Fiona getting spayed

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Fiona getting spayed

Postby Fionasbuddy » Sat Sep 03, 2011 4:29 pm

Fiona is going on 7 months (or will be for her surgery). She is scheduled for her spay..... why am I so sad about this? haha

I do NOT want pups but for some reason feel a smidgen uneasy. She is going to be interesting to keep calm for a week HAHA Wish me luck....

What ages did you have your females spayed?
Fionasbuddy
Newborn Bully

Re: Fiona getting spayed

Postby nic » Sat Sep 03, 2011 4:33 pm

She'll be fine :)
I've had my girls spayed at all different ages and they all did great.
nic
Forum Junky

Postby Fionasbuddy » Sat Sep 03, 2011 4:38 pm

I know with GIANT breeds (we have a mastiff as well) they suggest waiting until after a year for proper bone development and what not- makes sense... I guess I just wasn't sure with my mutt ;)

I imagine she will be ok. :-D But with all that energy....I might have to tape her down ;) Ok not really. :run:
Fionasbuddy
Newborn Bully

Postby star_frances » Sat Sep 03, 2011 6:35 pm

I think my Moira was 9 months when I had her spayed. She was just fine. Fiona will be too. =)
star_frances
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby kornygerm » Sat Sep 03, 2011 7:57 pm

i just sent my dog to the clinic, so she can get spayed. I feel a little bad. i never have had an altered dog, i guess i picture how the puppies could have turn out, but then again it would be an extra expense, and would i find home for those puppies?so even thought i love puppies, i had to get it done with as she is a foster, im just hoping things will be fine and so with your dog. :)
kornygerm
Matured Bully

Postby BrokenAquarian » Sat Sep 03, 2011 9:24 pm

I never felt guilty about the puppies that would never be born. I always felt guilt for having perfectly healthy body parts cut off and thrown away. I got over it lol
BrokenAquarian
Addicted to PBF

Postby Fionasbuddy » Sat Sep 03, 2011 10:51 pm

BrokenAquarian wrote:I never felt guilty about the puppies that would never be born. I always felt guilt for having perfectly healthy body parts cut off and thrown away. I got over it lol

haha I get that! ;)
Fionasbuddy
Newborn Bully

Postby kornygerm » Sun Sep 04, 2011 12:44 am

BrokenAquarian wrote:I never felt guilty about the puppies that would never be born. I always felt guilt for having perfectly healthy body parts cut off and thrown away. I got over it lol

haha i guess i got over it, i just picked up the dog, the vet tells me, good news, she cant have puppies anymore, bad news, she was pregnant, i was like damm, i mean i knew as the dachshund was crazy for her, and she must have been at least two weeks, but at least she will be babies free, even though it was kind of an abortion..Anyhow, she is my first foster, so i'm still learning from my mistakes.
kornygerm
Matured Bully

Postby Fionasbuddy » Sun Sep 04, 2011 3:02 pm

kornygerm wrote:

haha i guess i got over it, i just picked up the dog, the vet tells me, good news, she cant have puppies anymore, bad news, she was pregnant, i was like damm, i mean i knew as the dachshund was crazy for her, and she must have been at least two weeks, but at least she will be babies free, even though it was kind of an abortion..Anyhow, she is my first foster, so i'm still learning from my mistakes.

Aw that is much sadder than just a spay! :(
Fionasbuddy
Newborn Bully

Postby kornygerm » Sun Sep 04, 2011 3:09 pm

Fionasbuddy wrote:
kornygerm wrote:

It was for a bit, but at least she is ok and resting on the living room, i just gave her antibotics, so she sould be fine in a couple of days.
kornygerm
Matured Bully

Postby Misskiwi67 » Sun Sep 04, 2011 3:10 pm

Fionasbuddy wrote:

Nope... not sad at all... Thats 6 less dogs that won't be born, only to die because there aren't enough homes for them.

So much better to do it now.
Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby kornygerm » Sun Sep 04, 2011 3:43 pm

Misskiwi67 wrote:
Fionasbuddy wrote:

Nope... not sad at all... Thats 6 less dogs that won't be born, only to die because there aren't enough homes for them.

True, i would have been sadder knowing i couldnt take care of them as puppies, and not find good homes for them. There are puppies and adults that have been in the shelter for a long time, waiting to find a home.
kornygerm
Matured Bully

Postby Fionasbuddy » Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:55 pm

kornygerm wrote:
Misskiwi67 wrote:
Fionasbuddy wrote:

True, i would have been sadder knowing i couldnt take care of them as puppies, and not find good homes for them. There are puppies and adults that have been in the shelter for a long time, waiting to find a home.

I don't disagree one bit- but to know lives were there does give it a bit of a shell shock effect, not a lasting reaction, but a shock nonetheless. I am definitely PRO rescue or adoption myself... and MANY dogs are out there that need homes. Actually Fiona, her mother and her litter mates were given a time frame in SoCal and if not adopted they all would have been euthanized so they were sent to a rescue in WA. This is why so many dogs are transported up to WA..... the adoption, survival and support rate is much more pet friendly in these parts.

Well, I know Fiona's surgery will be fine- just wasn't sure "when" it should be done and when people usually do it, ya know. :-D Thanks for all the comments guys!
Fionasbuddy
Newborn Bully

Postby kornygerm » Sun Sep 04, 2011 11:34 pm

Fionasbuddy wrote:
kornygerm wrote:
Misskiwi67 wrote:
Fionasbuddy wrote:

I don't disagree one bit- but to know lives were there does give it a bit of a shell shock effect, not a lasting reaction, but a shock nonetheless. I am definitely PRO rescue or adoption myself... and MANY dogs are out there that need homes. Actually Fiona, her mother and her litter mates were given a time frame in SoCal and if not adopted they all would have been euthanized so they were sent to a rescue in WA. This is why so many dogs are transported up to WA..... the adoption, survival and support rate is much more pet friendly in these parts.

Well, I know Fiona's surgery will be fine- just wasn't sure "when" it should be done and when people usually do it, ya know. :-D Thanks for all the comments guys!

I didint know they could move them to another shelter in a different state, that is a very good thing to do.
I'm sure your dog will be fine, mine has been a little lethatgic, but it should be the meds and still time to recover, her "bf" has been with her most of the day, so its kind of funny to see them together.
kornygerm
Matured Bully

Postby PitbullLover* » Mon Sep 05, 2011 5:24 am

I felt the same type of sadness you had, and also that I felt like cutting in a healthy dog was not a good idea but my dog ended up having a infection in her female parts....she was fixed at age 9, and she was never bred my other girl was fixed at age 7 (never bred German shepard) and I should have done it years ago...I will never own a unfixed dog again. ;)
PitbullLover*
Super Bully

Next

Return to Health Issues