Paranoia about puppies shots...?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Paranoia about puppies shots...?

Postby tmherrera » Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:13 pm

Want to hear some opinions about this!!! Of course I have my own opinions on it but I am curious what others have to say & what we can learn!

A lot of times people bring a puppy home and it can take up to 3 months before the pup has all his/her shots. Some people say don't take them outside, don't let them with other dogs, OR it won't hurt, socialization is more important, etc etc.

I want to hear what some of you all wonderful people here have to say :thumbsup:

**This is intended to be a knowledgeable debate, but by no means putting down ones belief...
tmherrera
Newborn Bully

Re: Paranoia about puppies shots...?

Postby Misskiwi67 » Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:27 pm

Puppies should have a minimum of one, preferably two modified live vaccines administered while healthy and not stressed after 12 weeks of age before they are considered immune.

Until that time, all care should be taken to minimize potential exposure to distemper/parvo while still keeping up with socialization as the ideal socialization period ends at about the same time as the vaccination series.
Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby tmherrera » Fri Sep 02, 2011 2:36 pm

So would it be safe to say that socialization with dogs that have fulfilled all of there vaccines and are healthy, can come into contact with a new puppy?
tmherrera
Newborn Bully

Postby Misskiwi67 » Fri Sep 02, 2011 6:56 pm

tmherrera wrote:So would it be safe to say that socialization with dogs that have fulfilled all of there vaccines and are healthy, can come into contact with a new puppy?

Yes, fully vaccinated adults are safe. Its less a matter of being exposed to dogs and more a matter of avoiding areas that unvaccinated dogs (or wildlife) spend time. Avoid petstores, parks, woodlands, things like that.
Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby star_frances » Sat Sep 03, 2011 6:38 pm

http://www.avsabonline.org/avsabonline/images/stories/Position_Statements/puppy%20socialization.pdf

"Incomplete or improper socialization during this important time can increase the risk of behavioral problems later in life including fear, avoidance, and/or aggression. Behavioral problems are the greatest threat to the owner-dog bond. In fact, behavioral problems are the number one cause of relinquishment to shelters.3 Behavioral issues, not infectious diseases, are the number one cause of death for dogs under three years of age."
star_frances
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby tmherrera » Sat Sep 03, 2011 9:07 pm

I thought I was on the right track, but I wanted to see if there were any altering opinions here on the forum. Thank you guys for the knowledgeable information. I always put behavioral socialization first with my two! But I have been frowned upon for doing so by a few people. A friend of mine got a new puppy and I asked for a play date, she is still learning a lot, and she wants to wait until he has all his shots... I respectively said that I would wait if that was a big concern of hers although mine are healthy & vaccinated. That's her decision. But if I could educate her on the importance of socialization, and I'm not the only one that believes this, then I will ;)
tmherrera
Newborn Bully

Postby star_frances » Sat Sep 03, 2011 9:42 pm

I made a huge mistake with my dog when she was a puppy. She had parvo, and when she recovered I was so paranoid I really missed out on her crucial socialization period. She is okay, but has a much rougher time now, and it is totally my fault - a mistake I will not make again.
star_frances
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby Boss*sMom » Sat Sep 03, 2011 11:57 pm

We dont allow contact or on the ground play without 2 sets of shots under them... With our hounds they are in an elevated kennel until 1st set then go onto a concrete slab to the 2nd... Havent lost a pup in years now other than one stillbirth this year. Love to raise healthy happy hounds and take great care to the homes that they go to. Not papered dogs but my family raises beagles... Have alot of good hunters, and good pets now in the community from our dogs... Just got our last girl fixed so our hound raising days are over for now... My niece kept 5 of the pups from the last litter and homed 2 as hunter/pet.

This makes me teary eyes, sorry to go off topic.
Boss*sMom
Super Bully

Return to Health Issues