Can you see any lameness??

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Can you see any lameness??

Postby nic » Sun Sep 18, 2011 2:58 pm

In the rear of any of these dogs?
Sorry about the crappy videos,but would really appreciate some imput,thanks.

http://youtu.be/y3w3GORQHfs

http://youtu.be/FOUjN7hAO-c

http://youtu.be/l30D6RZaQWY
nic
Forum Junky

Re: Can you see any lameness??

Postby mtlu » Sun Sep 18, 2011 3:50 pm

I see something very subtle going on with Floozie's rear left leg in the first video – is there a way you can have Pete walk her on leash on pavement or dirt to videotape her?
mtlu
Addicted to PBF

Postby nic » Sun Sep 18, 2011 3:58 pm

Good idea.Its 10 oclock at night here and dark here now,but I will do in the morning.
Floozie was extremely lame on her rear right yesterday,like holding it up in her groin sometimes.I was terrified she'd bust her cruciate.
Today as you can see barely anything noticeable on the right.(She has a small and healing cut on her rear left,so hopefully that's all that was about)
Thanks for the reply. :)
Oh and is it possible for them to damage a cruciate,be totally non weight bearing one day,then as good as she is 12 hours later? (praying its not!!!)
nic
Forum Junky

Postby mtlu » Sun Sep 18, 2011 4:13 pm

Unfortunately, yes, lameness can be intermittent with partial cruciate damage. Hopefully it's just a soft tissue thing. I did notice at the very start of the first video that she did a toe curl and held up her right leg while taking a pee. Everything else I noticed was very slight hesitation with her left footing but since you mention that she had a small cut on her left leg (foot?), that would explain the hesitation and the very slight lack of weight bearing when she was at the water dish.
mtlu
Addicted to PBF

Postby nic » Sun Sep 18, 2011 4:23 pm

mtlu wrote:Unfortunately, yes, lameness can be intermittent with partial cruciate damage. Hopefully it's just a soft tissue thing. I did notice at the very start of the first video that she did a toe curl and held up her right leg while taking a pee. Everything else I noticed was very slight hesitation with her left footing but since you mention that she had a small cut on her left leg (foot?), that would explain the hesitation and the very slight lack of weight bearing when she was at the water dish.

Damn it :( can the lameness go from really severe to none,with no inbetween?Just trying to understand.
The toe curl thing she has always done Mookie does it too,and actually now I think of it lots of SBT's I know do it.I'll get a pic of her little cut too tommmorow.
On Saturday she was slightly lame in the morning,i found the cut,which is small and already scabbed over,so i didn't think much of it.
I took her to my friend's and let her run like crzy,playing with other dogs,tugging,playing fetch,and she was a bit lame but I put it down to the cut.
It wasn't till I got home and she was really lame that I rechecked and realised the cut was on the wrong foot for the lameness! :po: So angry at myself for not realising.
I'm going to rest her this week,she's goingto see her osteopath on Wed see what he can find,and obviously she'll go to the vets if she goes lame again.
Thanks again for the reply.
nic
Forum Junky

Postby Leslie H » Sun Sep 18, 2011 8:13 pm

I can't really see anything, but I can't watch jiggly videos, I get motion sick. Don't forget puppies are more willing to limp than grown dogs. I hope she's OK.
Leslie H
Regulator

Postby nic » Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:58 am

Yep sorry the vid was crap,I kinda wanted to throw people of the scent so to speak by not saying which dog it was and getting little clip of everyone,there was no shaking Charlotte off though :)
Pete went out to work when it was dark this morning,so hope to get better vid tonight,but I have to say there is no sign of lameness,and believe me I am neurotic when it comes to this sort of thing,and if it were there,I'd almost certainly see it.
So more rest for her this week,I don't want to take her to my vet whilst she's sound,as they're pretty old school and will just tell me to rest her anyway.
I do know a great orthopedic surgeon though,who put a plate in my Boxer Boo's wrist,and has seen Shady,so if she goes lame again,I'll get my vet to refer me straight over there.
Oh and here's a pic of the cut,tiny,but obviously 2 days more healed than it was on Saturday,when I wrongly thought it was the cause of the lameness.

nic
Forum Junky

Postby pblove » Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:25 am

I see left hind stiffness on Floozie. She seems to be sore from left hip down thru her leg, like her entire left side is propelling her left leg in a stiff,m force gait, not fluent like an oiled joint. It is not the type of 'shortness' I would expect to see from that cut foot imho. (in case your not sure what I mean when I say 'short', it is a term used for hard to see lameness in horses, when they are walking but their strides are 'short' from pain or an injury)
Charlotee answered the cruciate questions spot on. I have seen dogs 3 leg lame and in the same day, running on all fours.
got any chiropractoers you use, maybe an adjustment is needed?
pblove
Addicted to PBF

