Worms

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Worms

Postby Boss*sMom » Fri Sep 09, 2011 6:28 am

Not again...... These are flat worms, the kind I had in my fish tank once if that makes any since... Boss has them in his poop, they are coming out dead not alive. I have classes until 12:30 today and will be taking him to the vet pronto, I might even skip classes totally. He is bloated and off of his feed.

We have been through alot with Boss, I have never seen these worms in any dog before, they are NOT tapeworm segments, this I know... They are flatworms.

*sigh* I was hoping the vet was threw seeing so much of us. I also dont understand how this is happening when he is wormed on a regular basis.
Boss*sMom
Super Bully

Re: Worms

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Fri Sep 09, 2011 7:51 am

At least it's easy to treat.

Your dog can get flatworms by coming in contact with feces or by eating another animal in water such as a pond or lake. The worms are contracted when they eat a fish or other small infected marine animal such as a frog or crayfish.

Any of this going on?
AllisonPitbullLvr
Regulator

Postby Boss*sMom » Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:34 am

Fed him a few.shrimp about two weeks ago! God I feel like a bad mom now. Got am appointment with the vet going to miss 4 classes today but its worth it to get my boy betters
Boss*sMom
Super Bully

Postby Boss*sMom » Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:06 am

When I called the vet office to make the appointment, the tech was just so confident that these are tape worms. I have seen tape worms in my goats before and I have seen flatworms in my fishtank before. These do not look like tapeworms. I guess they can run a fecal to be positive, I dont want them just giving him medicine and it being for the wrong worms.

I guess I wont be feeding him any raw foods anymore if this came from the shrimp... I honestly didnt know they could hurt him.

I am freaking out.
Boss*sMom
Super Bully

Postby Misskiwi67 » Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:05 am

Take a couple worms with you if you can... this will help a lot in positive ID.

You use eggs in the feces to identify worms, and they aren't always laying eggs, so fecal floats aren't a 100% surefire way to identify parasites.
Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Boss*sMom » Fri Sep 09, 2011 3:02 pm

They were tapeworms :( I really thought they looked like flatworms but I was wrong... Poor boy screamed when they did the fecal... He has some medicine now and we are hoping this doesnt happen again. Vet said they get the tapeworms from eating a flea, not feeding raw so we wont stop that... But what I dont understand is that we are flea free? We spend alot of money treating all 4 dogs and the house so that we dont have fleas... Yet my boy gets a worm from a flea...

108$ later and we have medicine, last round of shots, and our purty rabies Id tag!! Matches his collar!!! Now in a month we get fixed!! O.o
Boss*sMom
Super Bully

Postby Shoshana » Sat Sep 10, 2011 2:38 am

We've never had fleas and Peanut had tapeworms too. Vet said she could have walked on one and later licked her paw.
Shoshana
Bully Ambassador

Postby Misskiwi67 » Sat Sep 10, 2011 2:51 pm

Your pup could have had a single flea jump on him outside and when he itched and licked he swallowed it.

Its also common to have them catch and eat a small rodent or some-such with fleas on it and get them that way.
Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Return to Health Issues