Help....sick puppy

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Help....sick puppy

Postby NYnative » Sun Sep 11, 2011 5:17 pm

First off, here is the background,
Sept 2nd I get a call from the HS asking for help. Someone called and had a 5 week old puppy they didn't want. It seems their 16 year old daughter bought if from some BYB douche in Minnesota that weekend. The puppy was born 22 July and they took it home 27 Aug.
The HS had no room for a pup and asked me for help since I have rescue contacts and am a lover of the breed and they trust me to spay before adopting out animals and so forth.

Anyway, I meet this woman in a parking lot in town. I usually do not like strangers to know where I live so I don't conduct a lot of business at my home. So she opens the door of her "8 week" old pup and my heart sinks. I can see she's bearly 5 weeks and that she's sick. We go to the vet.....worms and coccidia. No biggie....I thought.

She was vomiting and had diarrehea. I figured the worming caused it and it was to be expected. After 3 days of this with no appetite in sight we went back to the vet where she spent 5 days. No Parvo. 800 dollars later, she is not better. Her symptoms are as follows:

Extreme lethargy
No appetite
Iffy with water
Poop is still not solid

It is now 11 Sept so we've been battling for 9 days now. Do I seek another vet? I am not sure if blood work was done.
I am taking her back tomorrow and demanding it though. Any ideas?
I've googled her symptoms and tried other web sites but can't find anything. I am syringe feeding both food and water.
I bought her some KMR to try and get as much nutrition in her as possible.
Advice??????
NYnative
Bully Ambassador

Re: Help....sick puppy

Postby k8nkane » Sun Sep 11, 2011 5:33 pm

You can put pedialyte in her water to help keep up her electrolytes.

I would take her back to the vet, say the symptoms aren't going away, and see what they suggest. If they don't suggest anything you're happy with, I would try a second vet as vomiting and diarrhea is very serious in a puppy of that age.
k8nkane
Newborn Bully

Postby Misskiwi67 » Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:07 am

Is the pup hospitalized or at home?

If the pup is hospitalized, I would send to a 24 hour facility with an ICU where she can get intensive care. When we had the rescue with 21 pups, many of them lost so much protein through the GI tract they needed blood and plasma transfusions to get through. The younger the pup, the harder it is to get them through. A 24 hour facility will have the materials and know-how to figure out what is lacking and treat it.

If the pup is at home, start syringe feeding. We start syringe feeding parvo pups immediately, even if they are vomiting, the intestines can't heal if they aren't getting nutrition, and they get more nutrition from food than from the bloodstream.
Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Boss*sMom » Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:11 am

We had alot of the same issues with coccidea when Boss had it. It was absoutely horrible and he had the same symptoms. He wnet 14 days straight living in a kennel, cleaned several times a day and disenfected. He was on special food and medicine 4 times a day for 14 days. No outside contact, no contact with carpet that might have dirt in it, nothing... We finally started to see solid poops and eventually got a fecal negative for coccidea.
Boss*sMom
Super Bully

Postby NYnative » Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:11 pm

Thanx.....we are going in right now for blood work. I have been syringe feeding alsoo.
NYnative
Bully Ambassador

Postby Ilovethepits » Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:16 pm

I have no advice but hoping and praying for the best outcome for this puppy.
Please update. If you need some donations for her I can chip in a very small amount.
Ilovethepits
Addicted to PBF

Postby NYnative » Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:46 pm

Thanks. I really don't need this financially right now since Wigglz the stray kitten is up to over 12000 at the U of M....lol But I look at it this way. I will do everything in my power never to make a life and death descision based on finances. Hell I gotta a lot of nice guns I can sell for quite the profit if need be.
I took on this responsibility and am going to follow through. Besides, the old man is in love.....

Karen
NYnative
Bully Ambassador

Postby pblove » Mon Sep 12, 2011 4:35 pm

any positive updates today(I hope)
pblove
Addicted to PBF

Postby NYnative » Tue Sep 13, 2011 1:56 am

Went to the vet....blood glucose was 17.....this is not a misprint. Almost no white blood cells and extremely anemic. Got in my car and drove to Minneapolis where I now sit in a hotel while Sadie is at the U of M getting supportive care and then a blood transfusion.
This sucks but I started a weeks vacation today so at least I can stay with herk
NYnative
Bully Ambassador

Postby Misskiwi67 » Tue Sep 13, 2011 3:22 am

NYnative wrote:Went to the vet....blood glucose was 17.....this is not a misprint. Almost no white blood cells and extremely anemic. Got in my car and drove to Minneapolis where I now sit in a hotel while Sadie is at the U of M getting supportive care and then a blood transfusion.
This sucks but I started a weeks vacation today so at least I can stay with herk

Sounds like our pups... but all but two made it out of 19, many of them 6-8 weeks of age! The parvo is actually probably gone by now, he just needs some TLC to get healed again!
Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Ilovethepits » Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:17 am

NYnative wrote:Went to the vet....blood glucose was 17.....this is not a misprint. Almost no white blood cells and extremely anemic. Got in my car and drove to Minneapolis where I now sit in a hotel while Sadie is at the U of M getting supportive care and then a blood transfusion.

You are an ANGEL! I hope and pray that Sadie makes it through this and has a full recovery to become a healthy, loving and happy dog. You are both in my thoughts and prayers.
Ilovethepits
Addicted to PBF

Postby NYnative » Wed Sep 14, 2011 3:29 pm

update, she is still critical......they have to redo the jugular catheder because the other one failed. Right now I am in for 3000 but that's ok because my dad just gave me 4000 to help with the bills. I normally would not take anything from him since he''s on social security but luckily for me he's been squirreling money away for a rainy day.
I feel like a thief asking for this. I have decided to mortgage my house to pay off all the other vet bills that I have.
It is in excess of 20 thousand dollars. I cannot afford to pay the interest on my credit cards so this is what my husband and I have decided to do.

If this cath fails I am going to have them put her to sleep. This poor baby can just handle so much crap. The final bill with be in excess of 6000 since they need a surgeon to try and fix the jug cath. I feel so goddamn bad right now.
I am so glad that I did not ask for the name of her breeder.
The money is not the issue but the agony she is going through is enough to make me take a life sentence. If you guys knew me you would know that this is a possibility. Thank you for those that offered to help. I will update later when the surgeon calls me to let me know if it failed or not.

Karen
NYnative
Bully Ambassador

Postby LayLow » Wed Sep 14, 2011 4:47 pm

You must be a great person to work with these animals like you have. My hat is off to you. :clap

Shaw
LayLow
Newborn Bully

Postby pblove » Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:12 pm

praying for you baby girl, :pray
:hug: for both of you
pblove
Addicted to PBF

Postby Ilovethepits » Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:15 am

pblove wrote:praying for you baby girl, :pray