Roscoe chewing stitches

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Roscoe chewing stitches

Postby dogs4jen » Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:28 am

Anyone have any tips for keeping dogs from chewing out their stitches? We've been having a hard time keeping Roscoe from chewing open the stitches he has on his wrist from getting those ganglion cysts removed. We've been keeping it covered with bandages and he chews those open too. Bitter Apple, the donut, liquid bandage that supposedly tastes bad, being given benadry or calming treats, I've been doing all that. I'm getting a bit concerned that it's getting infected too, it did not smell too great when I changed the bandage this morning. He is on antibiotics.
dogs4jen
Forum Junky

Re: Roscoe chewing stitches

Postby jamielvsaustin » Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:05 am

Is one of those plastic cones not an option?

Someone on here recently posted a picture of their dog and how they had to jerry rig the cone to a donut to a harness in order for the dog not to get out of it. Hopefully they'll post the picture or I can find it :)
jamielvsaustin
Regulator

Postby Misskiwi67 » Wed Aug 31, 2011 1:00 pm

jamielvsaustin wrote:Is one of those plastic cones not an option?

Someone on here recently posted a picture of their dog and how they had to jerry rig the cone to a donut to a harness in order for the dog not to get out of it. Hopefully they'll post the picture or I can find it :)

:goodpost:

This is likely your only option - time for the cone of shame. For front leg issues, this is pretty much going to be the only thing denying him access to his wrists.
Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby dogs4jen » Wed Aug 31, 2011 2:20 pm

Thanks you guys, I guess I'll have to go get a cone o ' shame for him. He's been okay since I changed the bandage again, maybe that was bothering him.
dogs4jen
Forum Junky

Return to Health Issues