Small cut on the front of paw

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Small cut on the front of paw

Postby xKayleighx » Sun Aug 28, 2011 9:29 pm

Bruce was scrounging around in some brush-y area today and when we got home I realized he had a small cut on top of his front right paw. It's about the size of the top of my pointer finger and isn't really bleeding or anything.

Bruce was prescribed Chlorhex scrub solution awhile back for a small puncture wound on his paw so I diluted that and used a paper towel to soak the wound. I have an E-Collar on him to prevent him from licking at it. I was planning on keeping that on him and then wrapping the wound with gauze while I am in classes from 8:30 - 2:30 tomorrow.

Does that sound good? I was going to call my vet tomorrow morning when they open to make sure. I was going to leave it unwrapped while I was home to let it breathe, but keep it bandaged while I'm not in the home. I was also going to keep the E-Collar on him for the duration, just because he's a sneaky licker.

Thanks in advance!! Just a concerned doggie mom. I wouldn't be worried about it too much if it was a little smaller and he wasn't licking at it... I just don't want it to get infected or anything.
xKayleighx
Newborn Bully

Re: Small cut on the front of paw

Postby xKayleighx » Sun Aug 28, 2011 10:37 pm

He is now limping slightly on that paw... and it appears to be just ever so slightly swollen.

I'm going to see how he is in the morning and if it's still swollen or has gotten worse I'll take him to the vet. :(

I'm considering giving him 1 dose of aspirin in the mean time.... good idea or no?
xKayleighx
Newborn Bully

Postby Misskiwi67 » Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:37 am

No to the aspirin, it will prevent the doctor from prescribing anything safer. Aspirin makes permanent changes that really don't interact well with the other NSAIDs. One dose isn't too bad if he's REALLY hurting, but not more than that, and only if he really needs it (like back pain etc.)

Everything else you have done sounds right. Tiny scratch, no big deal, home care OK (and done well by the way). Swelling and painful = trip to the vet.
Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby xKayleighx » Tue Aug 30, 2011 5:18 pm

Misskiwi67 wrote:No to the aspirin, it will prevent the doctor from prescribing anything safer. Aspirin makes permanent changes that really don't interact well with the other NSAIDs. One dose isn't too bad if he's REALLY hurting, but not more than that, and only if he really needs it (like back pain etc.)

Everything else you have done sounds right. Tiny scratch, no big deal, home care OK (and done well by the way). Swelling and painful = trip to the vet.

Thank you! In the end I did not give him aspirin but we did go to the vet since it was still swollen and he was limping still. She gave us an antibiotic ointment and some carprofen (enough for 3 days). He's doing well, but not liking the cone of shame. hah!
xKayleighx
Newborn Bully

Return to Health Issues