Dog food for dieting,one for obese dog one for tubby pitty:)

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Dog food for dieting,one for obese dog one for tubby pitty:)

Postby jrowephoto » Thu Sep 15, 2011 2:48 pm

Hey everyone,

Brody (120 pound yellow lab/golden retriever mix) woke up a few weeks ago and was limping really bad again :(. I went with my father to the vet and they said they would like to see Brody in the 90-97 pound range, due to his size/build. They put him on Hines r/d diet, anyone heard of this or know anything about it? This stuff is very expensive, and I was wondering if there was any other weight loss food that any of you could recommend for Brody?

Also, Lucy is about 65 pounds of love, but needs to be about 55-60 :) I've slacked off on our walking/running and am trying to get back into a regular routine, and I would like to get her a bit leaner. Suggestions?

Chopper, poor chopper needs to put some meat on his bones but not much...he'll start filling out before I know it and faaaaaaast

Thank you everyone :D
jrowephoto
Super Bully

Re: Dog food for dieting,one for obese dog one for tubby pit

Postby Curly_07 » Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:16 pm

I dropped 30 lbs off Lady Bug over about a 3 month period by putting her on TOTW Pacific Stream at 1 1/2 cups twice/day. I also added in a few 15 min walks every day(she couldn't do more physichally, and has a heart murmur). She has kept this weight for about 6 months now, and I still feed and do the same exercise amounts. I think she was just way overfed by whoever had her before I adopted her.
Curly_07
Regulator

Postby Enigma » Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:21 pm

I've had a lot of success with Acana Light&Fit :thumbsup:
Enigma
Forum Junky

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:22 pm

The number to look for is the kcal/cup in a dog food. The lower the number. The more a dog can eat, still lose weight and not be starving.

r/d is around 280 kcal/cup and is full of fibre tO keep dogs feeling full.
Alot of commercial foods are around 400 kcal/cup which would mean you would be feeding very small amounts to get your pup to lose weight.

Do some googling, look for something that's around the low 300's and bump up the frequency (not intensity) of exercise!
AllisonPitbullLvr
Regulator

Postby Amie » Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:25 pm

Give the dog food in work-to-eat toys, give him more chew toys that take a long time, and give him lots of frequent gentle exercise, so his brain is always in gear and he doesn't have time to feel as hungry.
Amie
Regulator

Postby Enigma » Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:33 pm

AllisonPibbleLvr wrote:Do some googling, look for something that's around the low 300's
Acana Light&Fit is 325kcal/cup, it worked wonders when my mom's two terrier mixes gained too much weight.

Kimmy before:

Kimmy now:

Increasing exercise and cutting back on food or feeding light food works great for loosing weight :thumbsup:
Enigma
Forum Junky

Postby jrowephoto » Fri Sep 16, 2011 8:34 am

great info here everyone, thank you very much. I will check these out, magnolia is so limited on what they sell that we have to go over an hour away to get anything other than Pedigree, Ol' Roy (*Vomit*), or Diamond (i've been using this, the high performance bags)

if anyone else has any suggestions i'm all ears/eyes too ;)
jrowephoto
Super Bully

Postby jamielvsaustin » Fri Sep 16, 2011 9:02 am

I'm having this issue with my cats :( My vet put Charlie on a diet. We were feeding Purina One Beyond and we feed each cat 1/4 cup twice a day. They gave us a prescription card for a Science Diet formula-which I bought, but I don't want to use.

Allison is it the same for cats? Just look for a bag with less calories per serving? And we should be feeding them the amount of calories for the weight we want them at, not their current weight-correct?

Any suggestions on cat food?

Sorry to thread hijack Jrowe.
jamielvsaustin
Regulator

Postby mtlu » Fri Sep 16, 2011 9:59 am

AllisonPibbleLvr wrote:The number to look for is the kcal/cup in a dog food. The lower the number. The more a dog can eat, still lose weight and not be starving.

