Tail Docking

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Re: Tail Docking

Postby Boss*sMom » Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:33 pm

You all have really helped me feel more confident in this decision. My vet wants to wait another month to do the neuter so we will be doing the tail then, probably once we get home from our first dock diving practice (hopefully we get to make it)
Boss*sMom
Super Bully

Postby pblove » Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:33 am

maybe pbf member "Red" will see this thread or you can pm her. Her dog Jack had his tail docked due to happy tail.
pblove
Addicted to PBF

Postby jamielvsaustin » Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:44 am

I don't cutting off parts of dogs for no reason...and I really don't like it for asthetic reasons...but in cases like this-where it was going to benefit the dog...the dog will be more comfortable-I'm all for it.

There's a member here-Otis-who has had to have multiple surgeries on her dogs ear. Each time they took a little more of the ear flap. It sucks, but if it's helpful-go for it.
jamielvsaustin
Regulator

Postby Red » Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:03 am

Boss*sMom wrote:.... I want to do right by him so we will be going through with this, but my main thing is will having no tail affect his swimming? He loves to swim and we want to participate in dock diving.

If he is in pain then it is the right choice, regardless everything else.My male Jack was docked when younger, due to happy tail. It is quite hard to bandage or keep the tail safe once it continues to hit things and the wounds don't heal.I tried to save his, but when it started to become painful the docking had to happen. Jack's balance was not influenced by it in the least, whatever he is doing.He was an agile dog with the tail and he remained the same.I opted to do a short dock because if he was going under for it I did not want to take chances for farther problems down the road. Everything went well with him and his tail is still easy to read.

Day after the surgery:

Still looks handsome :)

Red
Addicted to PBF

Postby Boss*sMom » Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:36 pm

Wow Red he is a STUNNER!!! Handsome doesnt do him justice!!!!

Well, our vet bills keep going up. My min pin is going in for her spay in 2 weeks, then boss will be going in for his neuter and tail docking... I feel like I am paying to put my vets non existing grand kids through college...

Healthy and happy, that is the main goal :)
Boss*sMom
Super Bully

Previous

Return to Health Issues