Tail Docking

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Tail Docking

Postby Boss*sMom » Sun Sep 11, 2011 11:01 am

Our vet has recommended that we have boss's tail docked due to its deformities and that he can potentially "wag" it off, literally. I honestly didnt know what to think, so went for a second opinion. The second vet also said the same thing. I'm wondering if any of you have had this issue? I have never seen a pit with a docked tail? Our vet said he can do it in the same session when Boss is getting fixed. Boss's tail is crooked and very misformed and knotty, he doesnt like for it to be touched and if he is wagging it and hits a table leg he will scream. Its hurting him.... I want to do right by him so we will be going through with this, but my main thing is will having no tail affect his swimming? He loves to swim and we want to participate in dock diving.

If anyone has any helpful information, or just moral support it would be great. I tried to get some pictures but I only have a camera phone and the pictures are not turning out right.
Boss*sMom
Super Bully

Re: Tail Docking

Postby PitBull-Lady » Sun Sep 11, 2011 11:19 am

I'm not familiar with the issues your pup is having with his tail, but being so sensitive to his tail is not normal.

We had a tail docked dog before and while I do not prefer it, it certainly is 'ok'. You just have less tail to look at or get hit with. I would think that if your dogs tail is so sensitive that it could get him in trouble later on. Like maybe biting someone or even a child for not knowing better etc.

Last year we were seriously considering having Flower's tail docked if it did not heal from Happy Tail. Thank goodness it finally healed, but it is always in the back of my mind now as a possibility if it happens again. I can deal with it but I will miss her tail if we have to do it. A nub will still show her emotion though :)

If you are doing a neuter I'd say you might as well do the tail. Save on anesthesia time and just do it at once.
PitBull-Lady
Addicted to PBF

Postby FBODGRL » Sun Sep 11, 2011 11:19 am

If it's hurting him I don't see any reason to not get it docked.

I know some people have had to dock due to happy tail...and strangely some people think pit bulls tails are docked normally (I think some BYB's do it)
FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF

Postby Boss*sMom » Sun Sep 11, 2011 11:23 am

So they call it Happy Tail when they wag it off? I def do not want that to happen!! Yes it does cause him discomfort, we have looked into massage therapy in hopes of saving it, but it really makes him uncomfortable... My poor baby is a BYB health riddled mess. This is learning from mistakes the hard way. But he is so intelligent and loving, I just want to do right by my baby...
Boss*sMom
Super Bully

Postby FransterDoo » Sun Sep 11, 2011 11:24 am

You could ask to have it docked as little as possible. or is his whole tail messed up?
FransterDoo
Addicted to PBF

Postby FBODGRL » Sun Sep 11, 2011 11:30 am

Boss*sMom wrote:So they call it Happy Tail when they wag it off? I def do not want that to happen!! Yes it does cause him discomfort, we have looked into massage therapy in hopes of saving it, but it really makes him uncomfortable... My poor baby is a BYB health riddled mess. This is learning from mistakes the hard way. But he is so intelligent and loving, I just want to do right by my baby...

Happy tail is a condition where the dog bangs it tail when wagging it and happy, etc. The tail actually splits open and bleeds. It is difficult to heal, because the dog continues to split it open over and over again. Causing some people to have to dock off part of the tail.
FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF

Postby BrokenAquarian » Sun Sep 11, 2011 2:48 pm

It won't effect his swimming much, if at all. The legs do most of the work.
BrokenAquarian
Addicted to PBF

Postby Boss*sMom » Sun Sep 11, 2011 3:25 pm

FransterDoo wrote:You could ask to have it docked as little as possible. or is his whole tail messed up?

It starts about an inch from the base of his tale.. Knotted and kind of like a z, then it curves to the left stiffly. Probably have it docked and left at an inch I guess. I wish i could get a picture that was half decent to post.

He kept it tucked all the time, but now that he is blooming and being more social and happy he holds it out and its very noticable, its also not as long as a normal tail, from the knotting and crookedness I guess.
Boss*sMom
Super Bully

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Sun Sep 11, 2011 4:02 pm

If two vets recommended it and it's causing him pain, I would have it docked at the same time he was neutered.
AllisonPitbullLvr
Regulator

Postby tiva » Sun Sep 11, 2011 8:31 pm

I agree--do it if both vets say it will make him happier. Our Tiva had to have her tail docked when she got cancer in her tail, and she hasn't seemed to mind for a moment. But do follow the vet's recovery directions exactly--it is super important to protect the stub during healing.
tiva
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby Boss*sMom » Sun Sep 11, 2011 8:41 pm

AllisonPibbleLvr wrote:If two vets recommended it and it's causing him pain, I would have it docked at the same time he was neutered.

We are def going through with it, I was just looking for support and words from members who have pits with docked tails. We will be getting him neutered about a month from today, so the surgery for his tail will be at the same time.

I'm just a worried mum.
Boss*sMom
Super Bully

Postby Nichole » Sun Sep 11, 2011 8:49 pm

I'm pretty sure it wont affect his swimming. He will adapt and I'm sure he'll be grateful to not be hurting anymore. I'd be fretting too! It's what every good momma does.
Nichole
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby heartbullies » Sun Sep 11, 2011 8:53 pm

My dog has a partially docked tail, done as an emergency surgery as a result of Happy Tail trauma. He wears a life jacket when he swims but I think that his clumsiness has nothing to do with his short tail.

Yes, do make sure to follow the post-op instructions. He will probably feel much better without the painful and sensitive tail!

Good luck!

Sent from my ATRIX using Tapatalk
heartbullies
Regulator

Postby Apbt4life » Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:19 pm

im glad you are going to go through with it because its best for your dog, there isnt many pitbulls with docked tails but its ok, as far as his swimming goes he wil be ok, he wont need it much for dock diving.
Apbt4life
Matured Bully

Postby Shoshana » Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:28 pm

I'd do it too because he's in pain.

I don't think it will affect his dock diving at all. As for swimming, Peanut keeps her tail out of the water and she's a really good swimmer. The German Shorthair Pointers I dogsit for all have docked tails and they are all good at leaping into the pool - all except the Tripod.
Shoshana
Bully Ambassador

Next

Return to Health Issues