I do agree that lower kcals/cup is a good thing to look for when trying to reduce weight but still think ingredient analysis is still worth looking at. Molly lost weight on Wellness Core Ocean which is 415kcals/cup and I had to feed her more than the recommended amount on the bag (which usually seems to be too much) and she still got really ribby. It (WCO) has a lower fat to protein ratio than many of the other kibble we have tried so she was using more protein from the food for energy rather than the fat.

jrowephoto – are you feeding the Diamond Performance Formula? According to their website, the crude analysis is:
Protein: 30% Fat: 20%
Calories: 3,982 kcal/kg (448 kcal/cup) Calculated ME

The ratio of 30% protein to 20% fat makes it an ideal food for dogs that get a ton of exercise or work all day as they will burn through the fat for energy. The protein:fat ratio is also the same for their puppy food so maybe just keep Chopper on that. If the Diamond brand seems to work well in general for all the dogs, maybe switching to one of their other formulas (the rest seem to have more moderate protein:fat levels) will also help in addition to trying to increase their exercise.
mtlu
Addicted to PBF

Postby Timas Mom » Fri Sep 16, 2011 1:24 pm

Hills RD
Ground Whole Grain Corn, Corn Gluten Meal, Chicken By-Product Meal, Powdered Cellulose 10.4% (source of fiber), Soybean Mill Run, Soybean Meal, Chicken Liver Flavor, Dried Beet Pulp, Soybean Oil, Iron Oxide, DL-Methionine, L-Lysine, Potassium Chloride, Vitamin E Supplement, vitamins (L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate (source of vitamin C), Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin, Thiamine Mononitrate, Vitamin A Supplement, Calcium Pantothenate, Biotin, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Riboflavin, Folic Acid, Vitamin D3 Supplement), Choline Chloride, Taurine, minerals (Manganese Sulfate, Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Oxide, Copper Sulfate, Calcium Iodate, Sodium Selenite), L-Carnitine, preserved with Mixed Tocopherols & Citric Acid, Beta-Carotene, Rosemary Extract.

Expense bag of crap. Corn Gluten Meal is a great industrial fertilizer.

I second the vote for Acana Light and Fit.
Timas Mom
Matured Bully

Postby Adrianne » Fri Sep 16, 2011 2:07 pm

Try Petflow.com or another similar website for home delivery dog food. It opens your options a lot for what you can get in your home town.

Also consider feeding less as opposed to different?
Adrianne
Regulator

Postby jrowephoto » Fri Sep 16, 2011 3:15 pm

Adrianne wrote:Try Petflow.com or another similar website for home delivery dog food. It opens your options a lot for what you can get in your home town.

Also consider feeding less as opposed to different?

Thanks Adrianne, ill check that site out. I've always fed Lucy ~2 cups of the diamond high performance, and the VERY occasional treat (dog bone when i put her in her kennel in the morning). Nothing really excessive, she just doesn't get near the excercize she used to get which is changing now. (guilty) When i started her on the high performance diamond food, she was a lot more active. Now she's packing it on, but only from 2 cups a day? odd
jrowephoto
Super Bully

Postby Enigma » Fri Sep 16, 2011 3:56 pm

jrowephoto wrote:Now she's packing it on, but only from 2 cups a day? odd
Not really. High performance dog foods are made for just that - high performance dogs. A couch potato will gain weight on these types of food.
Enigma
Forum Junky

Postby BrokenAquarian » Fri Sep 16, 2011 8:59 pm

High performance food is NOT normal dog food and should not be fed to normal house pets. It's for serious working dogs that are super active all day and have high metabolisms.

Even 2 cups a day is too much for a regular dog. Gotta get 'em off that high performance stuff and onto something made for your average pet - except without all the corn. :)
BrokenAquarian
Addicted to PBF

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Sun Sep 18, 2011 8:16 am

If I fed my dogs less than 2 cups a day, they would mutiny.

Buddy gets 3 cups of j/d and Obi gets 4 cups of medi cal preventive and both dogs are slim and trim.
AllisonPitbullLvr
Regulator

Next

Return to Health Issues