Fed up. #$%^%#^$ fleas.

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Re: Fed up. #$%^%#^$ fleas.

Postby star_frances » Thu Sep 08, 2011 3:17 pm

BrokenAquarian wrote:Don't ants eat flea eggs and larvae?
Have you guys recently wiped out the ant population around there?

We killed a small colony of ants that was living in the concrete patio outside our front door, but that's it. I try to leave outside bugs alone and even carry bugs outside that get in the house.
star_frances
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby Misskiwi67 » Thu Sep 08, 2011 4:21 pm

Do you have feral cats around your house? If so, this could be a major contributor to your problem.
Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby star_frances » Thu Sep 08, 2011 5:11 pm

Misskiwi67 wrote:Do you have feral cats around your house? If so, this could be a major contributor to your problem.

Yes, we care for a few feral cats on the property. We're out in the country so it is inevitable. I sneak a Capstar into their food when I can but I know it doesn't help much. Any other suggestions in that regard?
star_frances
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby PitbullLover* » Fri Sep 09, 2011 5:32 am

I've been were you are now its horrible. I've treated my dogs with frontline and treated the whole house with insecticide....but it did not work so well since the neighbor had one dog at the time who wasn't treated with flea stuff and some family here has very sick cats with lots of fleas. So i switched over and treated the dogs with garlic, in their food twice a week, since garlic can cause anemia cats are more vulnerable for garlic so I won't know if its a good idea to feed them garlic, since i don't own any cats. I also treated around my whole house, front and backyard. Most likely your cats or feral cats are the problem, so I would switch flea stuff and treat the whole back and front yard too. What I used was Exil Flea Free, I dont know if its available in the US? What also works wonders is spray what is used to kill insects etc. on birds, its also a spray you would use in the bird cages, I just used it in my house and front and back yard. I don't know what vacuumcleaner you use but we have here one were you put in a bag who collects all the dirt, In that bag i put few drops off lavender oil, fleas hate lavender and i also sprayed insecticide inside it. I wiped the floor (non carpet) with a bucket with eucalyptus oil once a day it even smells fresh. lol I washed the dogs with a shampoo containing aloe vera, and later on I made a ''pet parfum'' with a bottle containing a few drops of aloe vera oil, and sprayed it on their coats, which is safe to spray on cats,rabbits and any other animals ;)

:thumbsup:
PitbullLover*
Super Bully

Postby Misskiwi67 » Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:03 am

star_frances wrote:
Misskiwi67 wrote:Do you have feral cats around your house? If so, this could be a major contributor to your problem.

Yes, we care for a few feral cats on the property. We're out in the country so it is inevitable. I sneak a Capstar into their food when I can but I know it doesn't help much. Any other suggestions in that regard?

I would recommend feeding the cats far away from the house, or applying revolution monthly to each cat. Revolution is very easy to apply if you can touch the cat while they are eating, just a quick squeeze and you are done.

Cats and wildlife are probably the worst contributor to yard flea infestations.
Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby star_frances » Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:15 am

Misskiwi67 wrote:
star_frances wrote:

I would recommend feeding the cats far away from the house, or applying revolution monthly to each cat. Revolution is very easy to apply if you can touch the cat while they are eating, just a quick squeeze and you are done.

Cats and wildlife are probably the worst contributor to yard flea infestations.

We can't get anywhere near the cats, sadly. Even the one that grew up here and her Mama are still pretty unapproachable. We had to live trap them all to get them fixed and vaccinated. We have raccoons and possums that come up in the yard and empty the birdfeeders, too. Okay, that explains the ginormous flea problem. Now it's time to get the yard treated and pray for cold weather! :pray
star_frances
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby Misskiwi67 » Fri Sep 09, 2011 1:36 pm

Start feeding the cats far from the home. They will continue to house live fleas, and unless the yard treatment is designed for long-term, the fleas on the cats will continue to produce thousands of eggs and larvae per day (assuming 20 fleas per cat and 80 eggs per day per female flea)...
Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby star_frances » Fri Sep 09, 2011 2:58 pm

So far the neem oil is doing wonders for Moira's scabby sores and irritated spots. It smells terrible, and makes the dogs want to lick each other like crazy roflmao but she stopped scratching at herself, and her skin is looking much less red and inflamed. Can't tell yet if it is having an effect on the fleas, but I am happy with what we've got. :)
star_frances
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby BigBadPibbul » Sat Sep 10, 2011 12:08 am

star_frances wrote:So far the neem oil is doing wonders for Moira's scabby sores and irritated spots. It smells terrible, and makes the dogs want to lick each other like crazy roflmao but she stopped scratching at herself, and her skin is looking much less red and inflamed. Can't tell yet if it is having an effect on the fleas, but I am happy with what we've got. :)

Neem is awesome stuff. It smells terrible and tastes worse but I've come to love it :thumbsup:
BigBadPibbul
Bully Ambassador

Previous

Return to Health Issues