Postby nic » Mon Sep 19, 2011 12:05 pm

Thanks for the reply,the cut is on the right hind foot,o I don't think its responsible for her left leg problem.
I've been watching her all day,haven't walked her,but have let her be out about the house,in the garden,but not letting her do anything 'fast or active'.
I've been staring at her right hind as much as left,as I think if you stare too long at only the one,even normal starts to look weird.Can't see any stiffness or anything weird on either?
Its possible that just because of exercise she got on Saturday,she could def have stiff sore muscles,but the main problem started before the exercise,so I'm not excusing the main problem away on the exercise,but it could certainly be a contributing and seperate thing.
I'll speak to her osteopath on wed about the chiropractor,but osteopaths treat the whole body so I don't think it will be necessary,I used to take them to a chiropractor,but stopped when I started with the osteopath,who is also a top agility competitor and trainer and has a huge understanding of what these dogs bodies go through.
Thanks again for the reply. :)
nic
Forum Junky

Postby mtlu » Mon Sep 19, 2011 12:13 pm

You can thank Molly for giving me lots of practice on spotting gait anomalies and general fretting over joint issues lol

I'm glad Sharon saw this and I agree with her assessment too. There is a very slight timing lag and lack of smoothness with Floozie's left leg – if you compare her movement to where Mindy is walking away from the camera, you will see that Mindy's movement is very smooth, timing of feet touching the ground is consistent and her feet placement/tracking is very consistent also. What is weird though is that both Sharon and I are spotting her left leg being "off" but it was her right leg that was being held up the other day?

*edit* Just saw your reply and I think the osteopath will be the way to go – I've been trying to find one in SF...
mtlu
Addicted to PBF

Postby nic » Mon Sep 19, 2011 12:34 pm

mtlu wrote:You can thank Molly for giving me lots of practice on spotting gait anomalies and general fretting over joint issues lol

I'm glad Sharon saw this and I agree with her assessment too. There is a very slight timing lag and lack of smoothness with Floozie's left leg – if you compare her movement to where Mindy is walking away from the camera, you will see that Mindy's movement is very smooth, timing of feet touching the ground is consistent and her feet placement/tracking is very consistent also. What is weird though is that both Sharon and I are spotting her left leg being "off" but it was her right leg that was being held up the other day?

*edit* Just saw your reply and I think the osteopath will be the way to go – I've been trying to find one in SF...

lol you get to be experts once you've been affected huh?
Yep it was def the right which was up on Saturday,which again could have caused her left leg some problems as it had to take all the weight and would have been being used abnormally.
With the comparison to Mindy I get what you're seeing,but Mindy's also trotting versus Floozie mostly just walking.
Pete is working late now :po: but I will definitly get some better vid as soon as its possible.
I'll be seeing her osteopath tonight at training,and will ask him if he has treated dogs who have injured the cruciate,if he's familiar with what they feel like etc,I'm certain he will have.
I wish I could just take her in and get an x ray amd know one way or the other,but it doesn't work like that does it?Seems a bit extreme to get an MRI just because she has been lame one day out of her whole life lol.
What I find weird is that she has hard exercise every day of her life,and indeed on that Saturday.What I can't understamd is that if she had injured the ligament on the Fri,as she was lame Sat am,that the 2 hours of non stop running,tugging and playing rough with the other dogs wouldn't have injured it more?I'm not disagreeing that that could be the case,I just find it hard to understand.
Still trying to be positive here,no lameness again today,just a very bored Floozie.
nic
Forum Junky

Postby nic » Mon Sep 19, 2011 12:35 pm

Right sorry just realised I said the cut is on her right paw,its on her left......left ,God I'm going slightly mad already!!
nic
Forum Junky

Postby pblove » Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:22 pm

nic wrote:Right sorry just realised I said the cut is on her right paw,its on her left......left ,God I'm going slightly mad already!!

:thumbsup:
I am glad you reposted it was her left because I went back. looked at the picture and thought I was loosing it, swore that was a left hind foot in that picture

p.s. Paige (my dog) and I just got home from our chiropractor appointment this evening. My chiro does people and long term client's dogs . Thankfully she only needed a few minor adjustments.
pblove
Addicted to PBF

Postby nic » Tue Sep 20, 2011 2:01 am

That's cool that you also see the chiropracter,so you understand the benefits,and feel how it feels during and after a treatment.
I really should get seen by someone,nearly 20 years of dog grooming has taken its toll on my body,but I can't afford to take me to one!

New vid from this morning,still not the greatest,but Pete is really pushed for time before work,he takes Bug and Mindy out for half hour,and we clean the ferrets out together,and them he is outta here!

http://youtu.be/8egPZVVd_Mw

I see zero lameness today,and what I really know is what the dogs foot steps sound like on our wooden floor,and that sounds completly normal and regular.
I took her down to the corner of the street and let her have a sniff about,but we were only out about 3 minutes.She's been trying to get frozen chicken out of a big kong for the past 44 mins lol.I never knew how long it took her to empty a kong as I always give her them when I go out.She's only about half way through,and she won't give up toll she's got every last scrap of meat out of it,so at least she's not bored.
nic
Forum Junky

Postby mtlu » Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:53 am

How is Floozie doing? I didn't really see anything of concern either in the newer video so hopefully it was just a muscle thing :)
mtlu
Addicted to PBF

Next

Return to Health Issues