Leaving a dog alone for 12+ hours

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Re: Leaving a dog alone for 12+ hours

Postby FBODGRL » Wed Sep 21, 2011 3:23 pm

jamielvsaustin wrote:I don't like it and I hope I never have to do it. 12-13 hour shifts means you only have 11-12 hours left in the day...likely 8 of those you'll be sleeping. that's at least 19 hours of no interaction for the dog. It just seems too long to me.

I am sitting her looking at Khan laying on the floor grinning and resting. He just got done with a fun fetch exercise session. Pretty sure he is not feeling neglected.

We will take a nap together in a bit, then wake up and do some training and grooming before work.
FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF

Postby jamielvsaustin » Wed Sep 21, 2011 3:42 pm

I guess we're just going to have to agree to disagree. Just because you can do something, doesn't always mean you should. There are going to be stellar owners and not so stellar owners. I'm thinking the majority aren't going to be great, and to encourage them that this is okay isn't going to be beneficial. Every once in a while seems like less of a big deal to me and 12/13 hours does seem better than a full 24 hours with a small break in the middle...but it still makes me uncomfortable.
jamielvsaustin
Regulator

Postby Red » Wed Sep 21, 2011 4:02 pm

jamielvsaustin wrote:There are going to be stellar owners and not so stellar owners. I'm thinking the majority aren't going to be great, and to encourage them that this is okay isn't going to be beneficial.

Agreed. For example, many dogs are living 9-10 hours in a crate during the day and living in them all night too and yet people argue to no end about how it is okey and their dogs are happy. It is about what people want/need and less about what the dog needs.
Red
Addicted to PBF

Postby mommy2kane » Wed Sep 21, 2011 4:50 pm

Unfortunately, we can't all be at home all day -- this topic has come up several times, and it's just another topic where people can put down those who crate their dogs for the work day. If you're ok with it, that's your business. If you're not ok with it, same thing. It's like everyone needs to seek approval of everyone else. And give their opinion on who should own dogs and who shouldn't, based on work and crates and time alone.

I have dogs in kennels, and I have a dog who is crated. I've toyed with the idea of trying to leave him out in a room during the work day, but it makes me nervous. I'd rather have a dog crated during the day, and not come home to a dead dog or sick dog or whatever. We've left him out in the house when we've gone out to dinner, or short trips like that. Just haven't increased it to a work day. And even so, he'd still be at home, with "no socialization or human interaction" -- he's fine. Dogs may want to be with their owner all day long, and some owners may want to be with their dog all day long, but if you have to work and can't bring the dog with you, then you have time apart. Do people think the dog is going to become mentally ill or fearful or unstable because of the lack of interaction during the day? Honest question ...
mommy2kane
Addicted to PBF

Postby AbbyGirl352 » Wed Sep 21, 2011 4:52 pm

jamielvsaustin wrote:There are going to be stellar owners and not so stellar owners. I'm thinking the majority aren't going to be great...

I think that is ridiculous that you can accuse people to be less than "stellar" pet owners because they chose to work a longer shift. Working at the hospital, I can't even imagine how much more stressed I would be if I didn't have Dexter at home.
AbbyGirl352
Super Bully

Postby Red » Wed Sep 21, 2011 5:08 pm

Ah, the "it is my/your business" usual comment. Why just not post at all so that people won't give any opinion on a *gasp* forum? That might solve the problem.
Red
Addicted to PBF

Postby starrlamia » Wed Sep 21, 2011 5:22 pm

AbbyGirl352 wrote:
jamielvsaustin wrote:There are going to be stellar owners and not so stellar owners. I'm thinking the majority aren't going to be great...

I think that is ridiculous that you can accuse people to be less than "stellar" pet owners because they chose to work a longer shift. Working at the hospital, I can't even imagine how much more stressed I would be if I didn't have Dexter at home.

Just take it with a grain of salt, some people think that they do everything perfectly.

If a dog is in a crate once or twice a week for 12 hours a day I dont have a huge problem with it, as long as these dogs are getting exercise and stimulation during those days when the owner is home and plenty of it when they are off. I think keeping a dog crated 24 hours a day with a short pee break halfway through is too much, if it happened like once a month maybe... but the person IMO should invest in having the dog walker come several times a day and take the dog out for at least an hour or more.
starrlamia
Addicted to PBF

Postby jamielvsaustin » Wed Sep 21, 2011 5:31 pm

Abbygirl I never said working long hours makes someone a bad owner. I'm just saying some people aren't going to be great at dog ownership...and for those people this is a really bad option.
jamielvsaustin
Regulator

Postby mommy2kane » Wed Sep 21, 2011 5:58 pm

Red wrote:Ah, the "it is my/your business" usual comment. Why just not post at all so that people won't give any opinion on a *gasp* forum? That might solve the problem.

