu wrote:Blu eats Go! Salmon & Oats too! Do you order it online?

Anyway, we too are allergic to everything but salmon. I add a tablespoon of Wellness 95% (rest is water) Salmon canned. Maybe you could try that? It's just salmon....

Blu was too skinny for me on other foods, but he's doing great with this one. How much are you feeding?

I buy it from my work its a great food and it has helped but weight in him a little He is eating 3 cups of Go in the AM and 3 cups of GO and 1 cup of the honest kitchen in th PM (after that he doesnt want to eat much more) but hes still to skinny in my eyes you can see his ribs and his spin allot of the time which is why i would like to put like 5 pound on him. I will look into the welness thanks!

Maybe he is the right wieght but I seem to be getting allot of comments on how skinny he is but maybe people are just to use to seeing over weight dogs roflmao

Sorry the pics are not great just took them really fast and I just noticed Kahne bleands in with the kitchen floor :)

Any input would be great! thanks!
Kahne131
Matured Bully

Postby Curly_07 » Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:31 pm

Honestly, he looks fine to me. His spine is like that because he has a roach back. One of my girls is just like him. He has good muscle definition, and I can see just a lil rib. That's the way it should be. Do you have a side shot of him?

By the way that seems like a lot of food a day! My girls get 2-3 cups a day of TOTW. Have you looked into other foods?

Curly_07
Regulator

Postby Celesteandthebullies » Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:33 pm

He looks good to me.

I know it's kind of hard to tell. But here is my foster girl at a close to ideal weight. She could stand to lose just a bit more around her hips. (Can't really feel them without putting pressure)Generally you want to see some rib, but not to the point where you can easily count them while the dog is standing relaxed.
Celesteandthebullies
Addicted to PBF

Postby Kahne131 » Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:45 pm

Curly_07 wrote:Honestly, he looks fine to me. His spine is like that because he has a roach back. One of my girls is just like him. He has good muscle definition, and I can see just a lil rib. That's the way it should be. Do you have a side shot of him?

By the way that seems like a lot of food a day! My girls get 2-3 cups a day of TOTW. Have you looked into other foods?

A roach back? Is that something I need to worry about? He of course has been to the vet for check ups but they never said anything about his back?

It is a lot of food and i hate giving him so much but I have already had him on TOTW, Earthborn, Acana, and Orijen but he seems to like go the best so I would hate to change it, he has such a sensitive tummy.

Heres a side picture a bad picture but all i could find on my computer.

Kahne131
Matured Bully

Postby Curly_07 » Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:51 pm

Idk...I'm not an expert but I don't see anything wrong with his weight. As far as his back, some are more profound than others. My girls isn't as profound as his, but close. As long as you aren't trying to push heavy weights/weight pull on him he should be fine. There are a lot of dogs that have a more profound spine than others. It's just referred to as a roach back(there is another name that is slipping my mind atm).

Curly_07
Regulator

Postby Celesteandthebullies » Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:14 am

He looks good to me. :dunno:
Celesteandthebullies
Addicted to PBF

Postby FBODGRL » Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:48 am

Kahne131 wrote:Kahne is a year and a half now and I have been trying to put weight on him for awhile now with no luck. He eats go! natural Salmon and oatmeal and the honest kitchen Zeal (its a dehydrated raw diet). Kahne has allergies to what seems like everything besides Fish and elk. I would feed raw but I really cant afford raw fish and elk right now. I was wondering if anyone had any tips to putting weight on dogs I would like to get at least 5lbs on him.

The rule of thumb is just because they are allergic to a protein in kibble, doesn't mean they will be allergic to it raw. Actually the chances of them being allergic to it raw are quite low. When the protein is processed for kibble it changes the make up of it. So raw protein does not = same as kibble protein. Not sure if that makes sense.

He is a little thin for my taste, but I think he looks alright.
FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:37 am

Can you feel his hip bones (I don't care about spine) when you pet him? If not, then he's fine.

Thin dogs live 2 years longer... enjoy your skinny mini!
Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby GSDBulldog » Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:37 am

A roach back? Is that something I need to worry about? He of course has been to the vet for check ups but they never said anything about his back?

No, it just means there is a bit of a curve to the shape of his spine. It's normal.

He looks to be at a good weight. Lean with some muscle definition and a good coat (At least from the photos). Extra weight on a dog is detrimental to his/her health and vitality. As long as he maintains a healthy energy level, nice coat, and muscle tone I would not worry.

I keep my dogs lean, especially this time of year when any extra weight can mean an increased chance of heat stroke.

GSDBulldog
Addicted to PBF

Postby akaspaddero » Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:52 am

Our holistic Vet suggested giving my dog 2 tablespoons of olive oil a day to help put weight on my dog.
akaspaddero
Addicted to PBF

Postby IloveBlu » Thu Aug 25, 2011 5:25 pm

Kahne131 wrote:
IloveBlu wrote:Blu eats Go! Salmon & Oats too! Do you order it online?

I buy it from my work its a great food and it has helped but weight in him a little He is eating 3 cups of Go in the AM and 3 cups of GO and 1 cup of the honest kitchen in th PM (after that he doesnt want to eat much more) but hes still to skinny in my eyes you can see his ribs and his spin allot of the time which is why i would like to put like 5 pound on him. I will look into the welness thanks!

Maybe he is the right wieght but I seem to be getting allot of comments on how skinny he is but maybe people are just to use to seeing over weight dogs roflmao

Sorry the pics are not great just took them really fast and I just noticed Kahne bleands in with the kitchen floor :)

Any input would be great! thanks!

That is a TON of food. Blu is between 50-53lbs. and he eats 2.5 cups per day plus about 2 tablespoons of Wellness 95% salmon. If he is having a couch potato day, he'll get closer to 2 cups. And he is not skinny at all - really the perfect weight IMO. Have you have your pup fully vetted recently? I don't think he looks unhealthy, it's just odd to me that he's eating about 3 times what mine is eating and is not gaining weight. Obviously every dog is different but that is a huge margin of difference there.
IloveBlu
Matured Bully

Return to Health Issues