Anal gland leakage

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Anal gland leakage

Postby jamielvsaustin » Wed Sep 07, 2011 3:19 pm

I'm in search of information/advice for a friend. Her poor boy has been to the vet every week for the last month to have his glands expressed-a new development for them. And he's leaking at home. He is a very happy go lucky boy and I this is starting to take a toll on him, as well as his momma.

She's concerned they are or will rupture. He was put on antibiotics and prednisone. He's recently come off of them. There has been no blood or impaction...but the vet did not do a fecal or test for giardia. The vet has said what's coming out is normal, but that his skin is inflamed. He thinks it could be a birth defect. She said the vet was going to teach her how to do it at home, but wanted to figure this issue out first...she said the vet said the sacs are full but he's having an issue expressing them (the vet). Yet he's leaking? She said that the vet mentioned they were sitting a little higher or "unilateral" than he's used to seeing. He's scheduled to go back next week; if it is the same scenario then the vet will recommend someone to do surgery. She's not against surgery but wants to make sure she's doing what she can first before going that route.

Right now she plans on getting a second opinion; she's not comfortable with this vet. She feels like he doesn't have a lot of experience.

She says until he was on the antibiotics his stool was firm but not too hard (she mentioned it's starting to get back to normal). She changed to BB back in May and doesn't think it's the food.

Would recommending canned pumpkin and a probiotic be helpful? Or would that skew test results?

He gets heartguard and comfortis on a regular basis-but hasn't this month because of all of these issues. And Benadryl occasionally.

Okay, I think I got everything...oh! Pictures.

Kane helping with homework.
jamielvsaustin
Regulator

Re: Anal gland leakage

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:58 pm

Until his stools are back to normal, I wouldn't be considering a analsaculectomy.

You say that they aren't quite solid yet. I would try a probiotic first (we use fortiflora with good success at my clinic). Canned pumpkin we rarely see a benefit but since it can't hurt, we often recommend it anyways.

Neither of those things should affect test results. I would also do a full fecal OPG.

The dog has just come off antibiotics (do you know which type?) and prednisone. This certainly wont be helping matters. I'd consider a short term gastro diet until his stools are 100% back to normal, and then without changing anything else in his routine, start introducing him back to his regular diet.
AllisonPitbullLvr
Regulator

Postby jamielvsaustin » Thu Sep 08, 2011 7:24 am

I haven't talked to her today, but on facebook she posted that she had to take him to the e-vet last night :( I'll pass along what you've suggested. Thanks!
jamielvsaustin
Regulator

Postby PitbullLover* » Fri Sep 09, 2011 4:57 am

My pooch also had this frequently and it seemed to have been because of her food (royal canin) now I just make sure her poop does not get to hard or to loose. So she has all natural food no kibble anymore. I also give her yogurt, and we have been free of problems for awhile now. poor Kane :( It also seems to be more a problem with male dogs that have not been fixed...or so my vet says.
PitbullLover*
Super Bully

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Fri Sep 09, 2011 7:44 am

PitbullLover* wrote:My pooch also had this frequently and it seemed to have been because of her food (royal canin) now I just make sure her poop does not get to hard or to loose. So she has all natural food no kibble anymore. I also give her yogurt, and we have been free of problems for awhile now. poor Kane :( It also seems to be more a problem with male dogs that have not been fixed...or so my vet says.

Didn't your dog have anal fistulas? It's not quite the same.
AllisonPitbullLvr
Regulator

Postby Enigma » Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:01 am

If it helps, here's our battle with anal gland infections:

http://pbf2.pitbullforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=129708&hilit=StinkyButt

In the end, after doing everything possible without any improvements, i decided for the surgery.
Enigma
Forum Junky

Return to Health Issues