Any experience with Nature's Domain dog food?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Postby Red » Thu Sep 15, 2011 12:08 am

The local Costo has just started to carry this food and I was wondering if anyone has tried it and can offer a feedback.

http://www.naturesdomainpetfood.com/about-natures-domain/natures-domain-salmon-meal-and-sweet-potato-formula-for-dogs

Ingredients:

Salmon meal, sweet potatoes, peas, potatoes, canola oil, pea protein, potato fiber, natural flavor, flaxseed, ocean fish meal, salt, choline chloride, dried chicory root, tomatoes, blueberries, raspberries, yucca schidigera extract, dried Enterococcus faecium fermentation product, dried Lactobacillus acidophilus fermentation product, dried Lactobacillus casei fermentation product, dried Lactobacillus plantarum fermentation product, dried Trichoderma longibrachiatum fermentation extract, vitamin E supplement, iron proteinate, zinc proteinate, copper proteinate, ferrous sulfate, zinc sulfate, copper sulfate, potassium iodide, thiamine mononitrate (vitamin B1), manganese proteinate, manganous oxide, ascorbic acid, vitamin A supplement, biotin, niacin, calcium pantothenate, manganese sulfate, sodium selenite, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), vitamin B12 supplement, riboflavin (vitamin B2), vitamin D supplement, folic acid.
CALORIE CONTENT

3,590 kcals/kg (336 kcals/cup) Calculated Metabolizable Energy
Guaranteed Analysis
Crude Protein 24.0% minimum
Crude Fat 14.0% minimum
Crude Fiber 3.0% maximum
Moisture 10.0% maximum
Zinc 150 mg/kg
minimum
Selenium 0.4 mg/kg
minimum
Vitamin E 150 IU/kg minimum
Omega-6 Fatty Acids* 2.4% minimum
Omega-3 Fatty Acids* 0.3% minimum
Red
Addicted to PBF

Re: Any experience with Nature's Domain dog food?

Postby mtlu » Thu Sep 15, 2011 12:27 am

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=128956&start=45
The last page of this ^^ thread has some observations. heartbullies might be able to give you more detail about how Booker did on it.
mtlu
Addicted to PBF

Postby Red » Thu Sep 15, 2011 12:56 am

Thanks for the link Charlotte. I got a bag last week, just based on the ingredients and the fact that keeping 5 dogs on NV and TOTW plus the rest of the stuff they get in not exactly cheap. Not sure I want to open that bag yet, I was just curious to hear what other people noticed when feeding it.
Red
Addicted to PBF

Postby heartbullies » Thu Sep 15, 2011 1:21 am

B did fine on the salmon, his poop was bigger/fluffier than on TOTW, and with only 1 dog it wasn't a huge cost savings for me. Certainly the poop was not a huge difference, and my coworkers and a couple friends have been feeding the Nature's Domain, both kinds, to their crews with no ill effect. Just adjust the food as needed, the % of fat and protein and calories is a little different than the TOTW.

Sent from my ATRIX using Tapatalk
heartbullies
Regulator

Postby MissKitty » Thu Sep 15, 2011 3:19 am

I fed it to fosters and Apollo before I adopted him.
The dogs did fine on it, not spectacular, but fine. Much bigger poops than on brands like Natural Balance, Wellness , etc. But not nearly as big or running as the dogs I have fed Kirkland Lamb and Rice.
MissKitty
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby BabyReba » Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:51 am

i fed it for a while, when they started carrying it here. the dogs did poop a LOT more than they do on TOTW and California Natural (the other foods i've fed over the years). doc and button did fine on it, other than the extra poop. but something in the food made tucker itch like nobody's business. he's normally not an itchy dog, and after we switched him back to TOTW, the itching subsided, so i'm fairly certain it was food-related.

i just finished the last bag of Nature's Domain and decided to switch all three back to TOTW.
BabyReba
Regulator

Postby ewwies » Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:53 am

I'm on my 2nd bag.. we have had zero issues and all 3 dogs love it.