Huh? Right. Yes, my business, your business. Meaning, I don't ask anyone's approval prior to leaving home in the morning with my dog in a crate. Everyone has their own opinion. We're all entitled to one. Yes, that actually makes us equals. But, like another poster said, to be considered a "less than steller" owner because a dog has to be at home during the day without their own or dog walker -- come on now. This topic, like many others, is like beating a dead horse. Some people GASP at the thought of having a dog home for 8 hours! But really, it's not that big of a deal. No in MY OPINION anyway. Obviously, someone will want to report me for animal cruelty for it. That's life.
mommy2kane
Addicted to PBF

Postby Adrianne » Wed Sep 21, 2011 6:10 pm

Can we further the topic with the OP's request by backing medically or psychologically the concern of leaving a dog for extended (and potentially define this) periods of time?
Adrianne
Regulator

Postby jamielvsaustin » Wed Sep 21, 2011 6:37 pm

mommy2kane wrote:
Red wrote: But, like another poster said, to be considered a "less than steller" owner because a dog has to be at home during the day without their own or dog walker -- come on.

Again, I never said owners were less than Stella if they left their dogs home for an extended period of time. Let me clarify I simply said there is such a thing as a less than Stella owner. You put that with the fact that they work long hours and it can't be a good situation.
jamielvsaustin
Regulator

Postby PitBull-Lady » Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:04 pm

As for health effects, it might help if you know the dog. Maybe you do??

If that is the case, I'd think about how the dog acts. For instance, Flower is a total athlete, she would be beside herself if she was in a crate long term, so for instance, you might be able to use something like the individual dog's nature and possible side effects. Especially if the dog could have those tendencies toward separation anxiety. Maybe the dog is very active and destructive. Despite being in a crate, they could hurt themselves by trying to break out. That kind of thing.

I suppose in this instance I look to what my husband was able to do with our first when he was a volunteer firefighter. He used to bring Amnesty to the station with him and have her there while he was at work. She would go in the office or even the bunk room. Depending on the station, maybe someone could even bring their dog's crate and have them in there while on call. Yes, they have to run, but if my husband could do it, anyone could.
PitBull-Lady
Addicted to PBF

Postby FBODGRL » Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:10 pm

jamielvsaustin wrote:Abbygirl I never said working long hours makes someone a bad owner. I'm just saying some people aren't going to be great at dog ownership...and for those people this is a really bad option.

It seemed to be what you were implying and I can say I took it that way also.

I should add that when I work Khan is not crated and has full run of the house. He has water, all his toys, beds, etc. I would not be comfortable having him crated for 12 hour shifts.

Do I like that I have to leave him for those shifts, no. Did I know when I started working for this department I would have forced overtime basically non stop, no. Have I tried to find another job closer to home with a better schedule, yes. Unfortunately in this economy in this area I have been trying to find another job in my field for 4 1/2 years. It just isn't happening and I need to work to pay the mortgage, feed Khan, pay vet bills, etc. I do not believe Khan or any of my other animals are suffering over it though. Would they like me to be home with them 24/7...I'm sure they would!

It really is offensive when people make comments an d assume that your animals are lacking in some way.

In reference to the medical question...I can say my personal dog has no medical problems from being home for 13 hours.
FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF

Postby Adrianne » Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:29 pm

I bet Khan throws parties while you're gone. Shhhh.... :pimp:
Adrianne
Regulator

Postby Red » Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:43 pm

Jamielvsaustin, I did not see anything wrong with your posts at all, as you wrote it. I read it as a wise advice, not to encourage people to think that long term confinement and isolation is always okey.

There can be side effects of long term confinement and isolation indeed.Ever wondered why many dogs chew up or destroy items unless crated, and people cannot manage to leave them loose in a room when they are gone, for the dogs' lifetime? Because solitary confinement can be stressful and frustrating for some dogs and no, it is not always separation anxiety either.Adult dogs should not be living in a crate for more than 8 hours a day, and prolonged urine or feces retention can potentially lead to urinary tract problems as well as constipation. It is one thing to have the occasional long day in a crate or an emergency thing but on a daily bases, with no breaks in between....not ideal.Yeah, the dog might live through it with no extra vet expenses, but that does not make it exactly an ideal situation in the long run.

I am at the point to really dislike my main job and wish I could quit and get another, but it is close to home and that means that my dogs get breaks if I work a longer shift and they don't live in crates, kennels, or single rooms for long period of times.Those who keep their dogs at home for a 12 hours shift, not in a crate, have you considered one of those fake grass potty trays? That might be a good option so that the dog can at least relieves himself/herself, and it is an easy clean.

MissKitty, do you know where the dog in question would be kept, when the owner is at work?
Red
Addicted to PBF

PreviousNext

Return to Health Issues