Spaying issues.

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Spaying issues.

Postby Boss*sMom » Wed Sep 21, 2011 5:42 pm

My Min Pin got spayed yesterday. I know it says on the post op papers that all of these symptoms are normal, except the gas. She has a horrible stench about her, I called the vet and she said it is the medications on an empty stomach. She wont eat, anything, at all. I have tried it all. She wont LAY DOWN. She just stands and stares at me. The cone of shame is a living hell for her, and she wants to be under me 24/7. She is about to get her first round of pain meds at home (Picked her up at 7 this am). I know I cant give her a bath for 7 days, but is there anything that can be done about the smell? It is so strong and so bad that it is making me ill. There is nothing wrong with her incision, she is healing up fine to me. No blood, no puss, all looks good. Also I knew about the tattoo and all, but I just dont know how I feel about it, Its ugly and kind of big on her. I know, I know. It is for her good in case she gets lost and they can tell she is spayed, but Its still ugly :(

*sigh* I just really want/need this smell to go away, and for her to eat. I'm about to cook dinner so maybe I can entice her with some chicken or noodles.

She also loves to be under covers, and that is hard for her with the cone. Its also uncomfortable when she pokes me with is and tries her best to cuddle but just cant :( My poor baby girl!! :crybaby: :crybaby: :crybaby:
Boss*sMom
Super Bully

Re: Spaying issues.

Postby GoingPostal » Wed Sep 21, 2011 6:01 pm

You could wipe her down with some baby wipes or something maybe, what kind of tattoo did they do on her? One of my females has a spay tat but it's just a small blue line and not really noticeable, also if she's not messing with the incision and you are watching her, cuddling or whatever take off the cone, just use it for when she's not being supervised. Is it one of those big plastic hard ones? You can buy soft ones or those round donut inflatables but if you can't find one locally it's probably not worth shipping one because of the time frame.
GoingPostal
Forum Junky

Postby I<3mypit » Wed Sep 21, 2011 6:59 pm

I found a donut shaped "cone" for Trinity when she had her surgery. It worked very well. Although we only used it when we couldn't supervise her. If she even looked like she was going to touch her incision i would make an "ah ah" noise and she stopped. As for not eating Trinity did the same thing so we hid her pills in yogurt and cottage cheese. She loved it!
I<3mypit
Newborn Bully

Postby I<3mypit » Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:00 pm

I forgot to mention. I found the donut at Pet Supplies Plus, but you should be able to find it at any larger pet store.
I<3mypit
Newborn Bully

Postby Boss*sMom » Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:09 pm

I will be going to PetSmart tomorrow. For now she is in her crate, no cone, and I put some of her clothes on her. She is much more herself in the clothes and more comfortable, and she cant get to her incision, the clothes I have her in dont rub her incision either. Yay for having dog clothes on hand?
Boss*sMom
Super Bully

Postby Misskiwi67 » Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:27 pm

Try baby wipes around her backside. Many dog will empty their colon and/or their anal glands while they are under anesthesia, and they can't get cleaned up until after the surgeon is done because of the sterile drapes etc. If that doesn't fix the smell, then I'm not sure what happened.
Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby pblove » Fri Sep 23, 2011 8:47 pm

I use 50 % water, 50% white vinegar.
Dip either soft wash clothh or paper towels in mixture and wipe around where ever the smell is or entire dog , let air dry. I wring out the wash cloth or paper towels really well so fur is not dripping wet.
In the past have had dogs with allergic reaction to baby wipes so only use the vinegar and water now.
I also use the vinegar/water to clean around anal glands stink if they have leaked, does a good job with all odors in general and will help with any yeast, hot spots or other itchy issues.
pblove
Addicted to PBF

Postby Boss*sMom » Sun Oct 02, 2011 12:57 am

Okay, she is all healed up and back to normal... But we do have one "issue" she is humping the living daylights out of anything that will sit still for her. Boss Man looks at her like "WTH are you doing?" She is litterally jumping on his back and "riding" him. She also tried to hump our female boston who doesn't like her to start with. Is this normal? She has never done this before, none of our dogs have (Except our male boston who has an odd obcession with the car tires on my cousins car).
Boss*sMom
Super Bully

Postby Misskiwi67 » Sun Oct 02, 2011 10:27 am

She is probably wound up from all the restricted activity. Time to get her some excercise and treat the humping like any other obnoxious puppy behavior. Distract and redirect just like you would for inappropriate chewing etc.
Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Return to Health Issues