Deno started to break out with those skin lesions a lot more than usual when I switched to Kirkland Chicken/rice, a little less breakout when I tried the lamb.. and now he has had hardly any since he's been on Nature's Domain .. so I am happy for that. I expected to see a change in his poop after reading reviews from other members - but I did not see any.
ewwies
Addicted to PBF

Postby ilovetyson » Thu Sep 15, 2011 12:14 pm

Jade is on the 2nd bag of Natures Domain the Salmon one. She has Sever food allergies, so trying to find a food that is Goof for her, that doesn't cost a arm and a leg for 20lbs.. This was a good option. Since i do foster I wanted something I could feed everyone, if I feed her one food, and other dogs another... and I miss picking up kibble that may have been knocked out the bowl... That could be a big ol' Mess. She was on TOTW for almost 2 yrs. And did Ok On it, But was getting Extremely itchy, her feet she was licking a lot more, and she was getting a LOT more eye gook. And I read up that some people were having issues with TOTW as well, with there dog being itchy, so I switched over to "now natural" for a cpl bags, It was a high protein food, which is OK. But it was like 50ish dollars for 24lbs. :-O And she was only able to eat like 3/4cup food a day other wise she gained a lot of weight, But she was always acting hungry.. So, I tried the Natures Domain per suggestion of someone in one of the rescues local..and so far so good. She has never been a massive pooper, so I don't see much a difference there. Her coat is still soft and shiney. And she eats 1.5 cups a day of this, and seems to be doing ok on it. She isn't anymore itchy then normal, and no eye gooks like on TOTW. But I am gonna keep trying with it (as we just bought the 2nd bag and also a 3rd stashed as I have to go with someone that has a Costco acct LOL) And if she continues to do well.. she will stay on it, If not.. we will switch yet again! Lol
ilovetyson
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby Adrianne » Fri Sep 16, 2011 8:03 pm

I use it as a back up feed, not amazing, not bad. IMO
Adrianne
Regulator

Postby HappyPuppy » Mon Mar 05, 2012 3:17 pm

Well - I got a bag today. Our Costco finally just started carrying it since our last trip a month ago! I've been writing in to Costco's 'suggestion box' for months trying to get them to pick up a grain free kibble! I'm curious to see what poop changes there will be since I'm switching over from Kirkland chicken and rice.... I love that it is salmon based since I feed raw dinners and Ruby was getting a lot of chicken when I fed the chicken and rice for breakfast....

Red, what were your results?
HappyPuppy
Addicted to PBF

Postby Red » Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:16 am

HappyPuppy wrote:Red, what were your results?

Nothing, really, since I continued to feed Taste Of The Wild and Wellness Simple Food Solution for Sneaky.
Red
Addicted to PBF

Postby Sarah » Tue Mar 06, 2012 2:30 am

HappyPuppy wrote:Well - I got a bag today. Our Costco finally just started carrying it since our last trip a month ago! I've been writing in to Costco's 'suggestion box' for months trying to get them to pick up a grain free kibble! I'm curious to see what poop changes there will be since I'm switching over from Kirkland chicken and rice.... I love that it is salmon based since I feed raw dinners and Ruby was getting a lot of chicken when I fed the chicken and rice for breakfast....

Red, what were your results?

I switched mine to this a couple months ago, from TOTW, and noticed no difference. They looked/acted good on the TOTW, and continue to do so on the Natures Domain. I started with a bag of the salmon formula (since I'd fed the salmon TOTW and they'd been fine on that), and then a bag of the turkey formula. Just started a 2nd bag of the turkey formula. (it's a few dollars cheaper)
Sarah
Dabbling Dog Coddler

Postby ilovetyson » Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:42 pm

Jade is still on the food, and doing well. Her coat is still shiney, her gas never happens, and the vet said she looks great for her age. :) I recomend it for people with Multi dogs, or that have a smaller budget :)
ilovetyson
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby suzanne » Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:22 pm

I posted a while back about trying to get my Pit Bull to gain a few more pounds. I put him on Canidae and was still having to feed like 4-5 cups per day to maintain his weight at 57-58. I went through two bags, so probably about 6 weeks worth and both Sepp and Seth got horribly flaky skin and were shedding really bad. I switched back over to the Nature's Domain, Sepp finally hit 60lbs on 4 cups of food and I've cut him back to 3 cups per day, Seth is getting 2-3 cups per day and he's about 55lbs, and LiLo is getting 1 cup per day and maintaining. It doesn't matter what I feed them, they all poop huge but their skin is definitely way happier. We've just started doing a lot of biking so we'll see how they maintain but I am really, really happy with this food.
suzanne
Adolescent Bully

Return to Health Issues