Belly rash

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Belly rash

Postby Munkos » Tue Sep 20, 2011 2:04 pm

Dante keeps licking his belly/around his boy parts (but not his actual parts). Some days it's so bad he gets a bit scabby and very red. Other times, he'll leave it completely alone for a day or two and it totally clears up. He mostly licks while he's in his crate (he does have toys/things to chew on/do) It happens with or without bedding in there - so I don't think it has anything to do with his bedding/detergent. We've been battling this for about 8 months now. We have taken him to the vet for it, and they really don't have much of an idea. They did give us a shampoo to use, that we have to rub on and leave for 10 minutes, then rinse off. It does work, but we have to keep using it or he starts licking again and his belly rashes up again, and we have to use it multiple times a day - and it takes two people to hold down a 3 legged dog for 10 minutes, especially now that I'm pregnant and not as agile as I was a few months ago!

This all originally started when he started having accidents in his crate. We also took him to the vet for that and everything came back clear - he had accidents a few times a week for about a month, and then it completely stopped. The vet ruled it behavioral, and we assumed the rash/red belly was urine burn or irritation from laying on wet blankets when we weren't home. But he hasn't had an accident in the crate for about 7 months, and it persists!

We don't think it's food since it comes and goes. I'm wondering if it's not a boredom thing? Anyone else have any other ideas?
Munkos
Super Bully

Re: Belly rash

Postby pblove » Tue Sep 20, 2011 3:36 pm

it could be yeast problems
site has a lot to read but informative and very interesting

http://www.greatdanelady.com/articles/s ... course.htm
pblove
Addicted to PBF

Re: Belly rash

Postby Misskiwi67 » Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:24 pm

Sounds like yeasty issues to me too... Romeo gets like that when he's gotten into something he's not supposed to (he has food allergies). The only way to know is to get a cytology from your vet. Sticky tape cytologies are my favorite for picking up yeast, and I prefer to treat with anti-fungal shampoos.

I'm not a big fan of great dane lady's info, but don't disagree with pblove's assessment
Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Return to Health Issues