New dog - just neutered - vet guidelines?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

New dog - just neutered - vet guidelines?

Postby Norcal_Sun » Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:18 pm

Hello all-

I just brought home an adult male dog from the shelter. He had to be neutered before we could bring him home. He was fixed on Monday and today is Thursday. His incision looks great seems to be healing nicely. Now we are trying to follow the vet guidelines which are as follows:

"Restrict activity for 7-10 days to inside the house or other clean, dry confined area. Leash walks only, do not allow heavy exercise."

Well we are dying to play with our dog and we are taking him on short walks in our yard. What do you think they mean by leash walks? I would like to take him on a good walk every day, he is pretty well leash trained.

Opinions, comments?

thank you in advance!
Norcal_Sun
Newborn Bully

Re: New dog - just neutered - vet guidelines?

Postby Amie » Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:09 pm

Leash walk means just that - he can walk with you on leash, but no off-leash romping (which he's more likely to do at a run) - you want to keep his activity fairly mild.

To help give you patience while waiting for him to heal from his surgery, you may want to read the Two Week Shut Downthread, which gives great advice for helping your dog through the transition of his new home. It's just for adult dogs, not puppies, but it'll help explain why taking a little extra time now will make a world of difference in your family's long-term lives!
Amie
Regulator

Re: New dog - just neutered - vet guidelines?

Postby Norcal_Sun » Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:05 pm

you may want to read the Two Week Shut Downthread, which gives great advice for helping your dog through the transition of his new home

Oh my gosh! Thank you so much for posting that thread. It makes complete sense.. and I notice that "look" on my doggie's face, the look of watchfulness or caution, whatever you might call it. I am looking forward to seeing a big doggy grin, although he has done that a few times :)
Norcal_Sun
Newborn Bully

Return to Health Issues