poison in the drinking water?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

poison in the drinking water?

Postby heafy » Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:26 am

As most of you know, there are soooo many things added to tap water. New studies are coming out that shows an increased risk of bone cancer in children who drink fluoridated water, fluorosis of the bones, etc Has anyone heard anything concerning dogs?

I know with my youngest dog, we gave her spring water for probably her first three months - she has the healthiest teeth out of all our dogs although it would be hard to prove it was because she did not get that initial fluoride. I just wish I had a hardcore water purifier - one that actually gets the chlorine and fluoride out. :pray

On a side note, anyone know when fluoride was first added to drinking water? It was during WWII, the Nazi's found that it made prisoners (Jews) more docile and easier to control. And in tests that were done that shown that it prevented cavities, fluoride was applied directly to the teeth not even put in the drinking water.. But now except for a few places, sodium fluoride is dumped in our drinking water :(
heafy
BANNED
 
Posts: 20
Joined: Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:10 pm
Location: Backwoods, AR

Re: poison in the drinking water?

Postby BrokenAquarian » Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:46 am

The crap in tap water that harms us - also harms other creatures. I filter my dogs' water. If I'm going to feed good food, I'd better at least make an attempt at giving them clean water.
User avatar
BrokenAquarian
Addicted to PBF
 
Posts: 11190
Joined: Mon Mar 20, 2006 8:43 pm
Location: 39° 24′ 35″ N, 123° 21′ 20″ W

Re: poison in the drinking water?

Postby heafy » Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:47 am

BrokenAquarian wrote:The crap in tap water that harms us - also harms other creatures. I filter my dogs' water. If I'm going to feed good food, I'd better at least make an attempt at giving them clean water.

From my post you can deduct that I know that the tap water is harmful, I am asking if anyone has came across studies concerning animals.

what kind of filter you use?
heafy
BANNED
 
Posts: 20
Joined: Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:10 pm
Location: Backwoods, AR

Re: poison in the drinking water?

Postby tiva » Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:54 pm

There is no evidence that fluoridation harms dogs (or any other animals, for that matter). The US fluoridation standards set fluoride levels at 0.7 to 1.2 mg/L; natural groundwater levels of fluoride can be as high as 50 mg/L (levels where mineralization of bones may be affected). What this means is that tap water often has much safer levels of fluoride, because water authorities will remove fluoride if natural levels exceed the drinking water standards.

If you're concerned about contaminants in your drinking water, the first step is to check the Environmental Working Group's database. Most towns have safe drinking water, but some do have measurable levels of contaminants of concern. Check your own town here: http://www.ewg.org/tap-water/home

If you do live in a town with water quality issues, carbon filters are effective against most contaminants of concern. Regular old faucet-mounted filters are cheap ($20 to $30), readily available at big box stores, and they work if you maintain them.

Tap water is MUCH safer than most bottled water, domestic well water, or spring water.
User avatar
tiva
Pit Bull Forum Addict
 
Posts: 1726
Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2008 8:49 pm

Re: poison in the drinking water?

Postby star_frances » Fri Sep 09, 2011 3:22 pm

That EWG website is priceless - I also use their Skin Deep cosmetic safety database frequently.
User avatar
star_frances
Pit Bull Forum Addict
 
Posts: 1889
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2007 7:54 am
Location: Pittsburgh, PA

Re: poison in the drinking water?

Postby Cherry » Fri Sep 09, 2011 4:44 pm

I use a Brita pitcher for my dog's water. That's all she gets. And I use Ox-E from Nzymes to help purify it even more.
User avatar
Cherry
Bully Lover 4 Life
 
Posts: 1488
Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2008 3:47 pm
Location: Houston, TX

Re: poison in the drinking water?

Postby Misskiwi67 » Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:26 pm

I do know of one dog who became very ill from well water. When the dog got sick and the owners couldn't find the problem, they had the well tested and it was something bad.

I don't remember more details because it was shortly before I started working at that clinic, but yes, pets can get sick from water, and if they don't want to drink the water, pay attention!
User avatar
Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF
 
Posts: 10522
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2006 9:37 pm
Location: Iowa City, IA


Return to Health Issues

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 5 guests